Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Heather

Practically Family
I always decant my cold cream into this jar.

jrqx5v.jpg

Are there any special steps that should be taken to do this? I've always wanted to put my cold cream in a pretty little vintage jar!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Not really, I just made sure the jar was really clean. It was empty when my husband bought it for me, and he washed it out really well for me with soap & hot water. I just use a tablespoon & ladle my cold cream into it. Each time I empty & refill it, it gets washed thoroughly in between.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal that jar is awesome ! I found one of those old glass jars with a rubber seal on a shelf at home that has "Le Parfait "Super" " set into the glass on the lid and I knew I had to put my cold cream in there! I have no idea what it used to have in it but I just cleaned it out with soap and water and then sterilised it with boiling water making sure to do it in the sink in case the glass was fragile or had any cracks and that it wasn't too cold. I love it !

P3110144-1.jpg

P3110143.jpg

Last edited:

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Pinapplefruitcake, that's a French canning jar. I'm always on the lookout for those as they are handy for everything. Even cold cream!

Lenore

Practically Family
So I'm back to cold cream after going to OCM... I missed the smell of my Jergen's and my night time routine with my four year old, who wants to be just like mommy. Every night before bath we'd wash our faces with cold cream together. I missed that and so did she, so we're back to cold cream as the OCM was just too messy to do with a four year old, and the ritual is much more important to me than trying something new when the old works just fine. :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I picked up a jar of Noxzema at Target today, figure I'll try it during the summer when cold cream feels too heavy in the heat. Anyone else use Noxzema? I remember trying it once when I was a teenager, but don't remember much about it.

2hz1t9h.jpg

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, I used the Noxzema to remove my makeup when I got home from work. I really liked it! With cold cream, it takes at least 3 applications to get all of my makeup completely off. Noxzema did it in 2 applications - I just rubbed it on and removed with a hot wet wash cloth just like I do with cold cream. My skin feels very clean, and not dried or stripped, or oily/filmy. The menthol did burn a bit when I accidentally got it in my eye, but not much. I'm very anxious to see how it works over the next few days, especially as I'm in the middle of a "monthly" breakout. Looking forward to using it during the hot Texas summers when cold cream just feels too heavy.

So far I am sold! (Especially at $3.99 for a huge 12 oz tub, vs $7 for a 6 oz. tub of Ponds!)

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Noway! I need to try this magical lotion! :D

^ Way. :lol:

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised. I never expected good results. I will say a "breakout" for me is fairly minor compared to some - a few red spots on chin (the itchy kind that you just *know* are going to turn into a pimple shortly) and maybe 3 actual pimples, but nothing I was doing was helping. The existing ones wouldn't go away and just last night I had a new whitehead come up on my forehead. Ugh. I used the Noxzema last night and this morning (this morning with my Olay rotating brush) and my skin is totally clear. I'm amazed, really.

I'm anxious to use it for a few more days and see how it does. I am not sure if with the menthol & camphor it might be too "harsh" for daily use when my skin is doing fine, so I'll have to wait and see. For breakouts and greasy summer days I'll definitely be stocking up on it!

Last edited:

pompsnpincurls

Familiar Face
I've picked Noxema up a few times and looked at it, but some of the ingredients screamed "breakout" at me, lol. But if it worked that well for you, and because it's wallet-friendly I think I will take the leap and see how it works for me! I get super oily in the summer and haven't really thought about how I will feel using Ponds as I only started using it in the fall and have never used it when it's hot out. I will give it a try and keep you updated. Just an FYI, I have extremely oily, break-out prone skin and if Noxema doesn't work for me I should know within about a week or so.

zombi

A-List Customer
I've been using the Japanese oil makeup remover FANCL before my cold cream to remove makeup. I quite like it a lot!

But I have come to the conclusion that Pond's really is my favourite brand. I really wanted to try cataphract's from Etsy but it seems they are no longer selling. I sent a message but got no response. Alas. I was so looking forward to it, too! That's a bummer.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I was "off" Pond's for a while, but I really like it again. The more liquid consistency makes it very easy to use. I just wish it was a little cheaper, since I seem to burn through it so quickly! :lol:

I've picked Noxema up a few times and looked at it, but some of the ingredients screamed "breakout" at me, lol. But if it worked that well for you, and because it's wallet-friendly I think I will take the leap and see how it works for me! I get super oily in the summer and haven't really thought about how I will feel using Ponds as I only started using it in the fall and have never used it when it's hot out. I will give it a try and keep you updated. Just an FYI, I have extremely oily, break-out prone skin and if Noxema doesn't work for me I should know within about a week or so.

I was skeptical about Noxzema as well. I read reviews on MUA religiously and so many people there disliked it, and Paula B (cosmetics cop) hates it. Then again, she/they also denounce cold cream and the entire Boots Original Beauty line - which all work very well for me. I suppose it is just a matter of finding what works for you personally and making your own judgments. My skin loves those products I mentioned, but dislikes many of the products that those sites claim are supposed to be spectacular for one's skin. Maybe I'm just an anomaly!

I will also add that I typically have pretty "good" skin with no real issues, and I rarely have breakouts. My skin tends to be a touch on the dry side. So just something to keep in mind when I'm raving about a particular product. :lol: But the Noxzema is so cheap you aren't really risking much.

Last edited:

countrybumpkin

New in Town
Gosh zombi its funny I did the same, I was also after some cold cream from cataphract due to Lisa freemont raving about it contacted them a week ago and still no reply so to amazon and ponds it is unfortunately but I've heard good things about it so we shall see how it goes! :)

pompsnpincurls

Familiar Face
I will also add that I typically have pretty "good" skin with no real issues, and I rarely have breakouts. My skin tends to be a touch on the dry side. So just something to keep in mind when I'm raving about a particular product. :lol: But the Noxzema is so cheap you aren't really risking much.

Good to know :). I agree about the price of Pond's, I really like using it but it is pretty expensive for how quickly it goes. And you're exactly right, for just a few dollars Noxema is worth the try. Especially if I find it's a good alternative for me! Everytime I go to a new store though I find myself looking for different brands of cold cream, lol, I've become a cold cream junky!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points