Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cold weather hats

eg

New in Town
So, what do you wear in the cold -- say like the -17C we are enjoying today in the Great White North?

This is my solution, courtesy of my father who used to wear one to and from the train station in Pointe Claire QC

Persian20Lamb20made20in20Canada.jpg

It is a Persian Lamb, and I would call the construction a "wedge cap", Canuck for garrison cap. It features ear flaps that can be tucked up inside as per the picture. As far as I know these are made in Winnipeg -- hard to imagine a location better acquainted with wind and cold than "Winterpeg" ;)

vonwotan

Practically Family
Great hat! I have always been a fan of the Persian Lamb "Ambassador" or "Envoy" hats. I have one in grey and just bought one in black. I also have a similar but slimmer version in sheared beaver, and a larger rounder beaver fur hat. Can you tell I'm not built for cold weather?

eg

New in Town
taking stick

Yes, BegintheBeguine, I do take a fair amount of ribbing from my friends for wearing it ("Comrade", "Stalin", "Red Square"), but most of them are either hatless and freezing or wearing a particularly dorky toque :p

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
eg said:
Yes, BegintheBeguine, I do take a fair amount of ribbing from my friends for wearing it ("Comrade", "Stalin", "Red Square"), but most of them are either hatless and freezing or wearing a particularly dorky toque :p
We kids would make fun of anything we didn't understand, and I remember when that Dave Barry article came out it all came back to me in a warm flood of recollection. Do you wear the earflaps down? I wish more men would wear these, they are quite attractive.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Stormy Kromer

Here in the upper midwest, if we want to go 'Lumberjack Casual' we wear the Stormy Kromer.

redcrom2003.jpg

These have been worn by outdoorsmen (and women) for decades. I often wear mine (a black one) for my wintertime animal behavior classes in the field.

Twitch

I believe if I had to spend any serious time out in really cold weather I'd scrounge up a hat like us kids in the 50s had which looked like bomber crewmen caps with a bill and fold down fuzzy ear flaps.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I LOVE the cold weather . We have sold so many fur hats in the last two weeks that I wont have to worry about putting them away in the spring. Here in New York City its been 20 degrees for the past 10 days. Perfect for a nice fur hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

MattJH

One Too Many
besdor said:
I LOVE the cold weather . We have sold so many fur hats in the last two weeks that I wont have to worry about putting them away in the spring. Here in New York City its been 20 degrees for the past 10 days. Perfect for a nice fur hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Here in Philadelphia it's been the same. I honestly never thought I would've had any use at all for the earflaps when I had initially ordered my Tilley Winter Hat, but oh boy, was I wrong. The forehead warmer is another thing altogether, but the earflaps have been fantastic. Not fur, but very warm nonetheless.

kools

Practically Family
I just picked up a Stormy Kroner at an Army & Navy Surplus store for $25...all sizes & colors in stock. I'm really liking it, and we've been quite cold in Milwaukee...highs below zero for much of the week.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Another Stormy user. I have 2, black heather and hi-viz orange.
I alternate these with 2 Jonathan Richards newsboys, blue and green tweed, with the buttons pulled off.
For truly arctic conditions I have a sheepskin lined helmet by Crowncap of Winnipeg. This is actually so warm it makes my head sweat if it's above 0° (something Winnipeggers probably don't need to worry about).
384681202_741cb0bf54.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Filson Wildfowl Hat

I have a friend who swears by his Filson Wildfowl hat.

pFILSON1-2231620dt.jpg

The flaps fold down and cinch up under the chin, covering the back of the head and neck, as well as the ears.

pFILSON1-2231620_filson1_dt.jpg

My studies of eagles and osprey take me out on the lakes shortly after ice-out in the early spring, when it is still bitter cold and damp. I may get one of these for this coming season.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I stick with a fedora angled against the wind, until it gets ridiculously cold and windy. At that point, I abandon an overcoat all togther and break out my parka with its cinched hood.

I like that "Russian Hat" though. I don't think it would look good on me though.

Daisy Buchanan

eg said:
My Grandpa Marty wore one of these "Russian" hats. He was always a hat wearer, and had great style and class. I have a picture of him on his wedding day just as he and his new bride were leaving the ceremony. He looked quite dapper in his persian lamb cap and beautiful peaked lapel overcoat. His bride (my Omi) always the fashion plate was bundled in a 3/4 length seal coat (which I am in possession of but rarely wear), great sunglasses and a gorgeous ladies felt fedora at a rakish tilt.

It seems that a lot of people today don't realize that they can look good bundled up. As you Loungers know, this is not the truth.

Personally I don't own enough winter hats. I have a belted swing coat from the 40's with a big fur collar that I turn up to keep warm. Usually on my head I wear a beautiful silk brocade shawl that I got in Venice. It works well, for it keeps both my neck and head warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR