Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

outdoor wedding 150 people only 2 hats.

John J

Familiar Face
Good morning gents,I hope all is well.

I guess us hat wearers are in the Big minority!!, I see lots of Guys in hats on sunny days walking around vacation areas such as Saratoga NY, Lake George, and out on the Cape mostly inexpensive straw hats and some tilleys

. But when the weather turns cooler felt hats here in upstate NY are very rare.

I attended a very nice wedding on Sunday evening , The ceremony was outside On a lake , the Reception was indoors. out of 150 or so People there was only 2 men in hats.

Myself I wore a steel gray Builtmore Royal (florence) The other gent was a friend of the groom who spoke at the wedding , He was Muslim and wore a traditional skull cap in the color of the bridal party (bright green and gold).

Geez I was also the only Guy wearing a pocket square as well. Many men didn't even wear a tie!!

Where has the suave gone??? oh well!

at least no one wore a baseball cap!

as a group the women were much nicer dressed than the guys (not surprising)

Opening Day at the Saratoga horse Race track its funny many women are dressed to the nines : heels ,very posh dresses and big fancy hats , walking next to them their boyfriend- husband ... are in in jeans or shorts with boat shoes or sneakers with an un tucked shirt.

have a great day

"John"

Last edited:

John J

Familiar Face
Good morning gents,I hope all is well.

I guess us hat wearers are in the Big minority, I see lots of Guys in hats on sunny days walking around vacation areas Saratoga NY, Lake George, and out on the Cape. usualy inexpensive woven hats and a fair amount of tilleys.

but for more formal occasions or when the weather gets colder Felt hats are rare.

I attended a very Nice wedding on sunday evening , The ceremony was outdoors On a lake , The Reception was indoors. out of 150 or so People there was only 2 men in hats.

Myself I wore a steel gray Builtmore Royal (Florence) the only other hat was a friend of the groom who spoke at the wedding who was Muslim he wore a traditional skull cap in the color of the bridal party (bright green and gold).

I was also the only Gent wearing a pocket square as well, many guys did not have ties on either. I have to say the women as a group were dressed better than the guys.

What happened to suave!! i'm glad no one wore a ball cap!!!!

Gotta love it.

have a great day

"John"

Last edited:

smokepiper

New in Town
I was at a wedding in Charleston, SC on Sunday. One of two in seersucker and the only hat wearer. Received a bunch of compliments. Even one from the wife.

D

froguy

New in Town
I had a similar experience this past weekend at an outdoor wedding outside of Montreal. Somewhat smaller, maybe a hundred people and only two hats, both straw. I wore my new semi colado Montecristi with a custom bow done up by Tom Gomez, A very nice, somewhat intoxicated young woman approached me just before the sit down meal asking me, in French, which I don't speak, to "borrow:" my chapeau. At first I said "no" (good in both languages) but she looked so hurt and offended, saying something else to me about the bride which I didn't understand and I gave in. She had no idea, of course, what she was "borrowing" and had good fun mugging for the others at her table flopping it on and off various heads. I kept a discreetly eagle eye on her as she whipped in on and off. She eventually got up and disappeared for 10 minutes, at which point my tolerance was exceeded, so I tracked her down and with my most charming smile, grabbed the hat back. I'm sure she thought it was a toy.
Sad though that even at a moderately dressy affair there were so few chapeau.

I had a similar experience this past weekend at an outdoor wedding outside of Montreal. Somewhat smaller, maybe a hundred people and only two hats, both straw. I wore my new semi colado Montecristi with a custom bow done up by Tom Gomez, A very nice, somewhat intoxicated young woman approached me just before the sit down meal asking me, in French, which I don't speak, to "borrow:" my chapeau. At first I said "no" (good in both languages) but she looked so hurt and offended, saying something else to me about the bride which I didn't understand and I gave in. She had no idea, of course, what she was "borrowing" and had good fun mugging for the others at her table flopping it on and off various heads. I kept a discreetly eagle eye on her as she whipped in on and off. She eventually got up and disappeared for 10 minutes, at which point my tolerance was exceeded, so I tracked her down and with my most charming smile, grabbed the hat back. I'm sure she thought it was a toy.
Sad though that even at a moderately dressy affair there were so few chapeau.

This isn't the first time it has been commented upon here that some people seem to think a "proper" hat is a novelty (rather than a "regular" item of attire) and for that reason it's somehow okay to treat it as a sort of toy.

Would this woman think it acceptable to "borrow" a man's tie? Or his jacket?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Why do you think there are only two hats factories left in the USA making dress hats....Yes , hat wearers who purchase better hats are certainly in the minority.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey John, keep the faith man!!! I've got a Biltmore, Akubra, 2 Stetsons and just received my first bespoke from Cane Rod Maker today. Trust me the tide will turn. I'll be sportin' hats all fall and winter in the Capital where I work so between us perhaps we can hold up our end! Keep em flyin!

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As for this "hat as a toy" business, sometimes it's GOOD to be so large and menacing, nobody ever asks me to borrow ANYTHING, not even panhandlers. Must be the shoulders and the perpetual scowl!

IMG_1032_zpscfcbe52f.jpg

Worf

barrowjh

One Too Many
Awesome, Worf! A fedora with nothing less than 2 5/8 brim, maybe 2 3/4 to go with those shoulders. Tan to medium brown color, ribbon about 1 1/2 inch. Love the jacket, now add shadow on your upper face under a 2 5/8 brim, what a statement that would make.

froguy

New in Town
As for this "hat as a toy" business, sometimes it's GOOD to be so large and menacing, nobody ever asks me to borrow ANYTHING, not even panhandlers. Must be the shoulders and the perpetual scowl!

IMG_1032_zpscfcbe52f.jpg

Worf

Next time I'll invite YOU to accompany me. I got a pretty good scowl but not the size. Don't suppose you speak French either? That big, menacing look works well in any language!!

John J

Familiar Face
Great Photo

Ill be getting bespoke soon One right now from ART for sure??? ?? , I didnt Know cane rod maker was one of our members , I just saw the post below (Im a newbie)

your a Big Gent Like I am though you look taller.

your in Troy NY, I'm in Schenectady. The frozen Yogurt shop in monument square downtown Troy is a relative .

I always keep the faith, we just have to shed some style on the masses. But its cool to be different.

have a great day !!!

"John"

Last edited:

froguy

New in Town

IMG_1032_zpscfcbe52f.jpg

Worf

Next time I'll invite YOU to accompany me. I got a pretty good scowl but not the size. Don't suppose you speak French either? That big, menacing look works well in any language!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner