Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogart Does a Cameo

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
Hi all Gregory Wilde here..I got a real nice "Bogart" hat made by Port Coquitlam BC Canadian Hatter..."Wolfbrae" aka Robert Gault late in 2022.

I love all the old gangster movies...especial the Bogart gangster movies in the forties.

I wonder how many of you hat lovers were aware that "Bogie: did a cameo...(I wasn't.) .I really enjoyed watching this clip and. .found it ( entirely by accident on YouTube while surfing fedora Bogart hats today).

I thought many of you hat guys...might enjoy it too ..As most all of you know...Bogart had a personal collection of Italian maker Borsalino hats...

There is much debate since the hatter Borsalino bankruptcy in 2017 and subsequent new ownership of the company (Haeres Equita the Swiss company is now officially the new owner of Borsalino,) whether the hats made today are of the same quality as the vintage...

If you see their ads for the many versions of "Bogart" hats they have...the Borsalino hats are still very attractive but personally if I can get the old vintage quality (like I got from Robert Gault at Wolfbrae in BC) and get it handmade i I will go that route every time...There is nothing quite like a handmade gentlemen's hat in beaver or rabbit. Both will stand the test of time...

The handmade custom hat I got made by "Wolfbrae" my BC Canada hatter... was as close as one can get to the movie hat that Bogie wore not only in "Casablanca" as Rick the saloon owner and patriot but in many movies such as the Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon.

I was very delighted with Wolfbrae Hatters attention to detail...Robert made the "Bogart" hat of my dreams....we collaborated..I was very specific about the 2 inch vintage grosgrain ....and the sharply creased front as well as generous brim size (2 1/2 and perfect crown. height ..I believe it was 4 3/4 inches).. I like teardrop crowns. Bogie's was shaped into a diamond.. as most of you know.

Cheers ..Enjoy "Bogie" in the forties cameo...and here is a pic of me in my "Bogart" fedora hand made by Robert Gault at Wolfbrae in Port Coquitlam BC..Canada.

Cheers...Happy hat hunting....Or if you are tired of hunting...just get Robert to make you a nice Beaver or rabbit hat...Then you will have the hat that you always wanted.

Attachments

• G WILDE.png
    G WILDE.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 181

O Fiura

New in Town
Hi all Gregory Wilde here..I got a real nice "Bogart" hat made by Port Coquitlam BC Canadian Hatter..."Wolfbrae" aka Robert Gault late in 2022.

I love all the old gangster movies...especial the Bogart gangster movies in the forties.

I wonder how many of you hat lovers were aware that "Bogie: did a cameo...(I wasn't.) .I really enjoyed watching this clip and. .found it ( entirely by accident on YouTube while surfing fedora Bogart hats today).

I thought many of you hat guys...might enjoy it too ..As most all of you know...Bogart had a personal collection of Italian maker Borsalino hats...

There is much debate since the hatter Borsalino bankruptcy in 2017 and subsequent new ownership of the company (Haeres Equita the Swiss company is now officially the new owner of Borsalino,) whether the hats made today are of the same quality as the vintage...

If you see their ads for the many versions of "Bogart" hats they have...the Borsalino hats are still very attractive but personally if I can get the old vintage quality (like I got from Robert Gault at Wolfbrae in BC) and get it handmade i I will go that route every time...There is nothing quite like a handmade gentlemen's hat in beaver or rabbit. Both will stand the test of time...

The handmade custom hat I got made by "Wolfbrae" my BC Canada hatter... was as close as one can get to the movie hat that Bogie wore not only in "Casablanca" as Rick the saloon owner and patriot but in many movies such as the Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon.

I was very delighted with Wolfbrae Hatters attention to detail...Robert made the "Bogart" hat of my dreams....we collaborated..I was very specific about the 2 inch vintage grosgrain ....and the sharply creased front as well as generous brim size (2 1/2 and perfect crown. height ..I believe it was 4 3/4 inches).. I like teardrop crowns. Bogie's was shaped into a diamond.. as most of you know.

Cheers ..Enjoy "Bogie" in the forties cameo...and here is a pic of me in my "Bogart" fedora hand made by Robert Gault at Wolfbrae in Port Coquitlam BC..Canada.

Cheers...Happy hat hunting....Or if you are tired of hunting...just get Robert to make you a nice Beaver or rabbit hat...Then you will have the hat that you always wanted.

That's a great hat, Gregory. It suits you very well. Thanks for the photo and description. I came across your post when looking for pictures of Bogie's fedoras after re-watching 'Casablanca' last night.

Coincidently, I've recently discovered Robert Gault's work and had been starting to think I need a Wolfbrae hat. Your great hat is only helping confirm what a good idea that is!

Thanks also for the Bogie YouTube link - lots of fun!

Michael

Last edited:
That's a great hat, Gregory. It suits you very well. Thanks for the photo and description. I came across your post when looking for pictures of Bogie's fedoras after re-watching 'Casablanca' last night)

Coincidently, I've recently discovered Robert Gault's work and had been starting to think I need a Wolfbrae hat. Your great hat is only helping confirm what a good idea that is!

Thanks also for the Bogie YouTube link - lots of fun!

Michael

You won’t regret getting a Wolfbrae. I recommend that you spring for the 100% beaver if possible as the difference is huge.

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
You won’t regret getting a Wolfbrae. I recommend that you spring for the 100% beaver if possible as the difference is huge.
As most know I have a rabbit Bogart and a Beaver tall boy Wolfbrae..love both...Nothing wrong with the quality on the rabbit Brent ...Yes the Beaver is the superior hat..but there is a real nice quality to the ultra suede rabbit that Robert at Wolfbrae doe..just sayin'... lmao...

Hey anyone out there...I just got some very good press on my art...I am a Toronto fine art photographer who has just made his debut into the art world...(I have been taking photos in my worldwide business travels for years...I have a website that is almost finished and will be ready to go "live" next week... .. thegregorywilde.com.... but for now check out the press...My publicist and I are trying to get my work into Paris France...the Dear Claude is a tribute to Monet.. link to the USA Art News article..
https://usaartnews.com/news/toronto...sters-of-impressionism-and-post-impressionism

Cheers...I love Wolfbrae Hats...Everyone that has one loves them...Robert takes his time and really gives you the hat of your dreams...No wonder the students can make hats after sessions with Robert...He's da man in Canada to go for a custom beaver or rabbit..Cheers..Gregory Wilde

As most know I have a rabbit Bogart and a Beaver tall boy Wolfbrae..love both...Nothing wrong with the quality on the rabbit Brent ...Yes the Beaver is the superior hat..but there is a real nice quality to the ultra suede rabbit that Robert at Wolfbrae doe..just sayin'... lmao...

I have a few of the Ukraine rabbit fur felt hats from Wolfbrae and the felt is decent. The 95g FEPSA beaver is, in my opinion, an order of magnitude nicer. The rabbit is very much like the felt on most modern factory fedoras, but the build quality is much higher with Wolfbrae. The FEPSA beaver is much more vintage-like and shapable and re-shapable. For the relatively small increase in price I’d go for the beaver every time. The Ukraine beaver is more of an unknown for me. My first Ukrainian pure beaver dress weight hat body is in my hat room waiting for me to decide its fate. Comparing the unfinished hat bodies, the FEPSA is much softer and more vintage-like than the Ukrainian beaver. If we want to come closest to duplicating the look and properties of Bogart’s hat we would be much better served by starting with the FEPSA beaver: that’s all I was saying.

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
I have a few of the Ukraine rabbit fur felt hats from Wolfbrae and the felt is decent. The 95g FEPSA beaver is, in my opinion, an order of magnitude nicer. The rabbit is very much like the felt on most modern factory fedoras, but the build quality is much higher with Wolfbrae. The FEPSA beaver is much more vintage-like and shapable and re-shapable. For the relatively small increase in price I’d go for the beaver every time. The Ukraine beaver is more of an unknown for me. My first Ukrainian pure beaver dress weight hat body is in my hat room waiting for me to decide its fate. Comparing the unfinished hat bodies, the FEPSA is much softer and more vintage-like than the Ukrainian beaver. If we want to come closest to duplicating the look and properties of Bogart’s hat we would be much better served by starting with the FEPSA beaver: that’s all I was saying.
Yes Brent...I absolutely get what you are saying....guess I love my Bogart rabbit so much it clouded my response...Of course the FEPSA beaver is more malleable ...I find the rabbit a much softer hat to wear ...My beaver is amazing...I get comments cause some think it is too tall..however we here all know that the thirties hats were tall..Indiana Jones is a thirties hat...I just don't like how it flops about...My beaver by Robert is very thick felt and very nice to wear..keeps its shape no problem..The rabbit does to but there is a big difference I agree Brent...Whatever hat is made by Robert whether Beaver or Rabbit....you can depend on a absolutely professional job as those of us who have his hats know full well...He takes the extra time with each client and the communication and collaboration result in a bullseye every time...That has been my experience with both the Rabbit and the Beaver....Cheers all...Great weather here in the Toronto area today..blue skies and sunshine! 25 degees C...got the summer panama type hat on today!

Attachments

• GREGORY WILDE small.jpg
    GREGORY WILDE small.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 98

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21