Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College wardrobe

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I preffer 20's and 30's collegiate, though here are a smattering of styles for men in 1949

1949%20Ag%20Club.jpg

Zach R.

Practically Family
I just bought a pair of these PF Flyers in red, and will soon buy me a pair in blue once they get my size in:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/4871018/c/39661.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/9911484/c/39643.html

These shoes are great for the collegiate look IMO, and are much more comfortable than Chucks, and I'm also pretty sure that there aren't as many people wearing these to have run them into the ground.

BTW, does anyone know a good source for argyle socks? Thats one thing that I can't seem to find a modern source for to finish my collegiate look.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Lookin sharp

The first 3 suits on the bottom row from the left look great. The real standout is the guy in the DB pinstripe. What a sharp looking guy. Love the 3 piece on the first guy on the bottom left too.

Love the style, love the hair! The guys with the curly hair knew how to style their hair well!

Cheers

Peter

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Yes noticed the jumpers....

particularly like the griffin sweater too. I'd say a couple of guys in the photo had their wife, girlfriend, mum or grandmother knit them up a nice sweater!

"Here darling I made this for you! I thought you could wear it to the class photo on Monday"

"Gee honey/mum that's really swell, but maybe I should wear a sharp pinstripe suit and tie?"

"No you'll look much better in my sweater"

Little did they know that in 2006 we would still be talking about their sweaters!

LOL

Peter

Wild Root

Gone Home
Interesting thought, and fun to think about.

The sweaters that are pictured are store bought. I've seen many of that type of work sold in Sears and Ward's catalogs of the period. They also made some very fine short sleeve knit shirts with all sorts of woven patterns and images on them such as deep sea divers fighting with octopuses to fire breathing dragons or a simple palm tree island image. These knit shirts will fetch a sum of $200+ if you can find them.

=WR=

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Ok ...

Well I'll change it to

"Honey I bought you a nice sweater.."

Not really my thing, love the jacquard sweaters etc. Would believe the value of them though. I don't know if you have seen "Bridget Jones Diary" (one of my wife's favourite movies) but they kind of remind me of the Reindeer Jumper that Darcy wears.

The photo is great though, would be useful to post in the how to wear a vintage suit section. The detail is excellent and you can see how men really dressed in those days. The shoes look like they would wear well. The light socks with the dark suit and shoes.. not sure I like that too much. But overall the photo is fantastic.

The guy the pinstripe DB is the standout for me though. Like his style and would love to emulate it.

CHeers

Peter

Wild Root

Gone Home
I love that photo because it shows simple every day guys and how they wore their clothes. I feel that if one wants to go all the way and look 100% it means completely stepping out of one's comfort zone and try something new. In the end, it looks period correct and the individual will end up liking the way it looks. The lighter colored patterned socks in the photo I think are cool because they're not the norm. Young men in those days liked to dress flashy to look exciting and spontaneous. I'm sure if we were to see the true colors of the outfits, it would all make better sense.

I like the pinstriped young man too, I think he was one who had some money.;)

=WR=

Jay

Practically Family
In that "College-1949" picture, is the guy 2nd from right on the bottom wearing a rain coat over a leather jacket? It's kind of an odd style, unless it's really cold out...

Wild Root

Gone Home
You might be right... I just looked at it again and saw it looks a lot like a leather coat under a raincoat... my guess is that the young man didn't want his leather to get wet so, he wore his raincoat over it when he'd go out side... not so much a style statement but, a measure to keep his keen leather coat from getting wet.

=WR=

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well the funny thing about all these posts is that retro is making a huge comeback. When it becomes popular is it really "retro" or shouldnt we take a cue from football and call these clothes "throwbacks"? hehe

Sweet pictures by the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass