Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color comparison help..

ProfCharles

New in Town
not sure if this goes here. But A quick question to anyone who owns an akubra moonstone and a VS blue Smoke colored hat. How do the two colors compare? Could you provide a sided by side comparison.

Thanks

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Moonstone is way darker than Blue Smoke. Blue Smoke is a very LIGHT blue/grey & Moonstone is a medium grey...

+1. Blue smoke pic in partial sun below. This pic shows some of the pastel tones coming thru. The jacket I am wearing has a cool blue, grey, black and and warmer browns. The variety of clors should help you see the tones of the felt. Bluesmoke darkens up when worn with a navy blazer and even darker in the shade. I find it versatile.

IMG_5740-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

ProfCharles

New in Town
Except granite has a brownish undertone, unsuitable for certain outfits and complexions. In some pictures here, the lighting on the moonstone almost make it look as light as the blue Smoke :-\

ProfCharles

New in Town
Granite works better with earthtones. It's not a neutral grey and doesn't have blue. I can see brown undertones, and a winter like myself who wears lots of sharp blue, it's a no no

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Except granite has a brownish undertone, unsuitable for certain outfits and complexions. In some pictures here, the lighting on the moonstone almost make it look as light as the blue Smoke :-\

Granite is indeed a medium grey with brownish undertones.
As you know, one cannot compare pictures from different settings directly. The blue Smoke is definitely several shades lighter than Moonstone.

I'm pretty sure steel is a dark grey with blue undertones

Thanks all, basically Art doesn't have a medium grey felt. :-\

You're right on both counts. I'd say that Blue Smoke and Steel are just about the same distance away from medium grey (like greycard grey) on either side, and both are a bit on the cool side of the spectrum. One noticably darker, the other noticably lighter than medium grey.

This is what Art's Blue Smoke looks like under bright overcast lighting conditions.

The hatband is black.

The hatband on this one is charcoal:

Same hat worn with light grey flannel, pink end-on-end:

Blue Smoke in comparison with granite (right) and Dove (left):

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Granite w/ silver ribbon, Blue Smoke w/ charcoal, Dove w/ charcoal, Silverbelly w/ dark grey and greenish undertones

VS_gran-bs-dov-sb_post.jpg

Sometimes unusual combinations can actually work. Here's a Granite VS against a medium grey chalkstripe flannel, my only grey suit that, surprisingly enough, works successfully with this hat.

Last edited:

ProfCharles

New in Town
Thanks for the photos and feedback rabbit. Felt colors are so hard to get a grasp of when all you have are computer photos. The Blue Smoke is a nice color, but I'm a bit surprised that Art doesn't offer a medium neutral gray.
I've also noticed that the ribbon color is just as important as the felt color, since it lends or takes away from the felt color.
This will only make my conversation with Art regarding my custom all the more difficult. :/

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure steel is a dark grey with blue undertones

Arhhhhm ... yes ... and? Every grey that is not pure grey is a grey with certain undertones. Steel is a medium grey - and it's undertones are blueish. Pure/neutral grey is almost never happening in hats :)

Names of hat colors are most often just names - picked out of the blue (pun not intended). Very often colors are named by hatters who have no formal training in colors or their names at all. One of my very good friends is a painter - who was originally a trained pharmacist (they know quite a lot about metal oxides and colors/color-name-origins). She very often laughs loudly of our hat-color-names. If a name sells, it's the right name for a hat color ... it's actually that complicated ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925