Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colours for brunettes!! ;-)

Folly

One of the Regulars
My hair colour can look a little lost sometimes, so I used Lush's natural henna. I thought it would fade away naturally, but I have root regrowth now :eek: lol

As far as brunette colours go, I tend to suit fiery tones, so often wear burgundy, red, damsons, pinks and oranges. But what with my henna'd curls now, I tend to keep those colurs away from my hair for fear of clashing lol

GOK

One Too Many
Folly said:
My hair colour can look a little lost sometimes, so I used Lush's natural henna. I thought it would fade away naturally, but I have root regrowth now :eek: lol

Aaahh I wondered if you used Caca Rouge! Henna doesn't work on my hair at all - even when I've left it on for 13 hours! In fact, most colourants have no effect whatsoever, which is a shame because I'd like to get rid of my wispy grey bits! I've now given up trying to colour my hair! :(

Folly

One of the Regulars
GOK said:
Aaahh I wondered if you used Caca Rouge! Henna doesn't work on my hair at all - even when I've left it on for 13 hours! In fact, most colourants have no effect whatsoever, which is a shame because I'd like to get rid of my wispy grey bits! I've now given up trying to colour my hair! :(

Caca Rouge it was!
My hair does have some auburn naturally but at times it just seems so lacklustre that henna seemed the way to go to brighten it up. The Lush henna was a safe bet as it had no nasty chemicals that might ruin my natural curls. I had it applied by my husband during a sweltering July day last year. I was sat in the garden while rather warm henna was slapped on my hair (I whined the entire time lol ) and I then spent the next eight hours with my hair wrapped in cling film (oh my word, it was so heavy on my hair it was simply ridiculous). The rinsing out made our bathroom look like a scene from Psycho but the results were just wonderful.

fleur

One of the Regulars
I used henna on my hair once. Never EVER EVER again. It absolutely wrecked my hair and made is as coarse as straw! I had to wait for it to grow out which took forever!

Im like you GOK pale and interesting with very dark hair (thats a celtic background for you) and have the colour evened out with a Matrix hair colour in Ash Black which isnt permanent.

My hair dresser nearly had a fit when I said Ash as she thought it would be far too dark for me but then I told her to check out the ole eyebrows! (which reminds me of a stand up argument with a Dior make up lady that I didnt need the darkest eyebrow pencil she had and when she did the one she thought and I did the one I wanted to buy she changed her mind!)

As for colours on me its either black, pink or green. :)

GOK

One Too Many
fleur said:
(which reminds me of a stand up argument with a Dior make up lady that I didnt need the darkest eyebrow pencil she had and when she did the one she thought and I did the one I wanted to buy she changed her mind!)

Wouldn't it be nice if those makeup people actually knew what they were talking about? lol

As for colours on me its either black, pink or green. :)

Black, scarlet and deep green for me! :p

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Dark hair, blue eyes and pale skin. It appears I can get away with any colour I like. Though I've never felt yellow looks quite right. And anyway, given a choice I usually pick black lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Even though I'm not a brunette (I have dyed black hair, very pale skin and hazel/greenish eyes), yellow is my #1 color! I usually try to go with bright colors to brighten up my face, since pale skin and black hair can occasionally look harsh.

Maybe someday I'll go brunette. I love rich chocolate shades of brown, but I've grown so attatched to my black hair.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Nope, it still looks weird, apparently!

Maybe you are going too dark? Eyebrows, for dark hair, are supposed to be one or two shades lighter than the hair color. A lot of women try to match it exactly (I've had one too many hairdressers try to talk me into dying my brows black), and that's where they get wrong. My eyebrows are naturally one shade lighter than my (dyed) hair color, and people tell me that's often why they think my hair is naturally black.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
GOK said:
Due to having a red-headed mother and an Italian father, I am really pale, with naturally blackish auburn hair! Perhaps if you were to colour your eyebrows too (with a dark eyeshadow, applied with a brush), it might look more natural?
I just knew we had the same kind of features! Good thing I got some advice!:D I have a lot of red heads in the family genes, and greeks. Most of my life, I absolutely hated my looks! they just weren't real popular so I'd do the fake blond thing....just recently, due to the toll it takes on hair, I decided to go natural, I don't know if you experience the same kind of comments, but, I find a lot of people remark of how dramatic and unusual, in a good way, it is.
What I use for my eyebrows is a product called L.A. colors (you can find this just about anywhere), I've mentioned this stuff before in another thread, it's one of my favorite products for the face....I use the shade 'brunette'.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
Maybe you are going too dark? Eyebrows, for dark hair, are supposed to be one or two shades lighter than the hair color. A lot of women try to match it exactly (I've had one too many hairdressers try to talk me into dying my brows black), and that's where they get wrong. My eyebrows are naturally one shade lighter than my (dyed) hair color, and people tell me that's often why they think my hair is naturally black.
A few people can get away with having very black eyebrows, but this is when it's a natural occurance...mother nature does know what she's doing! Other times, it can come across as very fake. I have seen however some blondes that had darkish eyebrows and looked absolutely stunning...but it takes a certain individual to be able to pull it off.

Folly

One of the Regulars
GOK said:
Not that I have ever experienced such a thing but having warm caca on one's hair reminds me of having a cow pat on the ol' bonce! :mad:

I think the worst part was it being so hot outside and then the henna leaked out and streaked down my forehead in green lines lol

GOK

One Too Many
Folly said:
I think the worst part was it being so hot outside and then the henna leaked out and streaked down my forehead in green lines lol

Nice! When K did mine, he managed to slop a few bits on the kitchen floor - the resultant green splotches were a devil to remove. Lino is obviously more apt to being dyed than my hair!

Henna doesn't stay on my skin either :( I have an indian chum who is a mendhi artist and she said she has never met anyone other than me whose skin is resistant to it!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
Maybe you are going too dark? Eyebrows, for dark hair, are supposed to be one or two shades lighter than the hair color.

This is just the thing - I am only going a shade or two darker than my natural hair colour, but even with eyebrow pencil, it still looks 'wrong' according to anyone who sees it! Besides, I want it to look right even without make-up, as I don't always wear it.

Everyone keeps telling me to go blonder - but I don't wanna be blonde - I wanna be brunette!

Dying it is a hassle anyway. I am lazy and can't be bothered to do it all the time and I have terrible seborrheic dermatitis. Oh well, I'll just stick to being mousey!

GOK

One Too Many
The important thing is not what others think or say but how you feel, Sis.

I've had people tell me I'm too pale to carry off this hair colour, despite it being 100% natural! Some people just feel a need to comment, in my experience, without actually giving much thought to what they are saying!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Finding a shade of red lipstick has been mission impossible for me, but, I have discovered a red shade that I absolutely LOVE!!!!!!! I found it at Sally Beauty Supply; the brand is called palladio and the shade is geranium.

Adelle Rose

New in Town
You can't see it on my picture, but I am very pale with rosy cheeks and dark brown hair; I mean, almost black.. Think Snow White yeah? ;)

Personally, I find that ruby red suits me the best, but I like wearing ivory and emerald green.
I have this henna conditioner that I got from Superdrug that adds a reddish tint to my hair, but I prefer it a cooler tone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner