Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coming out of the woodwork...

fifi

Familiar Face
Hello, all. I've lurked around here off and on for quite awhile, but I decided to take a deep breath and jump into the mix. My name's Whitney, though my dad has always called me fifi (hence the user name). I'm in L.A. and I've been buying vintage since I was 14. My style is mainly late '40s to mid-'50s, though I branch out a bit as whimsy strikes. I'm a total sucker for Springolators, vintage rhinestones, midcentury furniture, hot rods, etc. If Miss Tayva reads this, I remember you from the eBay Yahoo group and some others, where I lurked more than contributed. So, ummm, hi!

fifi

Familiar Face
Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to keep in touch with this board. There are few things I like more than makeup, shoes, and vintage everything! I see from your profile that you're a writer...may I ask what kind? You're also in Arizona...I spent 3 years in Tucson for grad school. Love the place!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it's nice to be able to discuss vintage fashion, hair and makeup with other fellow retrophiles!

I've lived in Arizona for 18 years--currently I live in Mesa, but I hope to move to Chandler within the next couple of months.

I actually attended ASU (that makes us rivals, you know ;) ) and received a degree in journalism. I currently work for the University of Phoenix as an editor in the College of Health and Human Services. I love my job--it's interesting and my fellow coworkers are a complete blast! I also freelance and specialize in magazine articles about vintage fashion, weddings, etc.

What did you study? And what sort of work do you do in publishing?

I’d like to travel to California, and soon. There’s not a whole lot of culture, vintage or otherwise, in my neck of the woods!

fifi

Familiar Face
Well, I studied art history as an undergrad at UCLA, and I got my Masters in American Indian Studies at the UofA. I'm now the managing editor of Hot Rod magazine, which is basically the air-traffic controller of the magazine, making sure the edit is written, the ads are sold, and I map out the magazine and be sure it goes to press on time. Let me know if you come to LA; I'd be happy to go to my favorite vintage haunts! In fact, I drive past ReMix Vintage Shoes every day and have to use sheer willpower to keep from going in! I'm known throughout my office building as "that '50s girl"...

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I would love to go to Remix--that's the stuff that vintage dreams are made of! I may be headed out to California in September or so, and I’d love to make the vintage rounds with one who's in the know. Thanks for the offer!

Neat job! Let me know if your mag is ever looking for freelance writers ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi! Glad you spoke up!!
I would love to go to the big vintage stores too.. sniff... St. Louis is getting better tho!

Ohairas

fifi

Familiar Face
Thanks for the warm welcome, ladies! If anyone is in or visits the LA area, just let me know. I'm always game for shopping! :)

BixChix26

New in Town
another newbie

Hi there, I'm new here as well. Looks like a cool site, altho I'm more interested in Edwardian to '20s fashion. I love classic film, vintage clothing, traditional jazz. Check out my site at www.lauratoops.com.

BTW, are any of you California natives attending the Gatsby event in Huntington? That's something I've always wanted to do!

Laura

MissTayva

Hello there, lurker!
Ahhhh, the eBay group... it used to be a lot of fun, but then turned into nothing but pure drama. I unsubscribed, so I'm not even sure if it's around anymore! Haha...

Do you go out to any of the rockabilly shows in L.A.?
I'm sure you've probably heard of the Rockabilly Showdown over Labor Day weekend. My husband is in the house band, so I'll be out there that weekend.
Perhaps I'll run into you?

Welcome to the ''room!

fifi

Familiar Face
I used to get out a lot more than I have lately. The hubby and I bought a house and settled down a bit, I suppose. We'll go to shows around town--mainly the bigger-name acts--as well as the Hootenanny, VLV, etc. Writing this makes me realize I do need to get out more often! We often hang out at the Bigfoot Lodge on Los Feliz...it's close to home, brings out the hot rod crowd, and has a good selection of bourbon! ;)

MissTayva

Well, the Rockabilly Showdown is over Labor Day weekend (Fri., Sat., Sun).
Saturday is rubbish-- it's all psychobilly. Friday is a lot of the neo-Rockabilly acts (a lot of British ones)... Sunday is the more traditional stuff... You really should swing on over, there's going to be a lot of vendors & stuff. It's at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood. I'm very excited about it! It would be great to run into you there! :)

Yes, the Bigfoot Lodge is great. So charming!

Oh, and I'm glad you found me on My Space :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Hey Welcome, fifi. It's good to have new members hanging out in the Powder Room. I will be headed out to LA November 11-13 for the Indygear Queen Mary Summit but would love to do a day of vintage shopping if I can work it in on Nov. 11. I know Trickeration and I had talked about shopping then. What part of LA are you in? I'll be staying over in Longbeach.

fifi

Familiar Face
Thanks for the welcome, ITG! I live in Glendale and work in the Miracle Mile area. I'd be up for shopping, but looking at my work calendar I see that I have a deadline on that day. Keep me posted, though, because things may change. Long Beach has some good shopping, and I haven't been there in a while. That's good inspiration to make time for some fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy