Coming this fall: ABC's "Pan Am" -- "Mad Men" in the skies?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by skyvue, Aug 9, 2011.

1. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

No way! :D He certainly looks the part. Can you tell us who he is?

2. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Nobody does it better. You should see his UN pics.

3. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Better Pan-Am than Mad Men.

4. I've done two episodes now, and it's difficult not to scream, 'You're getting it wrong!' First of all, EVERYONE is too tall, both the men and women, but that's what you get these days what with steroids in Pablum. Though, I see that's changing as the casting notices are asking for actors under 6' 1". Second, these kids don't even know how to hold a cigarette or drink a cocktail. None of them seems to even know how to stand erect. A third annoyance is the twenty-two-year-old costume guy trying to tell me how much cuff showed in the 60s and how they tied their neckties. Sheesh.

Still, aside from the boredom of sitting around the set all day, it's fun to do, and to see a lot of gals in 60s clothes all at once is an added bonus. Even though they do complain about the 'weird clothes'.

Ciao,

Jack

5. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

That isn't fair, I mean that the girls complain about the clothing. I would be begging to take them home with me if I were an extra. As for the costume guy, I'm sure they threw an old magazine at him for "prep" before the show, and that's how he became the expert. :rolleyes:

Good for you, I think that's fantastic!

6. MrBern

MrBern I'll Lock Up

7. Mr. Rover

Mr. Rover One Too Many

Congratulations!!! Going to try to watch the pilot this week! You look slick, as always.

8. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

Congratulations on landing an appearance on the show, Senator Jack.

I guess I'll watch the episode at some point. Is this show interesting, despite the inaccuracies?

9. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

You have to realize these girls probably know no more about clothing than the garbage they buy at The Gap.

Senator Jack is the only guy there who looks like he isn't wearing a costume.

10. You look great Senator :D

11. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Good grief, this thing is awful. The men are all far too young and where the hell did they find them? The School of Squint and Dimples? Worst CGI (helicopter bit) ever. All has the feel of a lot of kids doing what they think is right for the period and pulling it out of their butts. Mad Men has a feel of realism. An imperfection here and there. Believable characters. Pan Am is like a bad Chinese knockoff.

(no bearing at all on the good Senator Jack's involvement - I wish they'd brought you in to save it)

12. So I guess you don't like it? :p

13. Connery

Connery One Too Many

I could not get passed the actors. It appears as if children were pretending to be pilots and got hold of their parents' uniforms. The concept is interesting and Senator Jack's work is appreciated.:)

14. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Looking good Jack! If I had known you were in it, I might have watched it...

15. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

I'm having a difficult time getting past all of those things, too, like the actors doing what they think was right - It interferes with everything pretty badly. I hate how prissy the girls are.

When I watched the pilot (ha, ha) I thought it was alright for a first attempt, and said I've give it another chance. I gave it another chance last night... And it's not getting any better. I'll give it another try next week, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed. My mum has been watching it too, and her opinion was that it could be interesting if it was done right. I think so too, it's too bad.

16. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

I was also disappointed in the second episode, but intend to keep watching.

What I think is weird is that the characterizations and storytelling on the show are just as much out of the early sixties as the look. As opposed to Mad Men - where characters are defined/limited by the timeframe, but stand out as VERY well-defined, believable people - Pan Am's characters are simplistic, outdated stereotypes, as if the show itself was written/made in 1963.

Speaking of Mad Men knockoffs, I see that The Playboy Club has been canceled and removed from the schedule after airing just two episodes... the first casualty of the new season. Yeah, it was really THAT bad! (I only made it three minutes into the pilot before turning it off in disgust.)

17. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

18. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

I'm reading all this bad stuff about the show, and it's made me a bit curious to see it :p

ETA: I've just watched the pilot and a bit of the second episode. I find it difficult to believe girls in the 60s addressed each other with "hey." I also thought the dancing was remarkably similar to what you'd see in a modern club...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  19. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Ok, all this talk and the involvement of Senator Jack made me wander to the ABC site and take a look. Much like peaking through one's finger's during the gory part of the horror movie... I guess because I do not watch much TV today but it just seemed really, really bad to me: bad acting, bad dialogue, bad music score, and everything seems "fake" like whatever is playing on those Blue Ray High Definition demo TVs at Costco... do not think I can make it through a whole episode... Mad Men might not be perfect, in particular after season 2, but egads this was awful...

But those girls are cute in their outfits...[huh]

20. Sometimes they are either trying too hard or not trying hard enough at being natural for the era.