Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I must say, whilst I have the utmost empathy and *hugs* for everyone who's ever been stared at, laughed at, looked up and down, sniggered at, insulted or had any other despicable public rudeness about their vintage looks, it does make me feel somewhat less disheartened and depressed to know that it doesn't just happen to me. :D

I don't get that many outright compliments, but I think my favourite one ever was last Christmas. We were leaving a pub and a man leaned over to my brother and asked him something. When we got home my brother told me what he had said:

'who is that *beautiful* woman in the Forties-style outfit?'

I could have CRIED :eeek::eek::D And no, he wasn't drunk or a dirty old man! :D

Last week I had a nice little confidence boost. I had gone out wearing my headscarf turban-style, which normally gets a few funny looks, plus I was with my boyfriend and he HATES my hair in a turban. We were in a shop and the saleslady started telling me how much she liked it - she was genuine, I don't think she was scouting for a sale - and said very sweetly, 'I hate to say it but it reminds me of, you know, the war', like I would be offended :D ended up having a great chat about seamed stockings with her (I was wearing my seamed tights that day!)

Last edited:

Juliet

A-List Customer
What some of my friends have told me is that I come off as super intimidating; I'm fairly reserved and quiet around people I don't know, and when that's combined with my expensive/fancy looking clothes (really, all antique store/flea market bargains!) people just assume I'm "above them" and sort of snobbish, although I'm really nothing of the kind. I wonder if that's what's going on a lot when people seem rude?

Even if you were snobbish, or they thought you were, it hardly excuses people from staring at you like they paid some big money for it.

Frenchy56
Positive reinforcement is always great!

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
Last week I had a nice little confidence boost. I had gone out wearing my headscarf turban-style, which normally gets a few funny looks, plus I was with my boyfriend and he HATES my hair in a turban. We were in a shop and the saleslady started telling me how much she liked it - she was genuine, I don't think she was scouting for a sale - and said very sweetly, 'I hate to say it but it reminds me of, you know, the war', like I would be offended :D ended up having a great chat about seamed stockings with her (I was wearing my seamed tights that day!)

I love when people comment on my hair when I'm out with my boyfriend because he prefers it straight! It's so nice when other people appreciate the effort, even if our men don't always get it :)

Annichen

Familiar Face
I get the usual compliments,nice hair,dress,makeup etc.
I do not get much of the "where are you going,what's up with the costume?" comments, probably due to me not being much of a people person and as my friends put it: "you do not exactly look approachable"..I don't smile much and don't look much at others.
Old men tend to stare a bit but what gets me everytime is the fact that people tend to get a bit nervous and start stuttering, I guess someone in vintage look a bit more in control than the average person and it gives you an air of authority ?

Alex

Practically Family
I cannot walk into my workplace (local grocery store) without comments and employees trying on my fedora. I get a little on edge by the way they basically toss around my vintage lids. But I'm generally easy going and I don't wanna act like I'm super attached to my hats. They also have to say stuff like, "Hey you need to roll a pack of cigarettes on your shirt sleeve since you're a greaser haha." I'm just like nahh that's too much.

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
Not just me. Phew. Why do they keep staring???

Maybe they think I'm a ghost. Maybe I should just look at them and go "whhooooohhh."

I finally had the out-and-out staring thing happen the other day. This mother with her young daughter just both stood their and gawped at me. I would not have minded if they had come over and asked me a question but they just stood and stared for a long time. So rude. And my outfit was so moderately vintage too. If I'd been wearing a hat and gloves and seamed stockings I think they would have both just keeled over.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Last Saturday I was in my favourite pub in Dublin - The Long Hall - I was wearing the outfit I posted in the "Show us your best" thread - three American tourists turned to me and said "We were all just admiring your lovely dress and coat" and then they gave us their seats as they were leaving - that was a lovely end to the evening!

The Long Hall was where my Gran (who I'm named after) used to hang out - have to keep up tradition!:

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attractio...views-The_Long_Hall-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
It's official, my style is elderly lady approved! The two older women who work at my college library's coffee shop told me they always love my "retro look", and asked where I shopped. They seemed really excited to hear most of my things are actual vintage from antique stores and the like.

Also, there are two other older ladies (in their 60s, I'd reckon) who audit my art history class; one of them approached me before class on Friday to tell me that they always look forward to seeing my outfits. I was really touched; compliments from women who saw my clothes when they were in style the first time around are such an honor to me. (<< most girls my age would probably be horrified if most of their compliments came from the geriatric set, wouldn't they? lol)

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
True, most girls would. Most girls also wouldn't eye up old ladies hair jealously, like I do! I'm well known for lusting after "glamour nannas"! If I spot old ladies with cool hair I always want to befriend them and go back to theirs to rifle through their photos ;)

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Hehe ‘ Glamour Nannas’ I love it! I guess I’m the same… I remember when I was walking behind an elderly lady wearing ff stockings, I was so tempted to ask her where she got them from but they looked like proper old ones! Oh, to get a chance to rummage through their closets, photos and knitting patterns! (in a nice non creepy way!!!) I’m sure they have secret hair setting knowledge too- what I would do to have their secrets….

I’m usually more flattered to get compliments from the ladies who have worn it first time round too; to be honest I’m flattered to get any nice comments at all, but to get them coming from the golden era gals or people with the same interests as mine just makes me feel like I must be doing something right! I suppose it's because we all appreciate things that others don’t- does that make sense? :eek:
…off I tot to look at pictures of my very own ‘glamour nannas’. T x

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Well exactly, the old ladies know what they're talking about and they know all the Hollywood icons who we admire, whereas the youngsters today (hark at the old woman) don't really know what it is that we're trying to do, they don't get the references (hence all the comments about Katy Perry or whoever the latest 'retro' looking people are in the public eye), although as you say any compliment is lovely. As I tend to wear mostly repro and retro with the little bit of genuine vintage I can afford, if my outfit makes old ladies comment then I'm pleased I've managed to recreate something that looks authentic from largely modern clothes.
P.S. Miss Tuppence, I've just clicked on your blog and it looks lovely, will be reading more later :)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I cannot walk into my workplace (local grocery store) without comments and employees trying on my fedora. I get a little on edge by the way they basically toss around my vintage lids. But I'm generally easy going and I don't wanna act like I'm super attached to my hats. They also have to say stuff like, "Hey you need to roll a pack of cigarettes on your shirt sleeve since you're a greaser haha." I'm just like nahh that's too much.

Dude! Nobody wears my hat but me (unless I give permission)! The idea of putting another man's hat on my head is horrific. Why would anybody want to do that? yuk

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Mike- My partner would agree with you.You have to be a very close and honoured freind to try on his Hombergs.

Question for the ladies: Do you ever stop older ladies and compliment them on thier style? I try to when I get the courage and when it seems appropriate (I also compliment dashing older gentlemen too, in an appropraite way of course) Whenever I've done this they have always been so happy. I get the impression that they think nobody notices them anymore and I feel like I've made their day. (Just like they make ours-by being so stylish and and inspiring)

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
Mike- My partner would agree with you.You have to be a very close and honoured freind to try on his Hombergs.

Question for the ladies: Do you ever stop older ladies and compliment them on thier style? I try to when I get the courage and when it seems appropriate (I also compliment dashing older gentlemen too, in an appropraite way of course) Whenever I've done this they have always been so happy. I get the impression that they think nobody notices them anymore and I feel like I've made their day. (Just like they make ours-by being so stylish and and inspiring)

I have wanted to do this so many times but I'm too chicken. I always worried that the older ladies who still dress like knockouts are also of the sassy variety... I'm scared they'd be put off! But who doesn't like a compliment, right?

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
I have wanted to do this so many times but I'm too chicken. I always worried that the older ladies who still dress like knockouts are also of the sassy variety... I'm scared they'd be put off! But who doesn't like a compliment, right?
A lot of the time when I compliment someone they just give me a funny look... kinda puts me off saying anything. If I'm drunk I just go ahead and compliment everyone, especially in the ladies room, it's like a big love-in in there. I sometimes worry too that people don't look very approachable, but you're right, surely they would like to hear that they look good, and you never know, they might be lovely. Maybe everyone is just queuing up to give me compliments but I look unapproachable... probably not, but you never know! ;)

rue

Yesterday when I went for a walk it was cold and drizzling so I threw on my cloche. I happened to run into this sweet elderly woman (about 80 I think) that always stops to chat and she said she loved my hat and that it really suited me.
I was so thrilled I smiled all the way home :D

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Rue - There is nothing so nice as a well meant compliment is there?

Today the very young man, who was cutting my hair, complimented my dress, bag and scarf, over the course of the session. He even got the era right (50's), which was rather reassuring, it really made my day!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
"Glamour Nannas"... haha, that's the perfect term!! It reminds me of the fabulous Iris Apfel:
Iris-Apfel.jpg

Seriously, older ladies tend to have the best style. They generally have seen it all at that point and dress to please themselves, and have so much fun.

Miss Sofia, what a sweet compliment. Today some random boy told me he liked my "old school 50s style"; I was surprised and happy he got the decade right! Though I do find some people say they like my '50s or even '60s look even if I'm dressed '30s or '40s; I think they see red lipstick and a dress and their minds leap straight to Grease or Mad Men lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy