Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by ITG, Jul 14, 2006.

1. RodeoRose

RodeoRose A-List Customer

Augh, I get those sorts of comments all the time from girls my age, it's a bit annoying. Especially when you start to explain pincurls and the concept of setting your hair at night, and you see their eyes start to glaze over lol.

Oh, and I love the sailor comment, how sweet!

2. Miss Moonlight

Miss Moonlight A-List Customer

It's been a while since I looked right out of another era, but at that time, someone told me I reminded him of a time when you could trust your government. lol (No comment... but don't SO many come to mind?)

3. BettyMaraschino

BettyMaraschino Familiar Face

I think I got a kind of compliment from a girl at work the other day. She said she thought I was 30 something. (I'm 23) To try and save herself she went on to say its because I always look so smart, I dress nice and always do my hair and makeup.
    It's sad that a girl 5years my junior thinks that you must be older than 30 to be presentable and not care what others think of how I dress.
    It's also a good job I'm a nice assistant manager who doesnt take offence to being called ten years older than I am. :D

4. LittleMissToniJo

LittleMissToniJo One of the Regulars

It is really nice to go back through this thread and read the comments :)

I get pretty down sometimes! I know what I love and what I think is elegant and beautiful... but I don't think I ever set out to be a caricature or to stand out quite so much. I'm almost always embarrassed when I get comments, flattering or not.

But can you imagine if more girls were into dressing this way? The prices on eBay would get ridiculous!

5. Tatum

Tatum Practically Family

I was told (very kindly, like it was a compliment) that I looked like a '40s airline stewardess yesterday. This was by a server in a restaurant that I know quite well. His boss (a close friend) laughed like a hyena when i told him, and said no, I just looked like "lovely little" me, and maybe the server is just used to me looking a bit more dressed up. I wish I had a photo from yesterday....

6. Gracie Lee

Gracie Lee A-List Customer

^ She looked great! I'm still jealous of the grey dress she was wearing ;)

7. Tatum

Tatum Practically Family

Aw! Thanks Gracie. :) Pics?? You have them all! I think you'd look better in it than me, I would be happy to let you borrow it!

I got a really awful look today, it was the first time I have ever had a negative reaction when dressed vintage. It was by a salesgirl in the Ann Taylor outlet. She looked me up and down with disgust. Hubby and I were out shopping for shoes (we both needed sandals) and I was wearing a cream sleeveless sweater and a red and white polka dot skirt along with HUGE v-rolls. I wanted to crawl under a rock. Hubby said to heck with it, and to consider where we were... The girl behind the counter at Bass, however, gushed and quizzed me on how I did my hair! That helped a lot. So did the three pairs of shoes Hubby bought me... ;)

8. MarieAnne

MarieAnne Practically Family

Tatum - How old was the Ann Taylor salesgirl?

9. Rocketblast

Rocketblast One of the Regulars

Aww, that's so mean, I hate it when that happens, it takes me ages to get over that sort of thing. Good job you got some positive reinforcement nice and quickly! Some people are just plain rude. Tell me, was she an absolute picture of stylishness? She should stick her stinky attitude where the sun don't shine :p

10. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

How unnecessary. I hope you didn't spend any money with her!

11. ^ I hope you didn't either.
    I'll never understand why anyone that works in retail would treat customers like that. They are there to sell, not judge. She had no idea who you were or how much money you had and I know for a fact that they get a commission, so that was really stupid on her part. Don't worry about it Tatum. It's only a matter of time before she gets canned :)

12. Miss Golightly

Miss Golightly Call Me a Cab

Tatum - I bet you looked fabulous!

I don't understand why people would react negatively to seeing someone dressed in vintage - personally I would love to see it - it would be so refreshing to see someone looking glamourous and looking like they care about their appearance - it would make a really nice change!

13. LittleMissToniJo

LittleMissToniJo One of the Regulars

Rue that's exactly what I wanted to say. It reminds me of that scene in Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts goes shopping! What an idiot!

14. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

Precisely!

I went out for dinner last night and the lovely waiter complimented my pronunciation of the Spanish dishes. Did we give him a large tip? Oh yes we did! Would we if he had sneered (which frankly he could have because my Spanish pronunciation is awful)? No.

It's not that hard to be nice, so why wouldn't you?

15. Tatum

Tatum Practically Family

MarieAnne, I don't think any older than mid-forties.

No, not really. She was pretty casually dressed.

Puzzicato & Rue, no, I didn't get anything in Ann Taylor. Usually I find SOMETHING in there I can't live without. But then, that might have been colored by her look. She was just inside the door, so that was the reception I got. Funny how all the kids who were working in other stores were doing their usual spiel, regardless of what they thought of me.

Thanks, MissGolightly. :) I don't get it either. The only time someone gets a reaction from me is for rude behavior!

ToniJo, I remember that! And lord knows I have spent a LOT of money in Ann Taylor over the years...

Now, that's a great server! :)

16. Lily Powers

Lily Powers Practically Family

It really irks me that someone - as a representative of a relatively well-known retailer no less - thinks another woman is beneath her because she marches to a different style drummer. How hard would it have been for her to simply smile and welcome you into the store? Instead, she botched a possible sale, is being talked about in this forum, and quite likely may be on the receiving end of a nasty-gram to the corporate office describing their sales associate's behaviour. Even though she hurt your feelings a bit, I'm glad her sneers and jeers didn't squash you! :)

17. Marla

Marla A-List Customer

Possibly the best compliment I've ever received came today from a sweet older lady:

"You look like you could have gone to high school with me in the 1940s."

18. 40'sfetish

40'sfetish Familiar Face

I was at work the other day (I work in a public hospital as a Personal Assistant) hair set, nice skirt and blouse and got 3 winks from various octagenarians that day lol. Not so much comments but a nice to get a reaction. Cheeky beggars lol

19. MissLaurieMarie

MissLaurieMarie One of the Regulars

I was told I looked like a pin-up the other day :D Not only that, but a co-worker later told me that the lady who said it rarely gives compliments, so I must have made quite an impact.

20. Tatum

Tatum Practically Family

I'm so glad that after my not so great moment, you ladies got such sweet comments! :)