Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Tatum

Practically Family
Kate O Potato, what a great response!

I was at the airport last week wearing a repro 50s polka dot skirt, saddle shoes and a cardigan and the clerk at the ticket counter asked if I was coming from a play. Confused, I said "No, from Chico!" and he looked bewildered. As I was walking to the TSA checkpoint, I realised that the clerk thought I was a stage performer and I thought he was just being pleasant and asking where I had been visiting. LOL!

That's cute! Gracie Lee and I have gotten similar responses when we are out together. Maybe theatre costume is easier for people to swallow!

I got into an odd conversation last week that I just remembered.... Helping the hubby with his cigar business, I was asked by someone in marketing if the vintage look was part of the "cigar girl schtick" (her words). She had a tough time with me saying "No, this is me most of the time, I usually try to tone it down for work." She kept on, telling me that I must be doing it subconsciously.... I finally said, "Listen, the only reason that would be appropriate is if I was also dressed like a cigarette girl, which I am obviously not, and we don't deal with cigarettes, just cigars. Just because my definition of well-dressed doesn't involve a mini-skirt and looks like a business tactic to you doesn't mean it is." She didn't seem to get it :)

rue

That's cute! Gracie Lee and I have gotten similar responses when we are out together. Maybe theatre costume is easier for people to swallow!

I got into an odd conversation last week that I just remembered.... Helping the hubby with his cigar business, I was asked by someone in marketing if the vintage look was part of the "cigar girl schtick" (her words). She had a tough time with me saying "No, this is me most of the time, I usually try to tone it down for work." She kept on, telling me that I must be doing it subconsciously.... I finally said, "Listen, the only reason that would be appropriate is if I was also dressed like a cigarette girl, which I am obviously not, and we don't deal with cigarettes, just cigars. Just because my definition of well-dressed doesn't involve a mini-skirt and looks like a business tactic to you doesn't mean it is." She didn't seem to get it :)

Remind me to ask you how to deal with idiots next time I have an issue. That response was GREAT :D

Tatum

Practically Family
Remind me to ask you how to deal with idiots next time I have an issue. That response was GREAT :D

Thanks Rue! I got a little impatient...she just wouldn't let it go. But I couldn't just tell her off, as I was "on the clock". Sometimes I can find a teensy bit of poise ;)

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
There are two older ladies working at my local Oxfam shop and last time they told me they loved my dress. Today I'm wearing a blue gingham circle skirt with a crinoline and a blue and white 50's style skirt and they told me they loved my outfit. One of the ladies said that it was very unusual, because nobody dresses up like this anymore. It made my day, especially since they were around the first time.

Tatum, that story with the Ann Taylor girl is appaling, maybe you coyld consider complaining to the store manager by writing a letter? When I was in retail behaviour like that wasn't even an option.

Tatum

Practically Family
^ That's great, Drappa!

I'm not even going to bother. I look at it this way: we were in Orlando, at a huge outlet mall. She probably sees unusually dressed people rather frequently, so I'm certain it will catch up to her.

The whole experience has, however, got me thinking. For that evening, I considered putting all my very obviously vintage clothes in the back of my closet for a while. Then I came to my senses and realized that I am who I am, if other people can't handle it then that's their issue.

It is making me more conscious of how I look at someone that I find different for whatever reason. (I stare out of curiosity most of the time.) I'm going to make sure that a big smile follows the stare if I'm caught!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's really nasty, and I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I'll never understand what motivates people to say nasty things *out loud* in public. He probably lacks a spine to leave the house in anything but the latest style. Most of the "conformist" people who do this type of thing (that I know) are very nasty people that make fun of (and abuse) anyone who is different, and it doesn't stop at dress, color of one's skin, or ability level. It still hurts though. I'd like to believe that karma is going to come back to him.

If that's you in your avatar you are stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
yesterday, i was nipping to the post box on my own, and while i was walking back up my road, a man walked past me in the opposite direction. I warnt even looking at him but as we got level with eachother he muttered 'my god!' as if he was disgusted by the sight of me. I was so surprised i went home and cried my eyes ouu. X x

That's really terrible. I hate how one little negative comment said in passing can ruin one's entire day! And of course, you always look so pretty and put-together, so I'm sure this fellow was none too charming and his opinion means very little!

K.McG

New in Town
You my dear are lovely! Do not let anyone let you think otherwise!

I had a similar experience last summer whilst I was in Utah, I was walking home from working a 9 hour day and then an hour long belly-dance class(I was still wearing shorts and t-shirt from the class) and some horrid soccer players yelled something out of their car at me, all I caught was the word 'ugly' and seeing as I was the only person around I could only assume it was directed to me. Needless to say I was a bit shaken and broke down as soon as I got home. Even now it still makes me upset.

Whatever gives people the idea that yelling things at passing strangers is completely okay,I will never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
deleteduser, I've seen your hair do photos and I'm sure everyone here will agree that you are gorgeous. Whoever that man was is either blind or crazy :p
I've had one bad compliment ruin my day and still bug me for as long as a week! Ridiculous the amount of time we spend on one bad compliment opposed to all the good ones, but we are only human. Try not to think about it because in the end you'll never see him again anyways.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I was in Whitstable yesterday with the lad and we bumped into a lovely couple in 1940s dress. After exchanging pleasantries, we were asked "Do you take the Chap magazine?"

Such an oddly specific but accurate observation!

How beautifully phrased too!

I was wearing a 60s dress yesterday out and about, running errands. A man came up to me, pointed and said 'I want to be YOU.' Very, very odd....
X
BD

I do hope you run into him again - that could get fascinating!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:(
Two weeks ago, on a typical Friday night I was wearing my beret. As I was leaving the bar, some boys were standing in front. One of them saluted me. Military style. Like I was a Commando or something. And they all thought it was hilarious! No, it wasn't.
It was immature.
And rude.
And with no sense of fashion!! Grrr!! Boys, it's a BERET.. not a military mark. It's not like I put a tattoo on my forehead.
Sometimes it stresses me how little tolerance people have. I get to tolerate their underage drunk faces smiling hysterically, and they do not remember to RESPECT.

It just wasn't one of the good day, I guess.

D

Deleted member 12480

thanks for your kind comments everyone. I won't let it ruin my dress sense, i was just so taken aback! I was so proud of my outfit, too.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Aww, I know how you feel Stray Cat! Hats always seem to rouse such a reaction, I don't get it. I don't wear my vintage hats as much as I'd like 'cause without fail, strangers always seem to feel the need to stare, comment, or even-- the worst-- touch my hats.

I was wearing a 60s dress yesterday out and about, running errands. A man came up to me, pointed and said 'I want to be YOU.' Very, very odd....
X
BD

That's really funny! That might take the cake for strangest compliment yet! lol

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aww, I know how you feel Stray Cat! Hats always seem to rouse such a reaction, I don't get it. I don't wear my vintage hats as much as I'd like 'cause without fail, strangers always seem to feel the need to stare, comment, or even-- the worst-- touch my hats.

Ah, YES!
And even they dare to take it off. And they want to "try" it on their heads.
HANDS OFF!!
I don't wear it as show off ("Come, see.. touch and try it on"), it's a part of my attire. But most people (male and female) around me, believes my hats and berets are a joke, and they want to be a part of it too. Well, if they want a hat, they should pay the price, and get one for themselves!

Did any of you got the "Let me just wear it around for a while?"
(Hats, scarves, gloves.. one time eyeglasses also!)
Like we're kids, and they're asking for a bike 'round a block. lol

SheBear74

Practically Family
^ That's great, Drappa!

I'm not even going to bother. I look at it this way: we were in Orlando, at a huge outlet mall. She probably sees unusually dressed people rather frequently, so I'm certain it will catch up to her.

The whole experience has, however, got me thinking. For that evening, I considered putting all my very obviously vintage clothes in the back of my closet for a while. Then I came to my senses and realized that I am who I am, if other people can't handle it then that's their issue.

It is making me more conscious of how I look at someone that I find different for whatever reason. (I stare out of curiosity most of the time.) I'm going to make sure that a big smile follows the stare if I'm caught!

Glad you stuck with your style! :D

I have gotten a couple comments lately. A waiter asked me if I was a hair stylist, and my new neighbor asked if I was some sort of producer or director(???). I always say the same thing, nope I am a housewife. ;) Oh my favorite comment was when I had to head over to the high school (I volunteer a lot because my son is in the marching band) one of the flag/dance girls said "I love her hair!" as I walked by. I do get stares but to be honest I forget that I look "different" so I just smile at them.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I'm always shocked a little bit by rude behavior in society. It's unnerving that such beautiful women suffer nasty comments like these, but it's another example of how we must not base our sense of self-worth on the opinions of others, and certainly not strangers (especially from the 21st century when we were dressed very early 20th!). Anyone who dresses outside societal norms is risking scorn and ridicule, but they are also risking self expression. We dress for ourselves, not them. If they don't like it, so be it. I do understand the hurt though. Someone who lashes out at us for being who we are is surely hurting inside too, just in a different way.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I went dancing (swing) last night, and I wore a red cotton 50s dress with matching lippie, my hair curled and up in a pony, and saddle shoes with folded down socks. As I was rotating partners, I danced with several older gentlemen. One complimented me on my dress, then my shoes, and then added, "And your lipstick is so perfect!" I'm sure I was blushing like crazy. A few partners later, another gentleman said that he remembered when girls used to dress like that all the time, and that I looked lovely. The instructor assumed I had been dancing for years because of my shoes (?! - he quickly learned otherwise :p) and a couple other people thought I was joking when I said it was my first time dancing in a decade. The people were all wonderful, and I had a fantastic night!

Tatum

Practically Family
Gracie, where did you go?? You must take me.... ;)

I'm sure you looked adorable! Was it the red dress I love that you wore a few weeks ago in Orlando?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto