Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

djd

Practically Family
I was told by our big boss yesterday that I looked 'very 1930s'. I was wearing a very non vintage 3 piece suit. The only vintage like thing I was wearing was a Casablanca replica tie from Magnoli. I guess I must just look 1930s regardless of my clothes! :)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Last night I went our dancing with a friend and had a number of people (both guys and girls) tell me how much they like my dress. Not uncommon as I tend to socialize with the hipster thriftstore set, so vintage dresses and bowler hats aren't anything new to them.

But that night I've had something happen that is a new one for me.
Twice, I had guys tug on my belt or the back of my dress to get my attention as I walked by. I was sort of speechless and pretty pissed. When it happened a third time, I went a little nuts on the guy. I whirled around and said "No! This dress is 60 years old- it's almost a senior citizen! Do you go around yanking on your grandma like that?" I'm sure he had no idea what my problem was but sheesh!
Whatever happened to tapping someone on the shoulder if you want their attention?
Why on earth would anything think it's appropriate to pull on a gals clothing?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whatever happened to tapping someone on the shoulder if you want their attention?
Why on earth would anything think it's appropriate to pull on a gals clothing?

That's really rude, and bordering on assault. It's a lot different to pull on a person of the opposite sexes' clothing than on the same sex. (It's rude to pull on anyone's clothing, regardless.) I'd be horrified at first ("who does that kind of thing" horrified) and then spitting fire if it kept happening. The "keep your hands to yourself" is a very important lesson.

Having had strangers touch me and grab things (mainly my hair) I can tell you I don't like it. I'd be really upset if someone grabbed my clothing. I think you reacted the best you could.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Has that sort of thing ever happened to any of you ladies?

I know a lot of the men get people grabbing at their hats and like Sheeplady, everyone wants to touch my hair for some reason...(maybe they think it's a wig) but never had someone grab my actual clothing. Just bizarre.

Isis

One of the Regulars
I should be surprised over how rude people behave when they grab at people's clothes, but I have had my breasts grabbed by a stranger in a restaurant at lunch time. I was so shocked that I just left- I wish I had been able to tell him off. I do wonder what people like that justify themselves with- I can't think of any explanation good enough.

Drappa

One Too Many
I should be surprised over how rude people behave when they grab at people's clothes, but I have had my breasts grabbed by a stranger in a restaurant at lunch time. I was so shocked that I just left- I wish I had been able to tell him off. I do wonder what people like that justify themselves with- I can't think of any explanation good enough.
Wow. I am not a violent person, but that stranger would have been slapped so hard they would have forgotten their own name.

Isis

One of the Regulars
Yes, I should have slapped him and I got mad at myself later for not reacting, but when it happened I couldn't really grasp that he actually had done what he had. :(

Puzzicato

One Too Many

A friend of our family is a nun - she got groped within sight of the Vatican while wearing a full habit. People are just nasty.

But on a nicer note, on Saturday I was on the Tube and there was a very pretty girl in a 40s style tea-dress and nice red pumps. When she got off the two old ladies sitting next to me were FULL of praise for her but ripped her boyfriend to shreds "He could have made an effort, she looked so pretty. He could have been going to the shops". :lol:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
But on a nicer note, on Saturday I was on the Tube and there was a very pretty girl in a 40s style tea-dress and nice red pumps. When she got off the two old ladies sitting next to me were FULL of praise for her but ripped her boyfriend to shreds "He could have made an effort, she looked so pretty. He could have been going to the shops". :lol:

Love this!!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Tatum hasn't mentioned this yet - she must be busy :) I spent the weekend with Tatum and her lovely DH, and had a wonderful time. We went shopping on Saturday, and by coincidence we both wore skirts and blouses. I was wearing a vintage wrap skirt with a strawberry print, and she was wearing a handmade A line with a lobster print. We got several pleasant comments, but the one that cracked us up was "Oh, don't you two look nice... like dinner (he points to Tatum's skirt) and dessert (he points to mine)."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran