Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

HannahJane

Familiar Face
I get a lot of nice comments and interest on my outfits and hair but it doesn't take much to knock all of the self confidence out of me on those days you aren't feeling quite your best!

My mum and (particularly) my brother both think that the all out vintage look is "too much" sometimes and prefer for me to tone it down with a mix of modern. I think they both feel uncomfortable with the looks I get when we are out, whereas I generally just ignore people's stares or scare them a little bit by staring back and smiling at them!

On the positive comments side I was told by a nice Frenchman that he always looks forward to seeing me because my look is so lovely, well put together and always just suits me right.

HannahJane

Familiar Face
Thank you, Miss Sofia! I’m always trying to explain to my family that it doesn’t matter if a few random people might giggle at the way I dress. I like the clothes I wear and they make me feel far more comfortable than the majority of ‘fashionable’ outfits would. And when it all gets to me a bit I always log on here to remind me that I’m not alone and to get inspiration and the confidence to be unashamedly fabulous like everyone else on here!
Also, it is widely known that the French are inherently stylish so I must be doing something right! :cool:

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
I so get you though, it takes one remark, sometimes where you're not sure if people are being snidey or not and everything else,all the good stuff, just melts away Dammit!

See, I grew up in Europe in a small town where compliments, honor, courage, and respect are still valued. When I moved back to the USA for University I had a lot of readjusting, and one of the biggest was: every time I tried to compliment a woman they thought I was either flirting or being sarcastic... either way I'd wind up with a snide reply at best, at worst I actually got slapped once... :p People seem to have lost the knack for both giving and receiving compliments...

as HannahJ said, it's nice to be able to log in and participate with a more "cultured" society...

And for the record, ladies, you all look fabulous! :cool:

Faith Rudd

New in Town
I do get odd looks every now and then, usually from young women, but I also get some really nice comments from people who genuinely surprise me such as a young woman dressed in sportswear with a Croydon facelift who told me she really liked my hair. I've never had any negative comments which, tbh, is good. I think I'd cry if anyone said anything mean to me.

rene_writer

Familiar Face
I was in uniform at work, so no vintage clothes, but vintage earrings, a 60's big hair do, red lipstick and mascara. A male co-worker asked, "What's up with the red lips?"

I said, "I like it."

He replied, "You look like you're going to steal my heart, chew it up, and spit it out. Probably end up with all of my money too."

So... compliment, I guess. Lol.

Nelda Cardenas

New in Town
I get nice compliments and funny looks from some people when I wear my 50s vintage. I guess the people who only look without saying anything are afraid of me. LOL Most of them are wearing t-shirts, jogging pants and flip flops.....I think they are the people who look funny.

Croydon facelift Thank goodness for Google. Now I know...

Chavs: The Jersey Shore UK style
Wotcha fink bout me bling, mate?

The_Chav_Party-900627.jpeg

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Today I was at an assignment where two women - one a school teacher, the other a yoga instructor - were doing courses in schools as a part of phys ed. It was their last day and as a trust exercise, the Grade 4 students did an angel walk where students would shut their eyes and walk down a row, where their classmates stood in two lines and whisper specific compliments in their ears. It was very moving to see these young girls saying sweet things to one another as I was taking photos.

At the end, several girls came up to me and commented on how they like my look, my hair, my make-up, etc. It was so sweet, I was stunned! I wanted to return the compliments but I was so shell-shocked I didn't know what to say. One girl even said I looked like the drawings on old tins, which I took as a huge compliment of course :D Even the yoga instructors said how much they liked my look.

I think EVERYONE could learn a lot from this exercise....

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have never hear of an 'angel walk' before, but what a lovely idea. It's so much easier to be negative than positive, even (or especially) about oneself, we filter out the nice things and only really notice the nasty.
I agree - everyone could learn a lot from this.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
We had an announcement on company e-mail this week. Several days are to have different themes. Ugly Christmas sweater/vest days... And TWO hat days. This caused a flurry of comments within my department about "we know who'll be all over the hat days". I believe the powers that be are anticipating reindeer antlers, and tree hats.

I feel an excuse for going as vintage as I can manage kind of days.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I feel an excuse for going as vintage as I can manage kind of days.

Do it! I slowly and carefully eased into vintage for work after I started, and now I push it to the limit every day. I always get friendly or teasing comments (such as one of the lawyers pushing himself into the wall in the hallway as I walked by, saying "wide skirt coming through!" lol)

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Nothing would surprise them. I'm considered the fashion plate of my department- which considering we're all walking-talking cliches of librarians, (catalogers at that. even in libraryland we're considered the geekiest, most anal obsessive's in our field) isn't saying much! But there are some practical constraints on what I wear. I spend a good deal of time slinging around 20 lb. + totes. And I work in a warehouse. Skirts and heels are no-go. Sweaters, hats, great hair and makeup + jeans = quite the look.

Faith Rudd

New in Town
Hah, that reminded me of something that happened to me in church. One week I wasn't feeling so well so I wasn't all glammed up and a woman who I'd only met once before but who had complimented me on how I look came over and sort of semi-seriously said to me 'What happened to the red lipstick? I was expecting red lipstick!'. It was rather surreal. I really don't know how much she was joking.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
^^ lol On the rare occasions I forego lipstick, people always ask me if I'm ill.

All my life, when people have stared at me I've done my best to ignore them or meekly looked down at the ground. Well, I don't know what's come over me (maybe just growin' up) but lately I've had the nerve to stare right back, and it's really very empowering! Not aggressively, mind you, just curiously; "a cat may look at a king" etc. etc. This morning, for instance, some stereotypical jocks at the library were blatantly laughing at me, so I gave them a sort of pained look and they clammed up ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy