Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Woland

One of the Regulars
For the last 20 years Ive been hanging out, on & off, with Teddyboys & Gals.
Was in fact one of the great victories in the days of yore that punx and teds could & would hang out together without aggro.
(British tabloids would tell otherwise, but f*** em...).

Took my best gal to a quick visit down the "Razorbacks" the other weekend.
She ( a more than well-to-do female bizwoman) hung out in relaxed conversation, with Doris, Marilyn and 20 other gals her junior/senior..

Strange really. my country is "liberal", yet so extremely conformist.

The Teddygals at Razorback checked us out for style.
Casually uttered admiration for our meager attempt on 40s style.
Enough research to witness a more than normal dedication, I guess.

It feels kinda weird.
I have always been a collector of T-shirts.
With provocative motifs...
Nowadays I frown if I am out of fresh shirts, (this aint a juppy thing), and find myself surfing the net for vintage head & footwear.
T-shirts tends to find their way to the garbage...

I CANT FIND SHIRTS WITH EXTENDED WINGS FOR UNDER 200 USD!
HELP!!!

In my daily commercially "artistic" circle, people stagger by the mere sight of my less than more representation of the 40s.
The most regular comment is the "smirk".
I believe it must feel safe---

Getting a weird reaction from the feminas though...
Guys: you ever taken advantage of "bewildered" women?

Ada Veen

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: Hadley, gorgeous avatar! If that goes in 'ladies of the lounge' there's going to be some happy guys around!! :D

Clara, that sounds really interesting - what is your university? I'm not sure if I should move this conversation to a more suitable thread, though I'm not sure which one - maybe the 'age, sex, location?' or a 'study' thread if there is one.

shooshoobaby1

New in Town
I didn't dress vintage until moving away from home. I recently went back to Illinois to visit my family and I went to church completely vintage. Usually I wear rolls in my hair, but this time I just did pin curls much like an early Jane Russell look. I come from a very small town where most people dress the same and if you are different, you are suspicious. I was a little nervous, but I have never received so many compliments in my life. Many of the older men were astonished. :) How can you not love vintage? It is just so classy.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Walking around downtown Dallas yesterday there were lots of second looks but no comments.

It would be nice to see this particular downtown revitalized since there is come beautiful architecture and a nice area for walking. The original Neiman Marcus is still there as well as plenty of eateries. A new Jos. A. Banks opened across from NM this year and there are a lot of new loft conversions. Hopefully more retail will follow.

Camille

Familiar Face
I once had a hard-looking hip-hop chick come up to me while I was waiting for the bus. She gave me a good stare, eyed me up and I swear, I thougt she was gonna strike me down. Then she just did a thumbs up, nodded and said: "Hey, braud, I like your style. Old, but nice. Keep it up, yo."

Made me go :O but get on the bus with a smile, no less.

anabolina

A-List Customer
carter said:
Walking around downtown Dallas yesterday there were lots of second looks but no comments.

It would be nice to see this particular downtown revitalized since there is come beautiful architecture and a nice area for walking. The original Neiman Marcus is still there as well as plenty of eateries. A new Jos. A. Banks opened across from NM this year and there are a lot of new loft conversions. Hopefully more retail will follow.

It's still so weird for me to hear of people voluntarily living downtown :shakes head: Crazy peeps... But my cousin works in construction Downtown so I suppose its a great thing for all those rich folks to thrown money at it so to keep people in jobs.

I'll admit, most of my vintage is vintage in style and rather newly sewn (I'm known at work for sewing stuff the night before to wear that day, but I use vintage patterns.) It's nice, when I did my hair and makeup in a fifties style with a dress with a circle skirt I got comments that I looked nice, so I suppose that'sa good thing 'cause I think they meant it.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I will never forget being in a nice double breasted sit, tie, hat etc. and some maybe twenty two year old latino vato comes up to me and says "my respect to you, homes."

Course, Latinos in California are no strangers to the vintage style.

Antje

One Too Many
I din't dress vintage today, but went to work with a vintage
hairdo with victory rolls.

And I got al compliments on my style.
even an older lady said that she had a picture of her mom
with my hairdo

great comment to me

antje

carter

I'll Lock Up
anabolina said:
It's still so weird for me to hear of people voluntarily living downtown :shakes head: Crazy peeps... But my cousin works in construction Downtown so I suppose its a great thing for all those rich folks to thrown money at it so to keep people in jobs.

I'll admit, most of my vintage is vintage in style and rather newly sewn (I'm known at work for sewing stuff the night before to wear that day, but I use vintage patterns.) It's nice, when I did my hair and makeup in a fifties style with a dress with a circle skirt I got comments that I looked nice, so I suppose that'sa good thing 'cause I think they meant it.

I don't think downtown Dallas is really where it needs to be in order to tempt me to live there, especially since it's nicer by White Rock Lake. We're in the Old Lake Highlands neighborhood on the hill just east of the lake.
I do hope that the Trinity River Project has a positive effect on revitalizing the area. We have a friend who started a business, across from NM, called Crimson in the City. She'd be doing much better if there were more full-time residents.
We should try to organize a North Texas get together down there before or during the holidays.

Gigi

New in Town
Living the vintage lifestyle in general is often difficult socially. While people might appreciate the way I look, it seems to make it difficult for some people to know what to say to me. They speak to me differently when I'm dressed that way.
At school this whole group of guys think my soon to be husband (who has a James Dean thing going on at the moment) and I are the weirdest people on earth! They've ever been caught spying on us! It's the way we live our lives that shocks them so. Originally they tried to be friends with my boyfriend, but then they became too "creeped out" by our clothes, movie and music taste, and way we spoke, all of which are products of our lifestyle.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I've never had any negative comments in person, but I was on a fashion forum a few years ago, mostly populated by so-called "fashionistas" who were, for the most part, grossed-out by my buying thrift. I'm not into labels, and I never was, they were drooling over Hermes Birkins and I'd rather have some little vinyl bag from the 1940s. They thought the epitome of style was Jessica Simpson, or even worse, Paris Hilton. If Jessica had a bag, they had to have the same bag. If Paris wore a certain lipgloss, they all had to wear the same lipgloss. It wasn't all 16 year olds either. Grown women wanted to dress like everyone else. I know one time, Jessica Simpson wore a Hanes t-shirt and everyone went crazy buying Hanes t-shirt on eBay. Paying 3-4 times what they cost at Wal-mart. Yeesh. I don't understand wanting to have every single thing someone else has...

Gigi

New in Town
Miss Brill said:
I've never had any negative comments in person, but I was on a fashion forum a few years ago, mostly populated by so-called "fashionistas" who were, for the most part, grossed-out by my buying thrift. I'm not into labels, and I never was, they were drooling over Hermes Birkins and I'd rather have some little vinyl bag from the 1940s. They thought the epitome of style was Jessica Simpson, or even worse, Paris Hilton. If Jessica had a bag, they had to have the same bag. If Paris wore a certain lipgloss, they all had to wear the same lipgloss. It wasn't all 16 year olds either. Grown women wanted to dress like everyone else. I know one time, Jessica Simpson wore a Hanes t-shirt and everyone went crazy buying Hanes t-shirt on eBay. Paying 3-4 times what they cost at Wal-mart. Yeesh. I don't understand wanting to have every single thing someone else has...

How grotesque! I can understand wanting to dress like someone, but at least pick a classic beauty! I once had this cute vintage bag I'd found at a thrift store. It was very '40s. A girl, much like these "fashionistas" and who would spend $200 on the ugliest, trendiest bag on earth, told me she liked my purse. I said, "Thanks, I got it at the thrift store for $5." She said, "Oh..." and got this really disguted look on her face. I was insulted, but I knew I had the prettier bag and it'd cost me a tiny fraction of what hers had!

lyburnum

Practically Family
Today I received three comments:
One on my way up to the station 'Nice skirt!'
One on the way to my friends house 'You look beautiful!'
One on the way home 'Are you going to a ball? Are you a dancer? Look at that skirt!'

Was rather nice, esp. since I go to uni in a relatively rough area so I'm never sure what comments I'm going to get!

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
A man in the street told me: "Nice hair", in a shop the lady told me "I love your hair it's very retro with the curls"!! That day was a good hair day lol lol!! It's not always like that!!lol!!

Camille

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
" I like your hair, it's sort of 20s...30s...40s..."

Well at least they were in the right neighborhood!

At least they weren't too far off! I got a "Oooh, you look really 60's!" once. lol

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
I grew up hating shopping and clothes since I could never find something that was truly what I liked. As of a year ago I was just wearing my old high school clothes because I didn't see anything I liked. I then met my bf who introduced me to vintage or vintage inspired fashions and fell in love with it. I love love love clothes now and love all of my dresses.

As for responses, I visit my family every saturday and my dad always makes a comment in a "why are you dressing like that" way. I try to ease up a bit when I visit him. My childhood friends love my look. I am just happy that I finally found things I love.

What do your parents think?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
retrogirl1941 said:
I always take those comments; for compliments! It drives my family crazy! They end up saying something like" thats samantha for you"!

Samantha
I love it. I sang songs from old musicals for the rest of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou