Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

The Shirt

Practically Family
My mother has forever said that she doesn't understand my madness when it comes to clothes - she just accepts that she will be wearing something similar in 2 years. I'm her only daughter that likes dresses - so she is pretty easy on me.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Today a lady said I remined her of a Barbidoll and another lady I work with who is the resident fashonista/supermodel said she loved my outfit. I'm feeling good today and the outfit is really warm so that's a plus.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
At my swing dance lesson last week an older guy complimented me on my outfit (I was wearing Vivien of Holloway denim sailor high waisted trousers, shirt, my hair clipped up) and said how he really loves the way I dress. When the lesson finished he told me to look up Hollywood dance/lindy hop etc on YouTube and that if you put me in black and white and compared it to those clips you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Quite sweet! Also when I wore a red rose in my hair with rolls to work the other day one of my colleagues said that my hair reminded her of Billie Holiday.

Elaina

One Too Many
Well, since moving to Tennessee, I've gotten nothing BUT compliments. I was in a pair of trousers and a 50's shirt, stopped by the bait shop at the end of my date for breakfast this morning (no, you did not misread that. It's the only place open at 4 am here) and had 3 old men wistle at me and one told me "we ain't seen a dame like you since the War."

Saturday night I got "It's so nice not to see a woman in jeans", "you look like my wife, bless her soul, she's been gone 20 years" and "want to dump that guy you're with and go paint the town red?" (From an elderly man I'd of broke had I of looked too hard at.)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Elaina said:
Well, since moving to Tennessee, I've gotten nothing BUT compliments.

That is strange. The people around here are highly suspicious of anyone who is different. They look at you like you are an alien if you have on a coat & hat, and God help you if you wear a muffler and gloves, people will stop talking when you walk in a room.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Brill said:
That is strange. The people around here are highly suspicious of anyone who is different. They look at you like you are an alien if you have on a coat & hat, and God help you if you wear a muffler and gloves, people will stop talking when you walk in a room.

Ditto. And if you smile at them, they have literally grabbed their children in front of me, and held them to their chest like I was going to eat the little buggers. (How did they know??? :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: :eek: )

Vintage Betty

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
Where I live, anyone not wearing a tracksuit is considered a major oddity, but luckily the worst I've had to deal with is strange looks. I've had some really nice compliments though, so it all balances out ;)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Ditto. And if you smile at them, they have literally grabbed their children in front of me, and held them to their chest like I was going to eat the little buggers. (How did they know??? :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: :eek: )

Vintage Betty

I had the same thing happen when I lived in the midwest ???? Is there something about the well dressed that we havn't been told. Hmmmm, tracksuit and slippers = safety :rolleyes:

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I did get a comment about my hair the other day, I was paying for my things when the girl helping me said she had never seen a bleached blonde before, only in the movies and she'd always wanted to see one in person......my husband, ever the commedian replys "there you go honey, making dreams come true".

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
goldwyn girl said:
I did get a comment about my hair the other day, I was paying for my things when the girl helping me said she had never seen a bleached blonde before, only in the movies and she'd always wanted to see one in person......my husband, ever the commedian replys "there you go honey, making dreams come true".

She'd never seen a bleached blonde before... in VEGAS? lol

~*Red*~

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:

lol Now that's just funny!! and unbelievable at the same time! Sheltered is right!

Back in the day when I used to dress up often, I was told I looked like an Andrews Sister, once I was told I looked like Peggy Lee, and by my older clients I was told I reminded them of themselves when they were young and dancing. Now I am often told I remind people of their mothers and grandmothers when they were young or just married. My goal is to try and look like my own grandmother. Thinner and shorter hair with a wave...I'll get it one day. For now, I am loving the longer hair, rolls and updos again. It's been a very long time since I've had my hair this long.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I recieved one of the best compliments,a little quirky,but I loved it.
One of our clients said "I always look forward to coming in here and seeing what Brittany is wearing.She always looks so stylish."

My co-worker then said "When I first started working here,I thought she was from overseas.Her look is so European to me."

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
We should have a thread called comments you get when you don't dress vintage. My mom looked at me this morning and said "Is that what your wearing to work today?". I slept late so I went the casual route. :rolleyes:

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I was at an antique show of all places with a dear friend, and we were quite the 40's divas. An ill-dressed woman came up and said "Oh, my - I love your costumes!"

Wish I'd been swift enough to say, "Oh, I love yours as well."

I wore some 70's jeans and a friend's band t-shirt into one of my regular Goodwills. (I'm only in pants a couple times a month) I greeted the gal behind the case when I first came in, and she stared and looked confused before saying "Oh, Julie... I didn't recognize you!"

That almost warmed my heart.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Once a complete stranger came up to me in a bar to comment on the fact that I was wearing jeans. She said that I was always so formally dressed, she was surprised to see me in jeans. I have no clue who she was or why she knew how I always dress. lol

Big Daddy Brian

New in Town
You Ladies All Look "Mahvalous"

I'm new here but definitely dig the Vintgae scene and look!

Any woman that spends a few extra minutes (and a lot of effort) to look as great as you ladies should be complimented!

On Tuesday, I was picking up a few items at the local market for dinner and a lady (about 35-ish) was just dressed to beat the band, so... I quietly told her that she looked absolutely gorgeous and it was sooo nice to see someone who obviously knew style and showed it.

Funny thing is; I'm a married man but... this gal DESERVED to be told that her attention to detail and smart outfit was the Bom! Great dress, cute shoes and seamed stockings... how could I not say "You are too Cute!"

Anyway, for you ladies who wonder if guys notice, we do. And for those guys or gals who think you are wearing "costumes", they don't have a clue. Be yourself and bring back a little romance and style to life. Anyone can dress down and look like Spears and the other clones, you ladies show class and real style... don't stop... we (who appreciate REAL women) dig it!

Brian

The Shirt

Practically Family
Last night dumby drunk guy started accosting me at a very nice quiet club/restaurant. "Where's your PPOOOODDLLLEEE skirt lady? Your Hair is soooo (trips over himself and stops)". I politely informed him I was shooting for 1945 not 1955 in my high waisted pants and victory rolls. That shut him up rather quick - I think he might of expected me to jump in his lap or run away with him for acknowledging the vintage look. People are silly sometimes.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I always always get "are you a fashion student?" and then a blank shocked look and a "then why...." with-an-up-and-down-of-my-outfit when I say no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany