Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
My family swears by the penny in a purse. I was a given a new wallet from a coworker for the holidays and went looking for the penny to not find one... I was honestly quite confused by that! I had thought everyone did it.

My recent favorite comment about dressing vintage was from my friend who was getting married. She made hair appointments for all of her (eight!) bridesmaids, except for me. When I asked why I wasn't getting my hair done she told me that she loved how it looked when I put it up in "vintage style" and asked if I would wear it in rolls on her wedding day! I was so pleased!

Naama

Practically Family
The vintage style is never wrong

Hey all :)

So, I was wondering, have you ever gotten any negative remarkes about your style? I was just wondering, because the other day, three guys from university who are all everything else than into fashion :rolleyes: told me that they would like my style, one even told me how great it looks that my thights fit to my blouse (what was an accident actually lol ). But what really amazed me, was that this came from people who I always assumed to look down on me because of the way I dress and wear my hair. I don't know, to me it seems, that everybody likes the vintage/retro touch. No matter where I go, people tend to be rather positive about my looks. I never heard anything mean or something. May it be old or very young people. So I wounder, did you ever got any negative remarks or something?

Naama

I often get people looking at me in a funny way. I've not had anyone say anything, but people do tend to stare as in 'oh my god look at THAT'. I was on the bus the other day when a teenage girl was doing it for the whole of the 30 minute journey. It made me pretty uncomfortable I'll be honest...

I'm kinda used to the funny looks by now though, after all, I did dye my hair flamingo pink for many years lol

alexandra

Practically Family
I like when people point out what you're wearing. As if they're informing you that you happen to have accidentally stumbled upon some fashion they have a bit of information on.

"Oh hey you look like...1930's or 40's or something!"

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
What do you say?

I get it from my mother. "Why do you always dress this way? Why are you so weird?" (Said even though I am no where near 100% retro or 100% anything. Never have been for that matter Last part I believe, said in jest.)

I tell her, "It's either this or VPL (visible-panty-line) Jeans, with everything hanging out!" (Even though I am in no way going that way whether she likes my style or not!)

She gets my point. ;)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
add_pier.gif
Yesterday at the train station something pretty absurd took place. I was wearing a 50's scarf around my head, like in the pic but smaller. People are always staring at me (either because of my vintage cat-eye specs or because of my breathtaking beauty, I can't tell which) so I usually don't take much notice of it. In the case of pre-pubescent eyeballers showing off to their pathetic gang, I sometimes hear laughter, which was the case this time. A half minute after they'd spotted me they'd already managed to organize a chant with a footballesque melody (impressive!) and raised their yet girly voices "EASTER IS OVER! EASTER IS OVER!" in a greeting of sorts as I boarded the train.
Now I'm sure that everyone who isn't swedish is wondering what the heck that was all about. Let me clarify. In sweden when it's easter small boys and girls dress-up as a cuter version of witches. Instead of hats they wear scarfs, and put rouge and freckles on their cheeks. Then they go door to door and trick-or-treat (but without the trick, they're really not scary). So, in short thay said I looked like a witch. Aah, don't you just love pre-teen boys? *gagging noise*

Smuterella

One Too Many
darling, when boys tease it usually means they are fascinated / attracted. Take it as a badly executed compliment.

(personally i think this is exceptionally true in the case of homophobic men....but thats off topic so i'll stop there)

cherry lips said:
add_pier.gif
Yesterday at the train station something pretty absurd took place. I was wearing a 50's scarf around my head, like in the pic but smaller. People are always staring at me (either because of my vintage cat-eye specs or because of my breathtaking beauty, I can't tell which) so I usually don't take much notice of it. In the case of pre-pubescents eyeballers showing off to their pathetic gang, I sometimes hear laughter, which was the case this time. A half minute after they'd spotted me they'd already managed to organize a chant with a footballesque melody (impressive!) and raised their yet girly voices "EASTER IS OVER! EASTER IS OVER!" in a greeting of sorts as I boarded the train.
Now I'm sure that everyone who isn't swedish is wondering what the heck that was all about. Let me clarify. In sweden when it's easter small boys and girls dress-up as a cuter version of witches. Instead of hats they wear scarfs, and put rouge and freckles on their cheeks. Then they go door to door and trick-or-treat (but without the trick, they're really not scary). So, in short thay said I looked like a witch. Aah, don't you just love pre-teen boys? *gagging noise*

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Emblaze said:
"What are you going to wear when you're 40? Wait, I know, you're just going to wear the same things you wear now, so when the rest of us are all going "Eww, we're old and 40" we'll look at you and think "Wow, she hasn't changed a bit since she was 20!". I know your plan, you witch, you want to make us all jealous 20 years from now!"
This is my plan! I'll be the loveliest granny ever with my cat-eyes and beaded cardis. Moahahahaha!

lillielil

Familiar Face
I keep hearing "You look so 50s!"

Either I'm doing it wrong, or everyone else is confused, because I could have sworn I was going for a 40's look.

I also get asked why I'm so dressed up. I don't have a good answer other than "Why not?"

alexandra

Practically Family
I recently saw old school friends who hadn't seen me in a long, long time since I started dressing the way I do. One of them said "If I didn't know you, I'd ask why you were dressing that way, but you've always been really weird" and I laughed.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
I always always get "are you a fashion student?" and then a blank shocked look and a "then why...." with-an-up-and-down-of-my-outfit when I say no.

:eek:fftopic: but I kind of get the opposite: I dress a little too casually (why bother for a 9:30 class full of girls??) than I'd like to admit and when someone finds out that I am a fashion student, they do a, "Oh! Really?!..." with a lingering look over my clothes.

Mostly, my mom and friends just think I'm odd for liking "grandma" clothes. Sometimes I just wished that I liked contemporary styles, so much cheaper and easier to find. But I can't! I hate this faux maternity/empire waist/tunic-y look that's going on! Jeans with everything and ill-fitting tight tops, with low necklines (I think this is how companies make money, too low necklines so you have to buy a layering tanktop!). Give me a cardigan and circle skirt anyday, please.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I already dressed weird in high school (I was one of those 'art kids' lol), so when I came home from college all pencil-skirted and rocking the bewinged eyeliner, no one really commented.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
A lady the other day commented on how well I'd done my lipstick, and I caught another lady in the supermarket staring at my stockings - I don't think she realised that she was doing it so she was a bit embarrassed when she found I was looking at her, she complimented me on how straight my seams were and I thought it was really sweet.

It's actually weird for me to see other people rocking this kind of look because I don't come across it very often, there was a lady exiting the train station yesterday who I couldn't keep my eyes off because of her gorgeous red hair and her cat-eye sunglasses. I guess that's how other people feel when they see me! xx

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:
darling, when boys tease it usually means they are fascinated / attracted. Take it as a badly executed compliment.

(personally i think this is exceptionally true in the case of homophobic men....but thats off topic so i'll stop there)
Thanks Smuterella, you're a sweetie.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
SarahLouise, you simply must see that series, it's a blast! It's an absurd comedy/musical set in the 50's. Your colleague meant you looked like this lovely lady, she was never seen in anything but a pencil skirt!
Lipstick.JPG

SarahLouise said:
A few weeks ago I went to work with a pencil skirt, seamed hold-ups and curled hair with a flower and a colleague said he loved my look and it reminded him of a tv series called 'Lipstick On Your Collar'. I'd never heard of it but apparently it was on in the early 90s.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
lillielil said:
I keep hearing "You look so 50s!"

Either I'm doing it wrong, or everyone else is confused, because I could have sworn I was going for a 40's look.

People just dont know. I wouldnt hold not knowing the fashions of an era against them. :)

I was on the bus today and a cute little chocolate brown girl with her brother and mom smiled at me and said, "Mama you should look like her, shes pretty." :eek:

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24