Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

MissS

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
Wish I'd seen it, MissS - it sounds like an absolutely gorgeous ensemble!

:eek:fftopic: So glad to see the recommendations from you and Miss1929 for the Taisho Chic exhibition - I'm so looking to seeing it and some of the associated programs. I was going to start a thread about it in Events - I am dying to get ahold of the poster for the exhibition! The other great one is the V&A Deco exhibition coming to Melbourne - we're planning a weekend down there to catch it.

Mojito, it wasn't a huge exhibition - just in the back corner of the gallery, however the pieces were simply divine. I potted around for about an hour, just going over it piece by piece.

I'm sorry I didn't post in events, but I was unexpectedly told to take a breather from work last Friday, so it was spur of the moment.

Just be warned about the Japanese tourists - remember to charge them! lol

Oh, can you post an event for the exhibition in Melbourne? Perhaps a good opportunity for us to catch up with our southern friends?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Me and one of my girl friends who dresses very vintage was at the Hotel D'Angleterre today for tea and cakes, which they have every sunday and when we entered the hotel, the doorman who was about 55+ years old, held the door, asked if it was the tea and cake room we were there for and then said that he thought it was so refreshing to see ladies dressed so nicely and who looked so ladylike. He talked a bit more about how we reminded him of 'the good old' days and so on.. It was so nice and it truely made my day.

TessTrueheart

I was told yesterday by a well respected famous Swedish writer whom I greatly admire that I look like a "1940's scandal beauty". I was happy all day long after that!

Lillemor

One Too Many
goldwyn girl, it's always brightens my mood when I come across someone who has just the faintest inkling:) My husband had never heard of white wall tires until I explained it to him.

"Is that a perm?"

"No, I set my hair on curlers"

"Oh, then you must have too much time on your hands"

I heard that one so many times as a teenager and there may have been some truth to it but you're only a teenager once.

Now, I've decided that with the little time I have to myself and with the few pleasures I can afford, I'll spend that time and money on things that enhance my look because I'm tired of looking like a frumpy homemaker just to satisfy working moms that I suffer sufficiently enough to justify my lifestyle choice. Excuse the rant.

What if I had "too much" time on my hands?! Not that it's the case...as long as I get stuff done and my family doesn't suffer for my vanity, surely it's no one's business.

I'm going to stop right here because I have trouble letting go of a rantlol

MissHannah

One Too Many
TessTrueheart said:
I was told yesterday by a well respected famous Swedish writer whom I greatly admire that I look like a "1940's scandal beauty". I was happy all day long after that!

What a brilliant compliment - I love it!

MissHannah

One Too Many
My art director at work comes up with various names for me on a weekly basis. Last week it was Miss Clacton-on-Sea 1953 lol

TessTrueheart

MissHannah said:
What a brilliant compliment - I love it!

It was indeed a brilliant compliment, from a brilliant lady! It was a day for compliments, earlier in the day someone stopped me while grocery shopping to tell me that my hair looked great. I wish more days were like yesterday!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I had a good day on Friday I got told I looked like "a film star", "Marilyn Monroe" and "that Scarlett Thingummy" all by strangers on the street. Big hair, must keep the big hair going. :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
When I was walking down the seafront at Brighton on Saturday night, at about 3am, I got incoherently hollered at by a drunk man, and then his friend told him to "leave it" because I was "way out of his league"! And then someone else called me a 'sexy nurse' when I was wearing a nautical outfit consisting of a blue and white repro dress complete with sailor hat! (It was a hen weekend lol )

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
When I was walking down the seafront at Brighton on Saturday night, at about 3am, I got incoherently hollered at by a drunk man, and then his friend told him to "leave it" because I was "way out of his league"!
How refreshing when a guy (ok his friend) actually realizes that! Unlike girls/women some guys don't judge themselves/ look in the mirror first before hitting on a girl, even if she is a *goddess* (like in Fleur's case). Actually, they should think twice before hollering at any girl.
I love this thread! MissHannah you look so elegant in your new avatar it hurts.

swinggal

One Too Many
I think I've mainly had compliments. Anything negative has only come from women.

I think that men love to see a feminine woman, because they rarely SEE this anymore. As well as being a vintage fan, i am also a swing dancer so I wear seamed stockings and tap pants under my a-line skirts when I dance. I'm always amazed at the dropped jaws I get from non-dancing men who get to see the tops of my stockings in a spin. And yet I'm fully clothed from head to toe - unlike half the women around me. A glimpse it seems, is so much more alluring.

It's funny to see the reaction of men to shapely, classic clothing, feminine makeup (more the red lips than anything) and seamed stockings! I truly believe it's because men don't see their girlfriends or women in general dressed in really feminine attire anymore. It's a novelty to them but to other women...they seem to get upset that you can look sexy without being baring all. So many girls these days go out clubbing wearing barely anything at yet the men are staring at women like us. ;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
swinggal said:
It's funny to see the reaction of men to shapely, classic clothing, feminine makeup (more the red lips than anything) and seamed stockings! I truly believe it's because men don't see their girlfriends or women in general dressed in really feminine attire anymore.

I was watching the original "Designing Women" with Peck and Mrs Humphrey Bogart and the scene were they do the jealousy thing and he is packing to leave town. Lauren Bacall has a great svelte figure but the clothes acentuate the dynamic look which strikes a male because this style of clothing is never much seen anymore. Glamour and cut... figure hugging without being vulgar.

Nice to "see" you again Swinggal. It's been a while.

I was at the PO last week wearing one of the slightly vintage Target dresses (brown with white dots and ruffle front) a pair of espadrilles, hair was just pulled back in a pony at my neck and my make up was vintage with red lipstick, I had people looking at me and smiling, men holding doors, and this wasn't even full vintage.:eek:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
My art director at work comes up with various names for me on a weekly basis. Last week it was Miss Clacton-on-Sea 1953 lol

Oh that's great! I love it.

BTW I used to go there as a kid!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
Nice to "see" you again Swinggal. It's been a while.

I was at the PO last week wearing one of the slightly vintage Target dresses (brown with white dots and ruffle front) a pair of espadrilles, hair was just pulled back in a pony at my neck and my make up was vintage with red lipstick, I had people looking at me and smiling, men holding doors, and this wasn't even full vintage.:eek:

Wearing a dress makes a huge difference :)

lady eel

New in Town
freebird said:
had to laugh, outta the mouths of babes.

I got my niece a furry horse costume/jacket thing, she's about 4-5. I was wearing a leopard trench, and she asked "Can I wear my costume? Auntielane is wearing her's!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn