Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

The Shirt

Practically Family
Today I got one that left me very pleased. Another designer came up and and complimented my outfit - 50s reproduction floral with bolero sweater and Lucky Lou shoes. I trust her opinion so I asked if the hair flower was too much. I like them for evening but I am at work and thought maybe it's too something. Anyway - she squealed "No - it's totally your thing. You pull it off and we just know it's all part of your look. You have a 'thing'!"

I don't know why that pleased me so much but it did.

alexandra

Practically Family
Yesterday someone said "You look like one of those drawn cartoon girls in calendars. You know?"

and I said "A pin up girl!?"

and they said "Yes exactly!"

and I said "Well wow. That's a compliment!"

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I got this the other day:

A gardener in a van called to me as I walked past, wearing a chiffon headscarf, "Oi! You look like Amy Winehouse!"

And I replied "Wow. What a MASSIVE insult!"

I was not aware of looking like a malnourished drug addict with a huge, possibly infested beehive! lol

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:

A gardener in a van called to me as I walked past, wearing a chiffon headscarf, "Oi! You look like Amy Winehouse!"

I was not aware of looking like a malnourished drug addict with a huge, possibly infested beehive! lol
I got an Amy Winehouse reference yesterday at work. I was wearing winged brown eyeliner and a coworker said, "You've got the Amy Winehouse look today." I definitely was not flattered.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Audrey Horne said:
I got an Amy Winehouse reference yesterday at work. I was wearing winged brown eyeliner and a coworker said, "You've got the Amy Winehouse look today." I definitely was not flattered.

I'm glad I wore that look back in the 90s before Amy Winehouse! I'd hate a comment like that too.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
A nice comment

I went to a cocktail party last week and got lots of compliments on this dress but a stranger said, "you are really channeling Grace Kelly" I will live on that comments for quite a while.
IMG_5707.jpg

Ignore the Pez, I was being silly after the party.

pin_up_pixie

New in Town
At a pirate festival last weekend, I was asked why Bettie Paige would be around such "ruffians". I took it as a complement...and hey, I guess even pirates like pin up girls...lol.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pirate pinup!

pin_up_pixie said:
At a pirate festival last weekend, I was asked why Bettie Paige would be around such "ruffians". I took it as a complement...and hey, I guess even pirates like pin up girls...lol.

Rather like Zoe Dell Lantis, theme girl for the Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island, 1939-40?

zoe_dell_lantis.jpg

MissHannah

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:

You forgot 'scabby' ;)
It's pretty upsetting to be compared to her at the moment. And Fleur - you are the epitome of the OPPOSITE of Amy: elegant, ladylike and stylishly understated.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I sometimes get those uncomfortable comments from old men trying to be fresh like " you remind me of a pretty girl i dated when I was young" and then they chuckle a little and check you out. lol

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne said:

me too! i get it from chavs when im dressed 40s! and im no where near a size 6!!!! ha ha!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Yesterday I was coming out of the supermarket when I was stopped by a checker who said "thank you for wearing that outfit. I feel 40 years younger" I was wearing all vintage 50's. Black and white gingham full skirt sun frock with crinoline underneath, ankle strap shoes and wicker basket.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MissHannah said:
You forgot 'scabby' ;)
It's pretty upsetting to be compared to her at the moment. And Fleur - you are the epitome of the OPPOSITE of Amy: elegant, ladylike and stylishly understated.

You may think it odd, but who the hell is Amy Winehouse?

goldwyn girl said:
Yesterday I was coming out of the supermarket when I was stopped by a checker who said "thank you for wearing that outfit. I feel 40 years younger" I was wearing all vintage 50's. Black and white gingham full skirt sun frock with crinoline underneath, ankle strap shoes and wicker basket.

That is so sweet!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
GG you're my idol :)
goldwyn girl said:

I like Ms Winehouse, though she was certainly much better when she had some meat on her. I really don't see the resemeblance between you & her Fleur lol You look like you bathe quite often for a start lol Ugh, she's such a skank now!

It irks me that just because you like old styles you must be copying people like her!

Anyway, the ladies I work with love the way I dress (the new job allows me to always make the effort now) they always ask me about what I'm wearing & how I got into that kind of thing. I never really know how to explain that one [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran