Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Kishtu

Practically Family
I never get comments, I only get perved :mad:

In the last week two of my male friends have confessed with some embarrassment that they "like" me inappropriately, one blaming the accent, one blaming the smile (GAH why does this never happen when one is single)

I get called "darling" a lot more in vintage though....

MissHannah

One Too Many
You're telling me you live in Cornwall and you don't get heckled Kishtu?! I moved to London from Devon about 4 years ago and used to get heckled constantly, even though I was a lot more 'subtle' back then. There was a lot of staring too... most of it not nice.

Kishtu

Practically Family
MissHannah, it might be something to do with the fact that where we live has such a high population of older people - most of them still dress like this!? :) (Seriously - the charity shops in Camborne are great!!!)

It may also be something to do with me being six-foot-something in high heels.... I have to say that no one has actually heckled me in the best part of six years since I moved here. Oh apart from a bloke who liked my leather trousers (um, PVC, actually) in Newquay once.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
You're telling me you live in Cornwall and you don't get heckled Kishtu?! I moved to London from Devon about 4 years ago and used to get heckled constantly, even though I was a lot more 'subtle' back then. There was a lot of staring too... most of it not nice.

I noticed the same thing. My husband was from London, but his parents live in Devon. While in London visiting him, no one looked twice at us. In Devon visiting his parents, we got the weird stares. It was the same here -- when I lived in the small town in New Jersey I got cold stares, giggles, and people spreading malicious gossip about me. Here in Philadelphia no one pays attention to us.

When the jealous souls in New Jersey used to say I dress differently for the attention, they were SERIOUSLY WRONG!!!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Haha! Maybe Truro is just a bit more polite than Exeter then!
I'm with you on the charity shops though - always brilliant and really cheap. And the vintage fair in Exeter was the cheapest I've ever been to - amazing.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Now is funny you say Exeter cos I've got a mate there who wants to get into the vintage thing. Exeter seems to have much more fun socially, and we seem to have the better charity shops (heh heh)

Having said that I maybe ought to qualify my experiences, I'm an old goth, maybe being stared at is just my default setting....??

MissHannah

One Too Many
Ah well... there is at least The Real McCoy in Exeter, which isn't the best vintage shop in the world these days but it isn't bad and is run/managed by a genuine vintage enthusiast. Exeter is just pretty 'townie' and a bit rough. It's my hometown so I shan't slag it off too much... but it is rather conservative with a small C, and yet kind of lairy too!

JessiLynn

Familiar Face
Darhling - That is the cutest greeting ever, what a compliment!!

As for comments and responses... There have been a lot lately, it's been sort of strange.

Before I left on a trip for New York, I was in the mall buying new stockings and this one woman literally followed me around for a few minutes. My mum, who was shopping with me, was really really creeped out :p I just smiled at the woman.

While in NY I got three, "Are you an actress? You look like an actress" and one of them said I looked like the chicks in the Black Dahlia, which I thought was nice. I just said "I'm not, but thanks so much".

While walking to the market the other day, someone yelled out of their car "Are you in the Grease movie?" and I cracked up.

Walking into an antique store about three days ago, the man at the front counter said as soon as I walked in "Wow you look like you just stepped right out of the '40's!" and was trying to remember the name of an actress I apparently reminded him of from the era. I just said thank you so much and smiled.

A woman at some random store at the mall had said "Aw I haven't seen a dress like that in so many years! You look like a model!" I think I thanked her profusely, haha. She was such a sweetie!

And finally, while sitting in a coffee shop about a week ago, a woman came up to me and told me that she wished her daughters were there because they would have "loved your hair! And your dress! They would have been saying, 'Look mommy! A princess!' "

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Blue Star

Nashoba said:
I went to the flea market at the state fairgrounds yesterday and wow. I don't think I've ever had so many complete strangers tell me I was beautiful, or that they loved my outfit and hair or that they thought I was cute or lovely. The older ladies and gents would stop me and comment and even the guys my age were doing double takes. Now I don't consider myself the prettiest gal out there but this was almost exhillerating! I had one guy about my age I would guess stop me and ask me if I was a WWII reenactor. I said no, I dress like this pretty much every day. He eyed the vintage blue star pin I was wearing and started to tell me how he was in the Army and would be an officer soon. I told him that the blue star was for my husband who was currently deployed and he actually looked a little dissapointed! Then apologized hoping that he didn't offend me! It was really sweet. I wasn't even dressed to the nines. I was wearing a simple dress (actually it was a black with white floral pattern that I bought at TARGET a couple of weeks ago) simple white shoes and gloves and I found a sweet halo hat early in the day that I decided to wear to complete my outfit and I had my hair up in two reverse rolls. So I've decided that at least once a month when I need an ego boost, I just have to go to the flea market :). I havn't actually felt that pretty in a long time. talk about an ego boost! It just goes to show that when you take even a small amount of time to look presentable it can change your entire outlook for the day!

You look fantastic in your photo, Nashoba! You inspire me to dress vintage even more than now. I served in Iraq with the Cavalry, and my mother flew the blue star on her front door the whole year. May the Lord bring your husband home safely. Uh, oh...I just realized that this thread is in the Powder Room. Sorry, ladies. :0

Widebrim

JessiLynn

Familiar Face
Got a really cute one today.

I was in Disneyland waiting for a friend to get out of the bathroom, and this little girl holding one of those "autograph" books and a pen comes over and asks "Excuse me, Ma'am? Do you work here?"
She was just too cute. I don't know why but, that made my day.

That one, and then also when I was leaving the park and some random guy called "Marilyn Monroe!!" out of his car :p That one was good for a laugh.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
You may think it odd, but who the hell is Amy Winehouse?
I don't know why but I absolutly love the fact that you have no idea who Amy Winehouse is. I think I am feeling too caught up in modern Pop Culture these days.

We had a huge family reunion a few weeks ago with a dinnes and a picnic the following day. I got lots of comments from my reletives but sadly they all sad I looked very 60's, which I did not.:(

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
My fiancee lives in the East Bay, and whenever I am down there on the first Sunday of the month, we go to the massive Alameda flea market. We get there at 6am - that means we're up before 5am. I'm an early riser, but not THAT early.

EVERY time, the same gal comes around and wants to take my pic for the fashion on the street feature in the paper.

Now. If I was PROPERLY dolled up, makeup, hair, gloves - sure. Take the photo. But she's trying to convince me how darling I look in my housedress. (Not that she'd know it from the new thing at Tar-get.) Sure, I look lovely, with my tired eyes, uneven complexion and low-heeled wedges. One of these times I will have to get up at 4am so I can actually say, "Thank you, yes, take that photo!"

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:
I like Ms Winehouse, though she was certainly much better when she had some meat on her. I really don't see the resemeblance between you & her Fleur lol You look like you bathe quite often for a start lol Ugh, she's such a skank now!

It irks me that just because you like old styles you must be copying people like her!

Bugs the hell out of me that if you wear cat eye make up You are instantly OMG OMG OMG! LIKE SOOOOOOOO AMY. Or as I like to say a "Wine-abee" She's a nice voice. Hot mess, but a nice voice.

But her hive is so ragged, and her cat eyes so blunt and poorly done, I hate to say it (Not really) But It always got on my nerves. (And I don't know how to do hair or make up But I'd hold up a pic of her and think... okay... this is what not to do!) :eek:

:( Sorry if you like her... But her messiness in hair and make up got me. :(

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
alexandra said:
I've gotten a ridiculous number of positive reactions/comments over the past 3 days which is really nice as I've been feeling like a pile of crap on legs lol

Yesterday a guy said this to me when "Donna" came on:

"You look like you popped out of this song. It's like I'm waiting for Marty McFly to come dance with you."

And I laughed and was like "Close enough!"

Where did Marty McFly come out of? Whose he? [huh]

Ada Veen

Practically Family
the main character (Michael J Fox) in back to the future. He goes back in time to the 50s and dances with his hot mom as a teenager. :)

dahliaoleander said:
Bugs the hell out of me that if you wear cat eye make up You are instantly OMG OMG OMG! LIKE SOOOOOOOO AMY. Or as I like to say a "Wine-abee" She's a nice voice. Hot mess, but a nice voice.

But her hive is so ragged, and her cat eyes so blunt and poorly done, I hate to say it (Not really) But It always got on my nerves. (And I don't know how to do hair or make up But I'd hold up a pic of her and think... okay... this is what not to do!) :eek:

:( Sorry if you like her... But her messiness in hair and make up got me. :(

I like her music but that's where the liking ends!!!! She looks like a big fat mess, it's awful! I feel sorry for her. It's a definate say no to drugs advert. You won't be able to guage how good (or not) you look lol lol lol

dahliaoleander said:
Where did Marty McFly come out of? Whose he? [huh]

marty2.jpg

I'd dance with him.

I'd rather George though, he has the moves fo' sho'. But I'm not that fussy.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DAMN, we could have met today!

pdxvintagette said:
My fiancee lives in the East Bay, and whenever I am down there on the first Sunday of the month, we go to the massive Alameda flea market. We get there at 6am - that means we're up before 5am. I'm an early riser, but not THAT early.

EVERY time, the same gal comes around and wants to take my pic for the fashion on the street feature in the paper.

Now. If I was PROPERLY dolled up, makeup, hair, gloves - sure. Take the photo. But she's trying to convince me how darling I look in my housedress. (Not that she'd know it from the new thing at Tar-get.) Sure, I look lovely, with my tired eyes, uneven complexion and low-heeled wedges. One of these times I will have to get up at 4am so I can actually say, "Thank you, yes, take that photo!"

PM next time, let's have a play date. Maybe just stay up all night in order to be dressed...

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
deadpandiva said:
I don't know why but I absolutly love the fact that you have no idea who Amy Winehouse is. I think I am feeling too caught up in modern Pop Culture these days.

That's what happens when you listen to nothing but 30s jazz for 15 years or so... looks like I didn't miss much in the way of fashion in her case!

deadpandiva said:
We had a huge family reunion a few weeks ago with a dinnes and a picnic the following day. I got lots of comments from my reletives but sadly they all sad I looked very 60's, which I did not.:(

And from people who probably were there, and knew better... you are so late 30s to me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran