Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lillemor

One Too Many
Josephine said:
I won't look at a guy twice unless he has glasses on! :)

My husband and I both wear glasses and neither of us want lenses. I can't actually do completely away with glasses anyway because of my astigmatism or whatever it's called.

We recently got new glasses. I'm envious that his are more retro than mine though:( People just wrinkle their nose at his and say they look very "distinguised" and really gives him "character". I'm not sure how to interpret that. People give me more positive compliments but I wish my glasses looked more authentic 50s.

Edward

Bartender
dollydaydream said:
I kept getting funny looks fro people in London at the weekend. And I thought they were meant to be cool people down there :p

I had to laugh when, in Camden Market, one of the 'vintage' shops were selling Peacocks dresses...

Meh, Camden sure ain't what it used to be. Back when I fist moved to London in 99, the Stables was wall to wall vintage and lots of interesting stuff.... now even the "vintage" stores stuffed full of 80s tat with the odd good find in there have either disappeared or gone silly-money, and many have disappeared completely to make way for yet more expensive craft stalls selling novelty candles for middle aged tourists. I guess that's what happens, though, when the local council ride roguhshod over the views of the people and grant permission for the area to be turned into a soulless concrete and glass complex in an effort to create a mini-me Covent Garden for the tourists. :rage: Hopefully the East End markets will be saved such an ignoble fate, though I don't know....

MissHannah said:
Yeah, still get it in London - but it tends to be more curiosity and admiration than the outright outrage and revulsion I would get in Exeter! :p

I find this too. Occasionally people say something I don't care for (the cowboy comments about a fedora and even on occasion panama get really tedious), though for the most part it's meant in fun and not malicious. I actually receive far more compliments than anything else on the hats / clothes. I find London much more open minded in general - I've gotten on the tube in full drag before now without any hassle (I was on the way to the last night of Little Shop of Horrors, dressed s Sheridan Smith's Audrey), manys a time in full Dr Frank'n'Furter, and never had trouble. Usually folks are amused to see something different, occasionally they want a photo. The worst reaction I've ever had was in Liverpool - wasn't out in vintage there, it was costume (with an element of semi-drag - an early 80s Phillip Sallon look) for an event I was at... at 3 in the afternoon we had coins thrown at us; at night we were surrounded and pushed around by scallies. All for "looking like freaks." It's not only small towns that breed small minds, it seems!

Edit:

Apologies, ladies - I just realised that I posted this in the powder room (it turned up in a site search, and I didn't notice which area it was in until already posted). Mods, please delete if it is inappropriate for one of the gentlemen to be posting to this thread.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
^ well you were dressed in drag and I am sure behaving like a lady, so maybe your post fits just fine in here! ;)

I think the worst/ignorant comment I have heard was at a recent wedding, I was sitting and talking to a lovely girl who was very interested in my look and especially my stockings and garters, when her boyfriend came over she told him about this and said she wanted to go out and get some to and his joyful response (to me) was 'sounds great, just make her more slutty!'. I thought about telling him about how stockings and garters weren't made back in the day to be part of a slutty look, but I decided not to.

Smuterella

One Too Many
at the wedding I went to yesterday an 85 year old gentleman told me I was "a lady who knows how to dress like a lady"

I feel very flattered!

Smuterella

One Too Many
Darhling said:
^ well you were dressed in drag and I am sure behaving like a lady, so maybe your post fits just fine in here! ;)

I think the worst/ignorant comment I have heard was at a recent wedding, I was sitting and talking to a lovely girl who was very interested in my look and especially my stockings and garters, when her boyfriend came over she told him about this and said she wanted to go out and get some to and his joyful response (to me) was 'sounds great, just make her more slutty!'. I thought about telling him about how stockings and garters weren't made back in the day to be part of a slutty look, but I decided not to.

Darhling, thats the sexiest avatar I've ever seen!

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I have had people compliment my hair before, and today my neighbors thought I was someone else with my new haircut, which made me chuckle. Yesterday, though, I actually had an older gentleman tip his hat to me. :D Sure, it was just a baseball cap, but I was very tickled by it.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
At the local malt shop

My hubby and I went dancing at the local malt shop Tuesday night. I wore a sundress, wedges, hair in an upsweep with a flower. An older gentleman pulled my husband aside and said "My wife knows yours from somewhere...she's either a waitress or a hairdresser". [huh]

Honey Doll

Lorena B

Practically Family
What i do get often is the tipical, "oh, you look like Dita Von Teese" or shouts of "Elvis"

Also i get specially from vintage dealers at markets like Portobello and Greenwich " oh, i love your outfit (or bag), is it original??"

The looks have always been there, funny enough i get more sarcastic looks or comments from women, oh well!!

The worse thing i was told was back in Spain when i got called gipsy or if i had eaten a parachute (wearing full skirts):mad:

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Hey ladies!

Well.. normally I just get stared at... the older ladies here at work get a kick out of my hair and wordrobe.. LOL they remember the good old days! I love my little old ladies!

Then if I am at the store or something normally the cashier will stare alittle then ask me if I did my own hair... I giggle and say yes.. then hand them a card (I do hair) and normally thats another client :)

Most teenagers dig it.. and some of the real snooty ones will whisper and say things... So.. i just smile and keepa walkin....

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Thank you ladies.. yall are so sweet :)

Well.. I have been commin up with different hair styles latley.. just to kind of spice up life.. LOL

For me.. the secret.. is no secret... its just getting to know your hair and how it works...
My hair is VERY long and it took me forever to get the swing of things with my hair. Then.. u find a rythm with your hair.. and some days it will happen in one shot.. and others.. well lets just say im LATE to work (like this morning) because your hair did not want to pomp or curl in the direction u were intending it to.

This is the hair for today :)

l_273166a9eb28ea3ec3798ac27507bfb8.jpg

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lorena B said:
FABBBBB!!!!!

I LOVE ur Pigtails... I wish I could wear em.. but they dont suit me very well with a round face and all LOL...

:eek:fftopic:

What time is it over there... LOL I have a friend that lives in England and whenever I want to call her.. its in the middle of the night :eek:

hotrodmama0201

Familiar Face
Lorena B said:
What i do get often is the tipical, "oh, you look like Dita Von Teese" or shouts of "Elvis"

I get the Dita comments too and also Bettie Page. I look absolutely nothing like either of them, but what I think is that for alot of people, it's not really that I have the same physical attributes, but more so it's the only way they can really identify with this "style" they aren't sure the name of or understand it's meaning. I also have people say that I look like "the 50's or something" or, "You have that style kind of like, ya know, that chick on the poster making the fist (referring to Rosie the Riveter)"

I work at a clothing store, we sell rockabilly stuff like Lucky 13 and whatnot, vintage and vintage repro, etc.....most of our customers are "like us" so to speak, but every once in a while someone will stumble in, look around completely confused like "wow, what kind of store is this??" I had a girl today tell me I "looked like a pinup girl" haha....I was so scruffy today too, not pinup like at all...hair up in a bandana, an old t-shirt I got at Pearl Harbor years back, skinny jeans and chucks.

Most of the time here in Tucson the comments aren't rude, they are mostly casual observation or inquisitive. Every once in a while we'll get something annoying like weird stares or people asking "if we are dressed up for a theme party or something" which annoys me...

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I walked past a house the other morning, where a load of men were putting up scaffolding. One of the older ones said good morning as I walked by, and then after I'd passed, I heard one of the younger ones say, "That was one of them 50s style pin-ups, wannit?" lol

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
Most of the comments are quite nice, its the People my age that think I dress Like an Old lady!
Yes a Old lady Now!
The odd thing is some People dont know the differece Between the decades!
I mean, I dress 1940's and People say I Look 1920's
Honey, you dont know the 1920's then!
Unless Victory rolls and Roosevelt pins were Big in the 1920's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy