Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

P

Paul

Fleur De Guerre said:
I walked past a house the other morning, where a load of men were putting up scaffolding. One of the older ones said good morning as I walked by, and then after I'd passed, I heard one of the younger ones say, "That was one of them 50s style pin-ups, wannit?" lol

In that context I cannot think of anything better the chap could have said to you.. Fabulous

P

Paul

Miss 1940's said:
Most of the comments are quite nice, its the People my age that think I dress Like an Old lady!
Yes a Old lady Now!
The odd thing is some People dont know the differece Between the decades!
I mean, I dress 1940's and People say I Look 1920's
Honey, you dont know the 1920's then!
Unless Victory rolls and Roosevelt pins were Big in the 1920's?

The thing about the 20's is that it has been portrays wrongly for so long now that most think anythng at knee hight is 20's. It's our job to make sure the decades do say unique.

Smuterella

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
l_273166a9eb28ea3ec3798ac27507bfb8.jpg

my golly, you are absolutely delicious!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The best compliment I've ever gotten while wearing vintage was "wow, that's some walk!". I was walking through a parking lot, going to the grocery and was totally not "feeling it" that day. I wasn't in anything special, just A line skirt, cotton blouse, day 2 of a not so great set. I actually looked around the parking lot to see if he was talking about someone else. When I mentioned it on Twitter, I got so many positive remarks about my walk. I'm pretty sure it's the high heels. Flip-flops are so common here that I think men forget what a good walk looks like,

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
I get more comments now when I don't dress vintage. Everyone has come to expect it so that when I have a day off, eveyone comments!!

LelaViavonie; LOVE the swallows!!

Thank U Sweetness... I decided to get them 3 years ago ina Major turning point in my life... FREEDOM!! LOL

I am just sooo diggin ur pic!!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
hotrodmama0201 said:
I get the Dita comments too and also Bettie Page. I look absolutely nothing like either of them, but what I think is that for alot of people, it's not really that I have the same physical attributes, but more so it's the only way they can really identify with this "style" they aren't sure the name of or understand it's meaning. I also have people say that I look like "the 50's or something" or, "You have that style kind of like, ya know, that chick on the poster making the fist (referring to Rosie the Riveter)"

I work at a clothing store, we sell rockabilly stuff like Lucky 13 and whatnot, vintage and vintage repro, etc.....most of our customers are "like us" so to speak, but every once in a while someone will stumble in, look around completely confused like "wow, what kind of store is this??" I had a girl today tell me I "looked like a pinup girl" haha....I was so scruffy today too, not pinup like at all...hair up in a bandana, an old t-shirt I got at Pearl Harbor years back, skinny jeans and chucks.

Most of the time here in Tucson the comments aren't rude, they are mostly casual observation or inquisitive. Every once in a while we'll get something annoying like weird stares or people asking "if we are dressed up for a theme party or something" which annoys me...

Hot Rod Momma... U sure are one Hot Momma! I can Sooo see why they would say Bettie ... STUNNING!!

Inky

One Too Many
I get a lot of comments about my tattoos, but haven't gotten many about dressing "vintage" except yesterday there were a couple, oddly enough!

One was a lady in the fabric store who said I made her smile and bravo for me taking the time to get dressed up (she was older and I guess she appreciated the effort!). And a waitress at California Pizza Kitchen ran over specifically to say she loved my hair (it was done up like in my avatar) and that it was nice to see someone looking good.

I think people (especially me sometimes) just don't put an effort into dressing up at all and when folks see that now it's very obvious, even when we think we are "casual." I was just wearing a black v-neck t-shirt, and a grey skull bandana print Rock Steady skirt (with black dingle ball fringe - love that!), and some remix black wedgies, and of course full make-up. Hardly vintage but better than daisy dukes and flip flops like most of california had on yesterday.

we're a little "too casual" for my tastes out here but i suppose it is because it's a beach/college town.

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
saturday me and my boyfriend went out, and we got allsorts of comments all day!

we got asked twice if we were getting married, then got told that we looked straight from the 70s! ( even though we were both dressed 40s!) then a gang of local street boys told us we were 'dropping it well!'

:)

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
The other day, a woman at work told me, "You look like a classic movie star, like Grace Kelly or someone. And your skin is perfect!" I smiled nicely and thanked her, made a crack at how the skin came out of a bottle. But inside, I was dancing around and giggling the rest of the day.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I have gotten so many great comments in the past week or so, here is some:

the female bar manager at a fancy restaurent, the reason she stopped and spoke to us, was that we were there with a friend who normally works at the place: Oh my! My daughter would absolutely love you! I don't know if you know her, but she loves Dita von Teese and you look just like her! You look so good. Then when we were going, she said it again and 3 girls working there aswell chimed in - naturally I was over the moon. I do realise I look nothing like Dita what so ever, but it was the dark hair, red lips and outfit I think (I was wearing my Marilyn suit).

Then yesterday out shopping I got compliments in every store I went into! One man was gushing over how he loved that even though it was pouring rain, I was still wearing high heels and stockings instead of something sensible :D (HA, me, sensible - those words doesn't compute!) and that he loved my look. We then started talking and turns out he is going to hold a 'fashion through the decades' show and he would love some more input about the 40s and 50s so of course I offered my help :)

left me smiling all day long :)

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
star struck!

i got an amazing compliment last night!!

i was at the bus stop with 2 older impeccably suited gentlemen, one got up and gave me his seat very graciously, then started talking to me, telling me that he thought my dress was beautiful, and asking me the subject of the print on my dress, then it clicked that it was gilbert and george!!!:)

Lillemor

One Too Many
I NEED to move to Malmø or London! I wish people would either just bear over with me or at least not glare at even the slightest effort to look pulled together.

:eek:fftopic: I'm so overcaffeinated today that I can't type straight so everything needs editing on revision. Sorry if I don't catch all my typos and mind detours.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
artful dodgette said:

i was at the bus stop with 2 older impeccably suited gentlemen, one got up and gave me his seat very graciously, then started talking to me, telling me that he thought my dress was beautiful, and asking me the subject of the print on my dress, then it clicked that it was gilbert and george!!!:)

Gilbert and George! How cool!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
artful dodgette said:

Yeah, you know, that is just awesome! :cool:

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
artful dodgette said:

That's so cool! They use buses lol surely they're rich enough for chauffeurs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy