Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
Could it be that younger men are a bit intimidated by a well dressed, well groomed woman? I was surprised once by a study that suggested that men much preferred women with their hair long and loose rather than styled up. They didn't like too much hairspray, either. What they wanted was something they felt they could touch. Perhaps when men see a woman very stylishly turned out they feel she's unnapproachable - that they can't talk to her, let alone touch her?

There might also be an element of "who does she think she is/she'd think she was too good for me" (or, in its more benign form, "oh, she's out of my reach!"). When I worked with my best friend in the same office, she was the most incredibly stylish woman around. Not vintage, but *always* in a beautiful suit with stockings, perfect makeup, high heels, and very sculptured hair. She was whip thin and had a very clever, alert expression. People who later fell under her spell when they actually spoke to her and found what out a lovely woman she was would sometimes confide to me how very much they were intimidated by her - my sister, who now regards her as our "other sister", admitted to me in the early days how much my friend/colleague had scared her.

I'm twenty-one. I will vouch for a preference for long, touchable hair. A well-dressed woman would be an oddity around here. When someone appears strange, even in a good way, I suppose they do become less approachable.

R

Red_Lipstick

I also get more comments from older men (nice comments, though!) and I think that Mojito is right: young men/boys seem to be a bit intimidated when they see a girl wearing a dress or an elegant skirt, heels, nice hair and make up, etc. but it also depends on where you live: when I lived in London young men would smile at me when I was all dressed up in vintage clothes and my boyfriend, who is English, never seems to think I'm too dressed up or something like that (and he's a skinny jeans/indie kind of guy).

About mothers in law, I'm really lucky: my mother in law was a 60's girl, but she loves the fact that I dress in a 50's style and buys me inexpensive clothes and complements! :)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Red_Lipstick said:
I also get more comments from older men (nice comments, though!) and I think that Mojito is right: young men/boys seem to be a bit intimidated when they see a girl wearing a dress or an elegant skirt, heels, nice hair and make up, etc. but it also depends on where you live: when I lived in London young men would smile at me when I was all dressed up in vintage clothes and my boyfriend, who is English, never seems to think I'm too dressed up or something like that (and he's a skinny jeans/indie kind of guy).

About mothers in law, I'm really lucky: my mother in law was a 60's girl, but she loves the fact that I dress in a 50's style and buys me inexpensive clothes and complements! :)

Red Lipstick.. I agree!
The older men will tell u how classy or beautiful u look! Its too cute when they start to think back in the day!

Here in Cali.. There are soooo many different looking people that we all kind of Blend.. but then again.. Bright red Lipstick and Fine Styled hair truly stands out.

mackenzie

Familiar Face
This is maybe a little of topic but here goes. One time when I was in a thrift store in my home town I found 4 pairs of silkstockings in the original package that I bought. When I went to pay the owner of the store (in his 80's) grined at me and sighed, ohh- those were the times when I got to stroke a pair of legs in real stockings, there is nothing quiet like it. he ended with telling my boyfriend that he was a lucky man and wished us goodday. He made my day, that gentleman.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
mackenzie said:
This is maybe a little of topic but here goes. One time when I was in a thrift store in my home town I found 4 pairs of silkstockings in the original package that I bought. When I went to pay the owner of the store (in his 80's) grined at me and sighed, ohh- those were the times when I got to stroke a pair of legs in real stockings, there is nothing quiet like it. he ended with telling my boyfriend that he was a lucky man and wished us goodday. He made my day, that gentleman.

NOW That is a great comment!

Your boyfriend is a lucky man!! :p :p

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Grease Lightnin'

Today wearing matching black beaded cardigan, pleated skirt, lacquer belt, ribbon in my hair, and white cat-eyes I passed a teenage gang. One of the brave (or obnoxious, depending on your view) boys said "Excuse me" loudly in a thick southern drawl and proceeded to tell me I looked like the teacher in Grease. I replied: The teacher, I would have hoped to resemble one of the young, good-looking characters. The kids were all excited to speak to me, usually people their age don't dare to (thank god). The kid was friendly enough so I smiled and said Grease was a good movie anyway. They all laughed and agreed a little too much. Then as I started leaving a couple of the guys sang Grease Lightnin'! They sang loud and quite well I must say. Oh well, at least I make people sing. Maybe I can turn Malmö into a musical one day...
I could probably walk the streets naked and all they'd see would be those glasses.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
well Vintage Raven and I caught a professional photographers eye yesterday and we are now booked for portrait and possibly pinup pictures thursday .. I'll take that as a huge compliment!

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
A health hazard to the elderly.

I dress with a vintage edge most days, and even if it isn't vintage it is always polished. ( I post lots of pictures of my outfits on my blog). However, living in the suburbs and having two children in tow puts quite a different spin on it. Most other mothers just stare at me from the corner of their eye, never approaching or even willing to have a conversation. I've been told my look is intimidating by a very honest friend. Even at the children's birthday parties, no one ever seems to want to start a conversation with me. It's a good thing I am a very outgoing Leo who could talk to a lamppost in an emergency! So from my peers, never a compliment.

But I am often stopped in stores or at the petrol station and asked which fancy restaurant I must be headed to for dinner. When I tell them I am only on my way to pick up my daughter from kinder, they are either impressed or think I am a little mad.
When it comes to heading out in the city though, I am constantly stopped and complimented. I've been asked for my autograph several times (?) and photographed for lots of newspapers and magazines (very flattering).
But by far the best compliment I ever received was at the opening of the Art Deco event at our National Gallery. I was wandering around when a very elderly gentleman started walking over to me. I though he was ill or having a heart attack as he looked very confused and almost in pain. When he reached me, he smiled and said with tears spilling over, " I saw you and my heart stood still. I thought I was suddenly 21 again and meeting my wife for the first time." He shook my hand and introduced himself as the benefactor of the exhibition, apologised for his tears, and left smiling. Wow...

R

Red_Lipstick

SuperKawaiiMama, that's anecdote is so sweet!

I also get people asking me if I'm going to a wedding (!), fancy restaurant, etc. But that's because the town where I live now is pretty... well, women have no style here, let's be clear :p

I can't wait to go back to London- and I'm Spanish :p

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I tend to get the standard smiles and dirty looks while dressed vintage. However, I did have a downright unpleasant experience while not dressed in my vintage wear.
I live down the street from one of my favorite vintage shops. It's the one I can rarely afford but covet the entire store stock. So, about a month ago, I had a pocket full of paycheck cash, an itching to shop but no time to stop home and redress myself. I had just gotten off of work (food service) so I was in jeans and my greasy work shirt. Hardly a vision of yesteryear beauty. :eek:
So, I arrive and being to shop. And I notice the store owner looking my way. I continue. And now she's walked over to me. I figure she's just checking in to see if I need any help. Oh no. She stops in front of me and says " These are expensive clothes. We don't appreciate lookie-loos."
I still can't believe she actually said that. Just because I wasn't dressed to kill means I have no intention to buy and am just there to ogle the merchandise?

I didn't relpy. I just walked away and kept looking. Luckily for me, I was able to be rung up by the shop girl (who is very nice). I admit I felt quite smug when Mrs. Doesn't Appreciate Lookie-Loos came over and saw the $350 rung up on the register. I think that kind of knocked her on her butt.

So, I suppose the negative attitude towards vintage has a reverse side. Sometimes you can develop a stigma about non-vintage folks. It just proves you can't judge a book (or a customer) by it's cover.

AudreyH

Familiar Face
Everyone comments were ever I go. lol I went to a blockbuster the other day. I was wearing a pretty dress I had just got and every older woman came up and said I looked nice people kept saying so where are you heading after this. I would just reply home. Then they would look shocked and say where were you then..I reply starbucks. lol They looked at me and said you have very fancy clothing style. I have people at starbucks come up and say I look like Audrey Hepburn. I don't know them obviously. Then this little vintage shop owner calls me Audrey. lol Being the only girl in my town who's willing to cut their hair and wear a dress... I get attention.

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Odalisque said:
I tend to get the standard smiles and dirty looks while dressed vintage. However, I did have a downright unpleasant experience while not dressed in my vintage wear.
I live down the street from one of my favorite vintage shops. It's the one I can rarely afford but covet the entire store stock. So, about a month ago, I had a pocket full of paycheck cash, an itching to shop but no time to stop home and redress myself. I had just gotten off of work (food service) so I was in jeans and my greasy work shirt. Hardly a vision of yesteryear beauty. :eek:
So, I arrive and being to shop. And I notice the store owner looking my way. I continue. And now she's walked over to me. I figure she's just checking in to see if I need any help. Oh no. She stops in front of me and says " These are expensive clothes. We don't appreciate lookie-loos."
I still can't believe she actually said that. Just because I wasn't dressed to kill means I have no intention to buy and am just there to ogle the merchandise?

I didn't relpy. I just walked away and kept looking. Luckily for me, I was able to be rung up by the shop girl (who is very nice). I admit I felt quite smug when Mrs. Doesn't Appreciate Lookie-Loos came over and saw the $350 rung up on the register. I think that kind of knocked her on her butt.

So, I suppose the negative attitude towards vintage has a reverse side. Sometimes you can develop a stigma about non-vintage folks. It just proves you can't judge a book (or a customer) by it's cover.

Ah vindication! You must have felt quite smug during that moment. Good on you for continuing to do things your way and not be scared out of the shop. I often get some very odd reactions when I'm out shopping with my children in tow. I get asked things like, "And who are you buying for today?" As if to say, "Sorry, but we don't let MOTHERS wear our clothes." but of course, "frankly my dear I don't give a damn."

Odalisque

A-List Customer
SuperKawaiiMama said:
I often get some very odd reactions when I'm out shopping with my children in tow. I get asked things like, "And who are you buying for today?" As if to say, "Sorry, but we don't let MOTHERS wear our clothes." but of course, "frankly my dear I don't give a damn."

That's so funny seeing as how it was our mothers and grandmothers who wore these clothes in the first place.
I guess some people just enjoy being snotty. [huh]

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Odalisque said:

Wish you could come shop at the vintage store I work at here in Phoenix. We never judge, even if someone is obviously not into what we are all about. We NEVER stereotype people, and treat everyone equally. I am shocked, but not surprised, that a business owner would treat a customer like that! I am so sorry that you had such a weird experience.

And how in the hell are you supposed to buy something if you don't peruse the selection first? We love our "lookie-loos". Sometimes they come back to buy because they were treated well!!! [huh]

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
I dress for myself, vintage is a life style choice

SuperKawaiiMama said:
I dress with a vintage edge most days, and even if it isn't vintage it is always polished. ( I post lots of pictures of my outfits on my blog). However, living in the suburbs and having two children in tow puts quite a different spin on it. Most other mothers just stare at me from the corner of their eye, never approaching or even willing to have a conversation. I've been told my look is intimidating by a very honest friend. Even at the children's birthday parties, no one ever seems to want to start a conversation with me. It's a good thing I am a very outgoing Leo who could talk to a lamppost in an emergency! So from my peers, never a compliment.

But I am often stopped in stores or at the petrol station and asked which fancy restaurant I must be headed to for dinner. When I tell them I am only on my way to pick up my daughter from kinder, they are either impressed or think I am a little mad.
When it comes to heading out in the city though, I am constantly stopped and complimented. I've been asked for my autograph several times (?) and photographed for lots of newspapers and magazines (very flattering).
But by far the best compliment I ever received was at the opening of the Art Deco event at our National Gallery. I was wandering around when a very elderly gentleman started walking over to me. I though he was ill or having a heart attack as he looked very confused and almost in pain. When he reached me, he smiled and said with tears spilling over, " I saw you and my heart stood still. I thought I was suddenly 21 again and meeting my wife for the first time." He shook my hand and introduced himself as the benefactor of the exhibition, apologised for his tears, and left smiling. Wow...

I dress for myself. I prefer to dress vintage. I tell people, if they are rude enough to ask, that dressing vintage is a lifestyle choice. Where I come from people choose to dress vintage. Generally the comments are nice ones from old men and the homeless seem to particulalry appreciate it! I had one say "didn't I meet you in a former life at the Cotton Club?" I dress even if I am going for a walk in my neighborhood or Home Depot.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
RedHotRidinHood said:
Wish you could come shop at the vintage store I work at here in Phoenix. We never judge, even if someone is obviously not into what we are all about. We NEVER stereotype people, and treat everyone equally. I am shocked, but not surprised, that a business owner would treat a customer like that! I am so sorry that you had such a weird experience.

And how in the hell are you supposed to buy something if you don't peruse the selection first? We love our "lookie-loos". Sometimes they come back to buy because they were treated well!!! [huh]

I do think she was in the minority. It was the only time I've experienced that so i guess I'm ahead of the game.

I would love to visit your vintage shop. When the millions are made, I'll do a vintage shop world tour. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR