Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Valya

New in Town
:eek:fftopic: Hi, I'm new here! This is my first post.:eek:fftopic:

The only comment I've ever recieved is from the fabric store lady: "Going back in time again, are we? My mother used to wear clothes like that." I just smiled. I'm going to take that as a compliment, I think.:)

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Hehehe Spiffy, she did say a *classy* Amy Winehouse!

It was a chill spring day yesterday, and I was in skirt-and-heels, a buttercup yellow thrifted London Fog trench and a straw hat - My neighbors love the hats - and taking my dog to the curb when I got home from work (3rd shift, so it was mid-morning)

Woman walking by says "Yeah, and that's just what she wears to walk the dog?"

She didn't mean it as a compliment, but I took it as one! Heck yes, ma'am, it is what I'm wearing to walk the dog!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
SugarKitten said:
Hehehe Spiffy, she did say a *classy* Amy Winehouse!

It was a chill spring day yesterday, and I was in skirt-and-heels, a buttercup yellow thrifted London Fog trench and a straw hat - My neighbors love the hats - and taking my dog to the curb when I got home from work (3rd shift, so it was mid-morning)

Woman walking by says "Yeah, and that's just what she wears to walk the dog?"

She didn't mean it as a compliment, but I took it as one! Heck yes, ma'am, it is what I'm wearing to walk the dog!

Bahahahaha! It cracks me up when people snub their noses at those who take pride in their appearance. Makes me want to saw, "Oh wow, look at YOU! In those jogging pants, and that t-shirt with the holes in the armpits. How do you do it!?"

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I went to a vintage fair here in Dublin this afternoon and wore vintage for the first time since having my little girl - (a navy 50's silk dress, navy satin shoes, pearl earrings, necklace, Elsa Schiaparelli pearl bracelet and a navy Dofan clutch - it felt so great to be able to wear it all!!!!!) - I was at one of the stalls having a look through some dresses and the lady who ran the stall told me how much she loved my dress and said that it was like something Grace Kelly would wear. Grace is one of my style icons (and why I gave my little girl the middle name Grace ;) ). I got a few other compliments from other ladies at the fair - it really made my day! :)

Lenore

Practically Family
MarieAnne said:
Bahahahaha! It cracks me up when people snub their noses at those who take pride in their appearance. Makes me want to saw, "Oh wow, look at YOU! In those jogging pants, and that t-shirt with the holes in the armpits. How do you do it!?"

I HAVE said that on one of my more snarky days. I'll attribute it to PMS, lack of sleep, lack of chocolate, or not taking my zoloft, but darn it, it felt good to snip back at that lady. The answering flush on her face was worth it. The next time I saw her, she was a little more put together. lol

Lenore

Practically Family
Miss Golightly said:
I went to a vintage fair here in Dublin this afternoon and wore vintage for the first time since having my little girl

I hope you took pictures! That's a great feeling to get back to "yourself" after having a kid. It took me forever it seems.

:eek:fftopic: I want to go back to Dublin...*sniffs*

Brooksie

One Too Many
Brooksie said:
Lady at my work (her name is Laura) part two...

I ran into Laura again the other day - the one that commented on my 40's style. She said she loved my skirt and coat (both were from the 40's) I thanked her and sat down at the table next to hers with my friends. I over heard her talking to a co-worker sitting at her table. She said that I wear vintage everyday and that I usually have a 1940's look going on with hair and everything. She proceeded to tell the co-worker that she used to wear vintage clothes everyday too when she lived in L.A. The co-worker asked her why she stopped and she said it was because she started to feel like she was looking like "the little old lady" and all she needed was the shopping cart. :eek: :eek: :( lol. I just pretended not to hear that comment because I do not think I look like a little old lady with or with out the shopping cart!

B

The lady at my work "Laura" part 3... the saga continues.

Laura at work came up to me, now this has been a few weeks ago and said to me I have a gift for you - will you be in tomorrow? I said yes.

She comes in the next day with a parcel wrapped in purple tissue paper. She says open it, open it! I unwrapped a 1940's brown snake skin purse in perfect condition which used to belong to her aunt. Wow, it was an unexpected surprice and a most wonderful gift. It will go perfectly with my thin 1940's brown snake skin belt and my repro 1940's brown leather/aligator peeptoe pumps.

Brooksie

December

One of the Regulars
Wow, Brooksie! How generous!! Do you have a photo of it?

One of my best friends is called Laura and she's just bought me a gorgeous vintage typewriter- must be something to do with the name!!

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne said:

yes, I get a lot of frumpy people that give me mean stares...I never go out looking like a train ran me over, I don't even own a pair of sweatpants! But it seems that the worst dressed people are the ones with meanest comments.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Brooksie said:
The lady at my work "Laura" part 3... the saga continues.

Laura at work came up to me, now this has been a few weeks ago and said to me I have a gift for you - will you be in tomorrow? I said yes.

She comes in the next day with a parcel wrapped in purple tissue paper. She says open it, open it! I unwrapped a 1940's brown snake skin purse in perfect condition which used to belong to her aunt. Wow, it was an unexpected surprice and a most wonderful gift. It will go perfectly with my thin 1940's brown snake skin belt and my repro 1940's brown leather/aligator peeptoe pumps.

Brooksie

Congrats on the purse, it sounds wonderful! Don't you love it when wearing vintage results in presents? ;)

Brooksie

One Too Many
Yes, it is great to get vintage gifts from wearing vintage, I have had it happen a few other times also (one of my very best work mates, Annie, gave me a lovely three strand pearl necklace from the 50's that used to belong to her mother in law - she gave it to me because of course I wear vintage and also because she says she just does not have anything to wear them with). People see you in vintage and they just know it will go to a great home. Unfortunatly I do not have any pics of the purse (I do not own a camera) but it is a really neat shape that I have not really seen before.

B

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Brooksie how sweet and generous of Laura to give you such a gift! It warms me to know people can still be kind and thoughful. I had a similar experience in high school... one of my teachers gave me 2 (!!) mink jackets that had belonged to her husband's great aunt in the 30s. I was shocked and am still incredibly grateful to her.

Lenore what a fantastic compliment that girl gave you! I think a comment like that might make my year :) You must look amazing on a daily basis, and boy am I envious :)

Brooksie

One Too Many
Gracie Lee said:
Brooksie how sweet and generous of Laura to give you such a gift! It warms me to know people can still be kind and thoughful. I had a similar experience in high school... one of my teachers gave me 2 (!!) mink jackets that had belonged to her husband's great aunt in the 30s. I was shocked and am still incredibly grateful to her.

Lenore what a fantastic compliment that girl gave you! I think a comment like that might make my year :) You must look amazing on a daily basis, and boy am I envious :)

I love to hear the "good" stories related to wearing vintage!

B

Lenore

Practically Family
Gracie Lee said:

I certainly try to do my best daily, which is hard with a toddler. Obviously some days are better than others. It just makes me feel all fuzzy when I hear something like that out of the blue. I still am all smiles and blushes about it. :eek:

mentha

Familiar Face
Last Saturday I was out shopping with my mom and as I was going to go out to dinner and clubbing with friends afterwards, I'd already dressed up nicely and felt REALLY good about myself (which I could really use, due to a recent breakup with my bf of over 4,5 years). I was wearing this dress, with cute purple shoes (not to high a heel), my hair freshly colored and maintained with a touch of curling iron and a flower to the side and of course eyeliner and bright red lippy.
In one of the shops (that sells the more 'alternative' clothes) one of the ladies walked up to me and said "What a beautiful lady! Very stylish!" and that already made my day :)
And in the evening I got several men coming up to me saying I looked amazing, one actually said "Damn! You look HOT!" and I was feeling on top of the world :) Too bad the guys themselves weren't as yummy ;)

Yeah, my new ex doesn't know what he's letting go! Loser! ;)
It has inspired me to dress and do hair nicely on a more daily basis, cuz it's very good on the ego ;) [angel]

Mary

Practically Family
I've got some amusing comments lately. One 2 weeks before easter when wearing rasberrypink coat and a scarf over my hair. Oh an easterwitch was the remark, but the funny thing was the girl who called out. She look very much like a witch too, a halloween witch with black flat hair.:eusa_doh:

I also had a young boy complimenting me on the subway home. He first said he hadn't seen such pants (widelegged) on a woman. ( don't you just love naivety.) Then he said he liked that I wasn't like all the other Greta Garbowannabies, which he meant as a compliment. Don't know for sure what to think, but it melted my heart. :eek:

HannahJane

Familiar Face
I'm still pretty new to dressing in a vintage style so my family are trying to get used it which is quite entertaining.

My mother loves the look and can't be nice enough about it (she has hated some of my previous style choices!) My Granny told me that I reminded her of Honeysuckle Weeks in Foyle's War. I love that programme so I was pretty happy with that comment!

My brother, on the other hand, doesn't seem quite so impressed. First time he saw me all done up he told me I looked like an evacuees mother and then spent a good few minutes laughing at me :(
I think he's getting used to it now though because he doesn't laugh at me so much and his last comment was about how I looked like I had come from the past and "Did I know it wasn't 1945 anymore?" I probably took this as more of a compliment than he intended it to be. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails