Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Hi Hannah, I'm in Sheffield too! I'm teaching at King Edward's, where the kids are pretty cool and not at all shocked by vintage dress. I was told last week by a student: "the look suits you Miss, you've got one of those really big old-fashioned mouths". Erm... thanks?

HannahJane

Familiar Face
Kate O Potato said:
Hi Hannah, I'm in Sheffield too! I'm teaching at King Edward's, where the kids are pretty cool and not at all shocked by vintage dress. I was told last week by a student: "the look suits you Miss, you've got one of those really big old-fashioned mouths". Erm... thanks?

lol That's certainly an interesting comment, I didn't know having a big mouth was old fashioned!
I'm still at university and tend to get a lot of odd looks and whispers when I go down to the union, people seem genuinely shocked (and sometimes horrified) that a student might want to look nice.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I'm at the university too; I'm doing a PGCE. I'll keep an eye out for you in future, there aren't too many stylish ladies that frequent the union, so I'm sure you'll be hard to miss!

mentha

Familiar Face
BoPeep said:
I LOVE that dress Mentha! I've been eyeing it up for some time now but an not sure my curves can pull it off. Can we say foundation garments? lol

Do it!!! It's so wonderfully comfortable and figure-hugging! I know for a fact the dress suits a curvy figure perfectly!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
mentha said:
Do it!!! It's so wonderfully comfortable and figure-hugging! I know for a fact the dress suits a curvy figure perfectly!

I have the same dress and I love it! Very tempted to buy it in the chocolate colour that's now available......

D

Deleted member 12480

yesterday i was in the city centre and a group of 'scruffy' lads with skateboards and eyeliner smeared girl shouted '21st century' at me?

i just chuckled. lol

also i was in the canteen on friday buying my lunch and the woman at the till asked me 'are you doing drama' and it felt great to say 'no this is how i always dress' :)

i also seem to get lots of sidelong glances from frumpy looking women. almost a look of distaste?

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Vintage but doesn't know it.

Here's kind of a reverse of this thread. One the waitresses at the diner where we have lunch often is about 40ish but actually looks younger. Over time I've gotten to now her a bit. Her hairstyle has changed a little over time. Recently she has a curly redish-blonde bob the is right out of the 1920's. I mentioned that it looked good on her but when I told her it was a '20's style she took it as a compliment but she really had no idea that it was a vintage style. I told hold her that with her slender shape she could look great is '20's outfits. Again she took it as a compliment and thanked me but I doubt she put any thought to it. Who know's if we plant any seeds but it's fun especially when it's taken well.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I was out shopping on Saturday wearing my new wonderful yellow and brown checked 40's suit, and the works make up and hair wise, and spent the whole afternoon with tourists pointing at me and shouting "Lady Gaga"

and I definitely did remember to wear my skirt.

lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Last week at work several of my coworkers were talking about the current fiction books they are reading. One lady apparently had a book that was set in the 1940s, and had a woman in a 1940s outfit with a hat and gloves on the cover. I heard two of my other coworkers exclaim, "Oh, that looks like Pam in her retro clothes!" and they came running into my office with the book to show me. I don't dress vintage every day, maybe 1-2 days per week, and even then I don't usually set my hair or do a red lip.

LizzieMaine said:
Today at the bank, with no makeup and my hair up in a rag, somebody asked me if I was "an old Pentecostal lady."

lol Maybe they meant Seventh Day Adventist? They have a large presence in this area, and the ladies often wear long skirts and have *the* most elaborate hairstyles you've ever seen. They could definitely give some of the FL ladies a run for their money!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, today, my doctor told me I looked like Dorothy from Wizard of Oz. No ruby slippers, no gingham dress, no white blouse, where did she get Dorothy? I wore a teal blue with cherries dress, black cardi and shoes and pink, not red lips.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I know this post is old (from December, okay), but I have to comment on this:

Hamilton_Honey said:
I'm 42 now, and I've been surviving both positive and negative for a while now and trust me it will all shake out. :)

Are you kidding me? I see your pictures in the "what are you wearing thread" and I honestly assumed you were probably in your late 20s.

I am generally pretty good at guessing ages, and I have to admit that I did a double-take (double-read?) when I saw your post saying you were 42. You look awesome!

Oh and btw I love your style!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I work at a cancer research center and support two medical directors and feel as I'm their representative, it's my job to dress nicely in a place where shorts, Birkinstocks and tee shirts abound. Tim Gunn would be appalled at the slobification of my work place.

I'm not wearing vintage yet, as I'm making clothes from period patterns. I have a basic classic separates wardrobe, in black, brown and navy with scarves and tasteful jewelry for accent. Very simple every day make up routine that hasn't changed. Since I began my Great Middy Pin Curl Experiment, started a couple weeks ago, I am getting a lot of 'dressed up' comments.

My favorite comment was last week - it was day 1 after a wet set, where my hair was so out of control and out of character for me, that I felt very self-conscious and wore a beret all day. One of my faculty said I looked like a film director.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
I was out shopping on Saturday wearing my new wonderful yellow and brown checked 40's suit, and the works make up and hair wise, and spent the whole afternoon with tourists pointing at me and shouting "Lady Gaga"

and I definitely did remember to wear my skirt.

lol

what is it about lady gag i keep getting that as well and im not even blonde. *silly*

Paper Moon

New in Town
Well poo.. My first time out in Vintage wasn't as fun as I expected. I had on a really classic black dress with simple pearls, reverse rolls and a couple of small cute flowers in my hair, and some snappy red t-strap shoes.

I had a baby shower in the morning which went well actually - I had gotten some looks and overheard someone whisper about how "awesome" my hair looked. That gave me the confidence to continue my day in the same outfit, though I was afraid. I went to the mall anyway though, and while there a bunch of younger girls walked by me, bumped directly INTO me, and giggled while one proceeded to nearly shout "Look at that fatass, thinkin she "all that", I didn't know shit like that still existed!" :confused:

I didn't do anything but walk by as upright as possible, but after they were well away, I'm SURE my face went red, and I just left asap. I know around my small town area this kind of stuff is probably never seen, but really, the fat comment too??? They were only slightly smaller than myself. :mad:

SayCici

Practically Family
Paper Moon, don't let their comments get to you. :( When people get that nasty it's because your appearance makes THEM feel insecure, so they try to belittle you and make you feel the same way. You must have been looking very beautiful to rile them up like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails