Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Octavia

Familiar Face
That's appalling. While I've had my fair share of dirty looks, comments, and clear gossip behind my back at work (you'd think they would've grown out of that by now), I've never experienced anything like that. What's baffling is that it's pretty clear it's all from the same person, despite the fact that they claim otherwise, and it's quite obviously sheer jealousy. Such intense jealousy that they went to that ridiculous length to try to make you feel bad. I hope they realize how bad they made themselves look. I'd be downright embarassed if I were them. You handled that with class and grace. Also want to mention I took a peek at your blog and you are stunning! The look suits you so well - it's effortless.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Annie - just read everything there on your link...oh my god they are pathetic! I can't believe anyone would bother going to the trouble just to give that much abuse. But then unfortunately most people are narrowminded when it comes to things that they don't understand...just remember that you will get alot further than them in life and be alot happier because you are being the person you want to be and not conforming to a stereotype :eusa_clap

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have just read all that vitriol on your link Annie, and well, a whopping great case of ignorance and sour grapes on their part, i think.

I think you are a lovely, vivacious, bright girl x :)

Magpye

New in Town
Thanks everyone for the kind words, you're all so supportive on here - it's a welcome change from everyday life! :D Of course you are all right and I should just wear what makes me happy. I'm not entirely sure what has come over me as when I was younger I was a 'goth' type and never bothered a jot what others said about me but nowadays I find myself getting so nervy about it all that I've resorted to becoming one of the leggings and denim mini skirt brigade to avoid any comments! :eek:

My vintage-wearing friend and I are going shopping on Saturday though so if I find any nice vintage/vintage inspired items, perhaps I shall take the plunge and wear them to college next week!

Those comments are atrocious :mad: I always find people can become a bit catty when they get behind a computer monitor but those comments are just out and out bullying!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Oh Annie... what a sad, bitter individual that person must be. My assessment (Ha! I sound so clinical): This person is suffering severe self-hate. They see you as someone who is bright, upbeat, and original. They see themselves as shallow, narrowminded, and boring. They can't help but compare themselves to you and come up lacking.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Gosh Annie, that's terrible..what drivel from an obvious idiot! You handled it with grace and style. It sadly reminds me of my high school days..and boy am I glad those are over. It's obvious this person is jealous of you, and soon you may have a copy-cat on your hands! In my experience, the ones that were abusive/made fun the loudest, ending up copying my look from head to toe. Boy people are strange...

Fleur was right, if you're getting under people's skin so much, you are doing something right! *lol*

X
BD

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 12480

Hehe, thanks for all the support ladies - some people are pathetic! xx

annet

One of the Regulars
annie, i took a look at your blog and it seems that you are a strong individual who refuses to do what others expect from her - and some people can't stand that. i really think this is just jealousy! you seem like an amazing person, so don't let anyone get you down. i wish i had been as brave at your age ;)

HannahJane

Familiar Face
Annie Pancake you should ignore those people, they are not worth your time! I'm honestly a little be jealous of you because you always look so well put together and are so pretty. I wish I was confident enough to dress in vintage at your age! Keep your chin up, dear.

annet

One of the Regulars
today, my little brother when he saw the pants i made, worn with my saddle shoes:

"hold on... you got another pair of ugly pants? and you wear them with ugly shoes? AND BRIGHT RED STRIPEY SOCKS??"

(the only other pair of high-waisted pants i own are the sailor pants. he seems to prefer muffin tops and buttcracks)

lareine

A-List Customer
They see you victory-rollin', they hatin'.

Wow, Annie, that abuse is shocking but you are handling it wonderfully! Don't let 'em grind you down.

Valya

New in Town
OneAndOnly said:
And to be fair alot of younger 'ladies' find that pyjama bottoms, uggs, ridiculously back-combed hair and orange faces make them look older and better (at least from around my town anyway), in other words why worry about what someone else is saying if they have a different attitude to appearance!

This makes me laugh because these girls (so many of them at my school) dress that way to try and look older, but you can always tell they are in high school because only girls that age dress like that (from what I've seen, at least). I don't even dress full-out vintage, just red lipstick and the occasional piece, and people always mistake me for at least 18, they try to sell me stuff in stores, and everyone is shocked to learn I'm only 15. I'm not tall, either. It always makes me laugh.:p

MikeBravo

One Too Many
You may not have thought you were better than them before.

After reading those posts, you can be sure that actually you are better than them!

It's not easy being an individual, just hang in there

Lottie

Familiar Face
lareine said:
They see you victory-rollin', they hatin'.
Haha, that just made my morning :D

Valya: I noticed that, too! When I was 15 and dressed in vitage-ish clothing, people of my own age used the much more formal "Sie" rather than the colloquial (and age-appropriate) "du" to address me :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24