Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My husband just laughs and says there isn't day that goes by without someone approaching me about my clothes.

That's always positive, it shows you have marvellous taste! :)

I mostly get comments about my hair. I find that people will blatantly stare at me as I walk by (long, head turning kind of stare) but it happens so often that I don't notice anymore. My boyfriend does, and he's always laughing at the looks people give me. Guess people can't believe it if you have something too different!

Louise Anne

Suspended
That's always positive, it shows you have marvellous taste! :)

My boyfriend does, and he's always laughing at the looks people give me. Guess people can't believe it if you have something too different!
When you B/F noitces this you should get him to say in a nice loud voice " there's another one who admiring your style"

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
I usually do 20s outfits and here in LA people really love it. There is one place I go, which is an amazing 1920s hotel, to write in the lobby. I get "Oh, wow... I thought you were a ghost" a lot there. I tend to probably over explain when I get complimented. I love to tell them about the era of clothing I am wearing, etc...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I usually do 20s outfits and here in LA people really love it. There is one place I go, which is an amazing 1920s hotel, to write in the lobby. I get "Oh, wow... I thought you were a ghost" a lot there. I tend to probably over explain when I get complimented. I love to tell them about the era of clothing I am wearing, etc...

Wow, thats amazing! If I ever ran into you, I'd listen to you over explain for hours! :D

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
Wow, thats amazing! If I ever ran into you, I'd listen to you over explain for hours! :D

Some people really love it, for sure. I've had a couple of people ask if I have ever wanted to do styling or costuming, but I really have never pondered it. I do make a lot of historical clothes, but always for fun :D

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
This weekend I was in Vegas and I never received so many compliments in my whole life. Why? Because I seemed to be the only well-dressed man in Vegas. Lots and lots of beautiful women dressing up. And what do their male counterparts do? Dressing down. Don a clean t-shirt, at the most. Wearing shorts and flip-flops. And here I come, wearing nothing special. A thrifted mid-sixties cream linen and wool jacket with navy and red stripes, grey blue linen trousers in a 30s cut, 50s sports shirt with a neckerchief and blue suede shoes. Casual stuff, nothing very sophisticated. And I really stood out from the crowd. Home in Berlin nobody would notice me wearing an outfit like that, but in Vegas I got lots of compliments every day. At the buffet one lady told me I was the best dressed man she had seen in days. When strolling along the strip yesterday morning this beautiful black lady stopped dead in her track, told me she loved my style, invited me for coffee and then tried to pick me up. And, no, she wasn't a hooker, just a stripper on her way home from work looking for some fun.

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and was stopped by a lady dressed well, nice skirt, blouse, and heels. Her hair was done very fifties. She came up to me and said, "I just wanted to tell you, it's so nice to see a man dressed like a man, in real clothes and real shoes. I always see men in sloppy clothes and sloppier tennis shoes. I'm from Chicago and expect more from men than that." She made my day lol

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was at Wal-Mart the other day and was stopped by a lady dressed well, nice skirt, blouse, and heels. Her hair was done very fifties. She came up to me and said, "I just wanted to tell you, it's so nice to see a man dressed like a man, in real clothes and real shoes. I always see men in sloppy clothes and sloppier tennis shoes. I'm from Chicago and expect more from men than that." She made my day lol

I'd have to agree with her. It IS always nicer to see a sharp-dressed man, man a "slacker-who-only-brush-and-flush". ANY DAY! ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Today I'm wearing Remix black espadrilles with a black & white vintage-inspired Target shirtdress and a 40s black/white bakelite necklace. I went for a haircut and on my way out, several girls behind the salon counter told me how much they loved my outfit because it was "so Mad Men."

Last edited:

Marla

A-List Customer
I wore all modern, non-vintage style clothes today to go incognito to a flea market. I have a theory that I get better deals looking like a run-of-the-mill plain Jane. Every time I passed a mirror I winced, so I figured I had succeeded in my little charade. Then one of the sellers commented that I looked like Rosie the Riveter. :eusa_doh:

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I wore all modern, non-vintage style clothes today to go incognito to a flea market. I have a theory that I get better deals looking like a run-of-the-mill plain Jane. Every time I passed a mirror I winced, so I figured I had succeeded in my little charade. Then one of the sellers commented that I looked like Rosie the Riveter. :eusa_doh:

You can take the gal out of the vintage, but you can't take the vintage out of the gal. :)

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today I'm wearing Remix black espadrilles with a black & white vintage-inspired Target shirtdress and a 40s black/white bakelite necklace. I went for a haircut and on my way out, several girls behind the salon counter told me how much they loved my outfit because it was "so Mad Men."

That's a nice comment. :)

I, yet again, got somewhat disturbing comment (or it should be.. if I understood it). A kid (very drunk, last night) told me "Aren't we into reading?"
Sorry, WHAT?! :confused:
My appearance somehow gave him the "Likes-to-read" vibe.. but I still have problem understanding: is that supposed to be an insult? 'Cause.. to me it isn't. I DO love to read.. [huh]

Miss sofia

One Too Many

Great minds think alike! I do that when i am shopping at fairs and flea markets too.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab

Even when I'm wearing jeans, a girl-cut Tee, and all my tattoos are out in full glory I *still* get people telling me I remind them of "the 50s" or "ladies during the war", or as my friend once said to me, "Even when you're dressed normal you still look like you're from the 30s." lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Even when I'm wearing jeans, a girl-cut Tee, and all my tattoos are out in full glory I *still* get people telling me I remind them of "the 50s" or "ladies during the war", or as my friend once said to me, "Even when you're dressed normal you still look like you're from the 30s." lol

I get that too, tattoos and all! I think it's the pompadour and eyeliner :rolleyes:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I get that too, tattoos and all! I think it's the pompadour and eyeliner :rolleyes:

I wear cat's eyes glasses. Maybe that does it. lol No matter what we do we can't un-exude our vintageness. We might think we can do it, but we can't. lol

I wear all manner of clothing from the jeans and t's to handmade 1930s dresses. All kinds of hairstyles from my straight bob-and-bangs to a fingerwave to victory rolls. All mix and match. And even in my most dressed-down state I still get "You remind me of [insert vintage comparison here]" lol

Marla

A-List Customer
I was definitely very dressed down. No makeup even, save powder! I guess vintage style runs deep.

Little lady

Familiar Face
I'm not totally vintage, I'm some vintage, some vintage inspired, and some that doesn't look it at all (big boobs it's really hard to fit stuff, there are companies that specialize in it, so it's easy to buy that stuff, but it doesn't always look retro)
I have gotten "how dare you be so unfashionable" looks when going out with a head scarf. It was kind of ammusing how big a deal it seemed to be, but kind of harsh.
I've also gotten many comments on an early 1960 skirt I have, that is yellow, so it's very noticable. People has told me it reminds them of what people wore when they where young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy