Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

lareine

A-List Customer
I really don't dress vintage at all (almost no genuine vintage clothing would fit my shape and size, for a start, although I do sew my own vintage-inspired clothing), but I have my naturally wavy/curly hair in a middy cut and love red lipstick, which apparently goes a long way to making people see "1950s glamour" when they look at me. Last night we were at a party and I spent the last half hour trying to find responses to the alcohol-fuelled comments from other partygoers about how great I looked and how wonderful it was that I was so glamorous. There are only so many ways you can say "thank you" when somebody keeps making the same remarks about your appearance!

It was flattering but at the same time I felt like a fraud because I had done very little to take myself a huge step above the other attendees as far as their perception went. In a sea of jeans and t-shirts, even some red lipstick is far more effort than anybody else makes most of the time. It's a sad indictment of our society, really!

Next time I go to a party I'm tempted to go the whole hog with a dress from a vintage pattern, crinoline, shapewear, the lot, just to see what people say :D

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday, as I was waiting for the train, dressed in my 1930s Halfbelt, 30s style work trousers, Red Wings and wearing my vintage Borsalino fedora, a little boy asked his mom if I was a cowboy. Haha, never had that one before. I looked as uncowboyish as can be.

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
I have a lot of junior girls who work with me, one said to me last week that she loves how I dress up as a nanna (grandmother) all the time cause I really pull 'nanna' style off.....hmmmm I think that is positive lol

Isis

One of the Regulars
I wore a snood at work today and a co-worker asked me what I was wearing- "It makes you look like a horse!"

Well thank you! :p

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I was out on a girls night out last night (at probably the worst club in the universe, we had a fab time, naturally!), and in the pub a girl stopped me and said I looked like a 'fly-girl - one of those girls who used to deliver Spitfires', which I thought was lovely.

Then late on at the aformentioned club a bloke said to me 'Can I ask you how old you are? Because your face says about 24 but your hair says about 40'

Cheeky bugger! I'm over 40 but I didn't tell him that!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I had on some pin striped pants with suspenders and spectators and this lady told her 8 year old son I was Katy Perry.

Haha, the other evening, I was working at at an opening reception (I work the desk in a museum) and a little boy, perhaps about 13, came up and said, "you look so beautiful!" [aww, thanks!] "Every time I look over at you, you look exactly like Katy Perry!". It was sweet, and he was the cutest kid, but I had to hide my look of dismay!

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
According to my man I got a few stares on the street yesterday. But on the other hand I got so many lovely comments from friends and family. Especially my m-i-l and her mother ("I had shoes just like that back then!") seemed to love it. I wore a black shirt and cardigan, elastic belt with swallows, grey wool skirt, heeled brogues, croc leather bag and a rather dramatic coat with huge faux fur collar. I felt so glamorous :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The last time I wore a snood somebody in a passing truck yelled "HEY! TRAP HEAD!" at me.

A "trap head", for those who don't know any lobstermen, is the knitted net at the mouth of a lobster trap. One could easily be used as a snood if one was of a mind to...

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I was in Sephora gathering samples and got a not so nice comment about my hair. A woman with very damaged, coloured, 80s permed, poodle hair said to me (whilst making a face) 'Your hair is damaged. You need to buy this shampoo...etc.'

Pooh on that! :(
X
BD

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I was in Sephora gathering samples and got a not so nice comment about my hair. A woman with very damaged, coloured, 80s permed, poodle hair said to me (whilst making a face) 'Your hair is damaged. You need to buy this shampoo...etc.'

X
BD
Quoi??? Your hair is gorgeous! Clearly she was blinded by jealousy and bad hair dye ;)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Black Dahlia, what a ridiculous comment! You have such beautiful hair! Maybe she was just a very determined saleswoman.

I love Halloween theoretically, but the actuality is a bit trying... I've been getting all sorts of "great costume!" comments of late. I recently made the mistake of running some errands in town at the same time a Halloween parade for kids was being held; I'm sure everyone though I was dressed up for that. It was terribly embarrassing at the time but rather hilarious in hindsight! lol

And today on the bus, a gaggle of catty girls from my school were snickering at me, and one said in a stage whisper, "I never know if people are dressing up for Halloween festivities or if that's actually, like, how they look". Their identical uniforms of skinny jeans and moccasins made the whole thing rather funny, and a girl I don't even know actually politely told them off for saying that, which was incredibly sweet :).

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

X
BD

How hypocritical! I'd have been tempted to say "On the contrary - It isn't nearly damaged enough!" while gesturing to her hair ;)

I love Halloween theoretically, but the actuality is a bit trying... I've been getting all sorts of "great costume!" comments of late. I recently made the mistake of running some errands in town at the same time a Halloween parade for kids was being held; I'm sure everyone though I was dressed up for that. It was terribly embarrassing at the time but rather hilarious in hindsight! lol

Last Hallowe'en, I had so many "great costume!" comments. Some salesgirls in a store were raving about my "costume," and even thought it was cute that I had a matching Betty Boop tattoo (because everyone gets tattoos to go with their Hallowe'en costume, as you do. :confused:) I politely told them that no, I wasn't wearing a costume, and they didn't believe me until my date that evening backed me up. They were even more incredulous at that!

Last edited:

rue

I agree about BD's hair... it's always beautiful :)

I'm sorry that you had to deal with those catty girls Rodeo Rose, but I'm glad someone said something :)

Also.... lately I feel like people think I'm dressed up for Halloween too!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Rodeo Rose, C-dot and Rue!

I too get stares and comments, especially around this time. What is so costume like about 40s/50s attire? Why is a pretty dress considered a costume?

Rodeo Rose, I'm glad too that someone said something. I bet you looked LOVELY!
X
BD

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose everyday clothes are taken for a costume this time of year! I think it's more amusing than insulting. (A matching tattoo for your costume? Really?! lol)

I was thinking perhaps this year I'll dress as a "21st century person" for halloween, so I can be in costume and blend in simultaneously. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy