Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
It must be that people are used to the contrast with our darker lippies. Last Friday, I wore baby pink lipstick, and quite a few people asked if I was "tired" :rolleyes:

A gal that comes into my work regularly also mentioned my lipstick. I'd had a rushed morning and wasn't wearing early on when she stopped in then later in the afternoon after I'd applied it she said she had missed it. Made me chuckle a little to myself.

Juliet

A-List Customer
All my life, when people have stared at me I've done my best to ignore them or meekly looked down at the ground. Well, I don't know what's come over me (maybe just growin' up) but lately I've had the nerve to stare right back, and it's really very empowering! Not aggressively, mind you, just curiously; "a cat may look at a king" etc. etc. This morning, for instance, some stereotypical jocks at the library were blatantly laughing at me, so I gave them a sort of pained look and they clammed up ;).

Good for you! That's the best attitude against the "stare"!

MikeBravo, she was right, too! :)

Mojito

One Too Many
I worried about wearing a....rather theatrical outfit to the wedding of two dear friends. The bride and groom, not to mention our wider circle of family and friends, told me I was being ridiculous, and if I didn't wear something vintage and OTT everyone would be asking "where's Mojito?" Even if my best mate told me that when I got up to give a reading wearing a teal green gown with cherry red feathers at the shoulder, matching teal sequinned evening cloche and red boots, that those guests who don't know me much have reacted much as they would have if Lady Gaga had arrived to deliver the reading.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I was dropping my daughter off for preschool this morning and one of the mothers stopped me and said with such affection in her voice, that my hair looked like what her grandmother used to wear and that she loved it.

My husband told me this morning that I looked like his pin-up girl which in the end, makes all the stares and offhand comments from others a moot point.

rue

I was dropping my daughter off for preschool this morning and one of the mothers stopped me and said with such affection in her voice, that my hair looked like what her grandmother used to wear and that she loved it.

What a great compliment!!

Today I got beeped at by a biker and when I turned to look at him he gave me a thumbs up lol

Oh and a girl at one of the makeup counter booths in the middle of the mall yelled "I love that whole retro thing you have going." It made my daughter smile, because I turned red :eek:

JennyIthink

New in Town
"It must take an awful lot of time to get that look" is something I often hear. Norwegians are known for not being too chatty with strangers, so it really makes me happy when somebody gives me a nice comment here. Not all are nice though - I also get those long stares sometimes, and whispering when I walk by. Somebody I didn't know well sometimes told me their kitchen and living room looked dirty and that I should take a look and clean up.. Too much of that is not funny.

I love comments like "my grandmother had a very similar dress" and "My aunt used to do her hair like that too" :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Last week I ran into Target for a few last-minute stocking stuffers on my lunch hour, and saw a gentleman, probably in his late 40s, wearing a nice tweed sportcoat with a fedora. I was shocked, because the only hats I ever see around town are cowboy hats! :lol: He ended up behind me in the cashier lane, and I made it a point to tell him that I loved his hat and thought he looked great.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
A few weeks ago while I was out antiquing, a little old lady came up to me, squeezed my elbow and told me she loved my shoes. She didn't even come up to my shoulder. Then her husband nodded to me and the two of them left. They were so elegant, it made my day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy