Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Today I got beeped at by a biker and when I turned to look at him he gave me a thumbs up lol

That's awesome lol I once had a couple of older guys in an American Graffiti-esque hot rod give me the thumbs up. It's strangely flattering.

I understand you completely. Had someone ask if I was my husband's mother. Really?!

Some of my boyfriend's friends once asked him why he was "dating an older chick". Actually, he is 4 years my senior. :confused:

I think people illogically equate an old style look with an equally old age.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ That's so strange to me, C-Dot.

I'm a member of another forum that is pretty focused on fashion and accessories, although I rarely visit anymore. The majority of the members there complain about women like Kate Middleton, and insist that she needs to "dress her age" and that she looks like an "old lady." This perplexes me so, particularly when their supposed ideal for said age group is a Kardashian sister. :eusa_doh: I look at someone like Kim Kardashian with her ill-fitting clothing, plastic surgery and heavy makeup, and compared to someone like Kate, I cannot fathom how anyone could think she looks better or younger. Very confusing to me.

Last edited:

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Ah, yes, I find people often mistake me for being older than I am and I am sure it has to do with our more sophisticated, dare I say "old ladyish", styles. I find myself being called "ma'am" quite a bit, which my same-aged friends report never happens to them. The absolute worst is being mistaken for my father's girlfriend; it's happened twice! :eeek:

But on the bright side, I am usually treated with more respect and taken more seriously!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I look at someone like Kim Kardashian with her ill-fitting clothing, plastic surgery and heavy makeup, and compared to someone like Kate, I cannot fathom how anyone could think she looks better or younger. Very confusing to me.

In my opinion, these people are simply inarticulate. The train of thought is like this: Kate Middleton's style is classy-classic, while Kardashian's is classy-trashy (meaning she has lots of money, but dresses like trash). Youth of today is expected to flaunt it until they've lost it, when they must then cover themselves up, since age is unnattractive; If you're young, you show it - if you're not, you hide it. Hiding your body is therefore equated with advanced age, ergo, these people on the forum you visit think Kate dresses like an "old lady."

Pretty sad state of affairs when looking classy means looking old!

The absolute worst is being mistaken for my father's girlfriend; it's happened twice! :eeek:

The exact same thing has happened to me, also twice! Both times, people waited until he was gone and remarked "I can't tell whether that was your dad or your boyfriend." The look I gave them served as their answer. :rolleyes: (My dad has always looked young.)

binglish prof.

New in Town
At my Weight Watchers meeting this week, one of the members said that I had Vargas hair and asked if I knew what that was. I replied I did and she told me that she was a hairstylist who competed in shows and that "Vargas hair" was the rage. She had overheard me talking with someone about getting a perm (I have very straight hair and my sets fall at the slightest touch of moisture, so I have been thinking about getting a perm or body wave to help my sets last longer) and she felt compelled to tell me not to do it because she feared a perm would damage my hair's shine and texture. "You already have Vargas hair, you don't need a perm!" She kept saying. It made me happy to see that someone in town knew what I was doing :eek:

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I had a funny one yesterday from a stranger.... "you remind me of a movie star, from the past... Shirley Temple!" lol

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Youth of today is expected to flaunt it until they've lost it, when they must then cover themselves up, since age is unnattractive; If you're young, you show it - if you're not, you hide it. Hiding your body is therefore equated with advanced age, ergo, these people on the forum you visit think Kate dresses like an "old lady."

Being one of those 'youth', albeit one who wears nothing above the knee and loves 50s-style full-cup longline bras and huge high-waisted knickers, I treasure this quote :D

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
At my Weight Watchers meeting this week, one of the members said that I had Vargas hair and asked if I knew what that was. I replied I did and she told me that she was a hairstylist who competed in shows and that "Vargas hair" was the rage. She had overheard me talking with someone about getting a perm (I have very straight hair and my sets fall at the slightest touch of moisture, so I have been thinking about getting a perm or body wave to help my sets last longer) and she felt compelled to tell me not to do it because she feared a perm would damage my hair's shine and texture. "You already have Vargas hair, you don't need a perm!" She kept saying. It made me happy to see that someone in town knew what I was doing :eek:

I love this!

This morning, one of my co-workers popped her head in my door and asked if she should send an email around in the office that a 40s movie starlet was in the building today. I could have just hugged her. lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The exact same thing has happened to me, also twice! Both times, people waited until he was gone and remarked "I can't tell whether that was your dad or your boyfriend." The look I gave them served as their answer. :rolleyes: (My dad has always looked young.)

My parents are divorced. When I was probably 17 or 18 I was visiting my dad and we went by his office. All of his coworkers thought I was his new girlfriend! (I can't decide whether to insert laughing or puking smiley here.) It was especially creepy since without makeup and my round little face I looked about 13 years old. I know my dad likes the ladies, but jeesh! :lol:

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Youth of today is expected to flaunt it until they've lost it, when they must then cover themselves up, since age is unnattractive; If you're young, you show it - if you're not, you hide it. Hiding your body is therefore equated with advanced age, ergo, these people on the forum you visit think Kate dresses like an "old lady."

Apparently 28 is too old now. Check the link for more info Mother-of-four, 28, banned from every nightclub in town for being 'too old to wear skimpy outfits'

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apparently 28 is too old now.

MikeBravo,
..ehmmm, did I just read "..Ms Woodman started hitting the town last year after splitting from her long-term partner and father of her children Josh, 12, Jamie, ten, and daughters Billie, six, and three-year-old Angel."

To be honest, she's a statistic: Married young, went from "in love and pregnant" to "this is NOT my life" in a blink of an eye. Sadly, I see that A LOT here. Girls "get freaky" and in a way, want to take back the control of their lives.. and they realize that they are indeed still young. However.. there's the "child thing" in the way.
Here, they shift the kid to grandma, and hit the town.
Sad, but true.

:focus:
Last weekend, in the pub, I was told (by a stranger) that I look like "Al Capone from the old movies".. as I was wearing a waistcoat. ;)
..and I get a lot "You look like Shirley Temple" these days, ever since I had my hair permed.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
When I lived in the UK years ago, I was struck at how different the scene was compared to the U.S. - men not allowed in without a shirt and collar, things like that? Eh, ok. They can deny who they want to. She should hang out at a U.S. military base - they won't turn her away. I saw plenty of women dressed just like that lined up outside of the NCO club, hoping to get signed in by a service member. As crwitt said - to each his (or her) own.

Last edited:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
It's always fun to catch up with this thread. While I'm happy that vintage styles seem to continue making a comeback (along with classic burlesque), both here in the US, and, according to the fliers and mags my UK pal mails to me, in a rather big way in Britain, (how I'd love to attend one of those secret pop-up speakeasies....), it's still disappointing to see how the general public continues to dress down and downer for even 'fancy' events. I've a date for the philharmonic this weekend, and tickets to see "The Firebird" at the ballet in Feb. You can bet I'll be dressing to suit the shows, as well as the charming art deco civic center at which they'll be performed, but you can also bet there will be that element of society showing up in saggy jeans, untucked shirts, hoodies, etc. I remember a conversation I had years ago with my dad, while on a long, late night road trip. We were discussing, probably for the first time as adults (or the first time ever), religion. I tried to explain to him how I'd felt as a child, being made to go to a rather fundamental church, always in a dress, and usually in icky panty hose and other horrors (in the eyes of a certified tomboy). I said to him, "Why does it matter what I wear at church? Is God so petty that he actually cares if I dress up?" He replied along the lines of this: No, God probably doesn't care what you wear. You dress nicely as a sign of respect, for the service, for God, for others around you. I couldn't argue with that. Of course, you can tell that was in the old, old days, judging by the way I see some people entering churches today - looking like they're ready to plop back down on the sofa to watch the big game. ;)
My intent wasn't to take this on a religious tangent; just another example of how society has become mostly slovenly.

lauryn

New in Town
Yesterday I was at the post office wearing a modern vintagey top (brown with white polka dots) with one finger roll in the hair and the other part of the hair pulled back with a white (faux) flower. The postal lady was like, "I love your hair, it's like the old style, like in the old movies." I simply said, "thank you." I think she was waiting for a little more of an explanation, which I didn't give.

So this got me to thinking, "I wonder what the other gals at the lounge say when they get compliments/comments about their vintage style." So I have to ask the questions: What type of responses do y'all get and how do you respond?

I simply say thank you. I tend to wear way to many vintage clothes and so I am familiar with this kind of situation. The way I see it, it's always better to stop after 'thanks you'. People making you compliments doesn't necesarily mean them wanting to know more about your clothes. Some just admire your style but wouldn't adopt it....EVER!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner