Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

RedDoll46

New in Town
Funny part is that I don't dress completely in the 40s style although I can tell the influence on my wardrobe. I tend to wear my hair in the style. No one says anything to me; guess they're just used to it.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Sometimes vintage style just IS.. There are people you can't imagine not in vintage style because it becomes part of them, part of their personality. Probably if you changed your hair to s totally modern style that doesn't fit your personality, THEN they'd say something!:)

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Every time I wear a flower in my hair, it gets comments. It's not the set nor the rolled bangs nor the finger waves that people see, none of the stuff that took effort. It's always the flower or the scarf, the accessory I took a few seconds to add on.

Lenore

Practically Family
I went to A-kon this weekend. It's an anime convention in Dallas. While waiting in line with my family, the girl behind me said "I'm trying to figure out what your cosplay is." Slightly amused, and very slightly offended, I replied, "I'm not cosplaying." I don't know if she was serious or not, but said then "so you just look this awesome all the time."

My "cosplay" was a teal pencil skirt, a purple cardigan, and black cotton flats. Minimal makeup, but my hair was curled.

I'm somewhat sad that putting that minimal effort can be seen as an effort to cosplay as opposed to actually caring about your appearance enough to not be in pajamas in public...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fofi

New in Town
I ave only ever got nice comments so far...
2 weeks ago I was in the line at the supermarket, and the lady before told me she loved my dress and was desperate to find 50's inspired dresses... We ended up exchanging FB accounts so I could send her the link to the online shop I had bought my dress from!

RedDoll46

New in Town
I went to A-kon this weekend. It's an anime convention in Dallas. While waiting in line with my family, the girl behind me said "I'm trying to figure out what your cosplay is." Slightly amused, and very slightly offended, I replied, "I'm not cosplaying."

Due to it being A-kon, I would have taken this as flattery. Anime covers such a wide range of time eras. I'm sure that girl just KNEW she knew your outfit from somewhere but couldn't place it. At least she meant it as a compliment.

Lenore

Practically Family
I just had a hilarious moment when a friend of a friend "met" me on Facebook. She replied to a comment of mine with "Can I just take a moment to tell you that I find you bombshell beautiful, and your eyebrows are a masterpiece?"

I was incredibly flattered. She then told our friend she wanted to assemble a retro wardrobe and "style the hell" out of me, to which my friend responded that she'd have to confirm I already don't own said wardrobe. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slythwolf

New in Town
When my hair was longer, my pin curl S-wave would get a lot of "I love your finger waves!" I can't do a finger wave to save my life.

I did once mention off-hand to a coworker that I do pin curls every night and she replied, "I have a set of those at home." A set of what exactly?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Last night went out in a look I normally wear. It was a bar with several of my other vintage friends and two ladies kept looking at me. They motioned me over and told me i looked like I stepped out of time. That was very flattering considering I didn't try anything special with my look that day :)

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
My coworker says all my hairdos are "classic". And when I told my other skirt-loving coworker that I finally got my new skirts that I'd ordered online, her immediate response was "What era are they?" Ha--she knows me.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
On holiday while shopping a lady came up to me and told me how cute I looked and that I reminded her of a girl from one of her daughter's movies. She then asked me if she could take my photo so she could show it to her daughter, I said yes and posed for the photo.
The way I was dressed that day my outfit reminded myself of Molly from the American Girl series.

Later that week on my way back from holiday the lady behind the counter said I looked like a Disney princess.

St. Louis

Practically Family
I went vintage-shopping with a friend and her three-year-old son the other day. This lady is a genuine kindred spirit -- we both always do Golden Era hair & make-up -- so I assumed her little boy was used to the look. But he stared at me with the biggest smile on his face for a long time and then burst out (at the top of his lungs) with "NICE LIPS!!!" At which the entire jam-packed store broke up in laughter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ