Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I suppose I should have continued that statement with it makes me giggle when they appreciate me "dressing up" when in my eyes I am wearing my raggity chore dress and have my hair in rollers. I tell you I get more compliments when my hair is in rollers and wrapped up in a hair rag. lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
LolitaHaze said:
I suppose I should have continued that statement with it makes me giggle when they appreciate me "dressing up" when in my eyes I am wearing my raggity chore dress and have my hair in rollers. I tell you I get more compliments when my hair is in rollers and wrapped up in a hair rag. lol
It beats the average modern look hands down then. I think it's a treat nowadays to see a lady that's dressed to kill. :D

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
It beats the average modern look hands down then. I think it's a treat nowadays to see a lady that's dressed to kill. :D

Yeah, but when I am dressed like that, I am dressed to take out the garbage. Nothing too exciting. hahaha lol

Kimberly

Practically Family
I have worn vintage for two weeks straight now and have gotten nothing but compliments. Of course I haven't been wearing the hats so I don't have the same effect, but people are noticing and asking me about my clothes.

badleekitty

New in Town
I get the same comment "where are you going"??? I usually don't wear vintage to work because it is pretty casual but when I do I sure get alot of attention. Especially from the fellows can't say I don't like it... I just really get treated like a lady.:p

lindylady

A-List Customer
It was a silly day today. I wore a vintage-repro tan dress (sort of 1940s summer day dress) with polka dots. I had on my brown fishnets, brown peep toe shoes, and red lipstick to go the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum to attend a lindy hop dance in honor of Lindbergh's transatlantic flight. Most people complimented my look, but I got a few men rolling down their car windows and catcalling. The worst was when I stopped into a restaurant to get takeout. A scary-looking guy on the corner said, "Hello, darling". I simply nodded and smiled and tried to move along. Then he said, "You're pretty." I was going to say thank you when he suddenly whipped out 30 bucks and said, "I got some money. Let's go in there and get something to eat." Perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of this, but I quickly scooted past him, uttering something about ordering takeout. Has this happened to other ladies in the Lounge?

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I usually just get compliments and the occasional weirded-out expression, but today was funny...

This random man on the street pointed at me and yelled, "You stole that dress off my dead mother!!"

Eee!

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Beings how I haven't many things to dress vintage with yet, I haven't gottenn much feedback. However there was this one time I was doing the Relay for Life and my group decided to dress through the decades. I picked the 40s and thought I pulled it off pretty well. Especially the hair, considering it was done with a curling iron, bobby pins, and loads of hairspray in the bathroom of the Rec Center lol

At first I got lots of weird looks since EVERYONE at the event was dressed in athletic gear, but I felt more at ease once the rest of my team showed up.

The comment that really made my night was from one of my fellow Air Force cadets. He said that I looked exactly like the real thing; like I should be standing in the train station seeing my husband/son off to war.

I was also told by some girl I looked like a porcelain doll :eek:

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I must admit that I get more bad comments than good! They usually come from chavvy, gobby teenagers with no manners or dress sense themselves so I don't take it too seriously but the fact that people have the audacity to just shout comments or stare in a rude manner really irritates me. I am half Chinese and have always looked a bit different. I get stared at a lot for some unknown reason, even when I'm not particularly dressed up, and it does get on my nerves. With my red lipstick I get "You look like a geisha/china doll" comment a lot which I take as a huge compliment! I think the comment I get the most is "Are you Japanese?" which gets tiresome after a while.

I noticed other people mentioned regions and areas. When I lived in Bristol for one year I had a lot of nasty comments and stares, so much so that it really got to me after a while. I didn't find Bristol open-minded and was SO glad when I moved back to London! I still get stares here and the odd nice comment. I got several the last time I went to a vintage fair a month ago; firstly the lady in the MAC shop said I looked amazing, then the lady at the front of the vintage fair wanted to take my photograph (which I refused as I am not photogenic) and then more from the stall owners. Today I was at another fair and the lady I bought some earrings from said I had a lovely look with unusual features and nice pale skin. Compliments are nice but I never believe them lol

SarahLouise

Practically Family
A few weeks ago I went to work with a pencil skirt, seamed hold-ups and curled hair with a flower and a colleague said he loved my look and it reminded him of a tv series called 'Lipstick On Your Collar'. I'd never heard of it but apparently it was on in the early 90s.

HepKat

New in Town
All I have to do is wear my bright 40's lipstick and put a couple reverse rolls in my hair and I find that men generally are much more chivalrous towards me. I find myself having the door held open for me a lot more than if I'm in normal streetwear, and being called 'miss' and 'dear' a lot more. :)

HepKat

New in Town
Adelaidey said:
I agree Shearer... I swear, half of what gets attention about my outfits is either the red lipstick or hairstyle.

Sweetest thing the other day... I got on a bus going down State St., wearing my favorite lavender 40's spring dress, hair in v-rolls and makeup (red lippy!), and sat down across from two boys who looked about 14-15. A few seconds later, I hear one of them hiss to his friend "Dude, come on... don't be rude!" Out of curiosity I sneak a peak from the corner of my eye, and the one who had whispered had taken off his baseball cap and was elbowing his friend to do the same! The first gave me a sweet smile and a nod, while his friend looked sheepish and blushed at me lol . I smiled at them and said "Good afternoon" and they both just grinned.

And here's the kicker... a few blocks later, I stood to get off the bus, and the first boy stood up and the second popped up with him, and both gave me a blushing "Have a nice day." I smiled and returned the goodbye and left, and walked laughing all the way down the block! Stares and maybe catcalls across the street are the two kinds of treatment I usually get from boys that age, but it was so amazing to finally meet a boy or two who was raised well! And doffing the caps and standing as I left was just above and beyond! Of course, it made my week!! :D

Oh my gosh that story is so cute!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy