Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I got the best one today it wasn't really a comment it was more like a stair. I couldn't find something in the grocery story cause that's just how I am and well the man I asked for help definately pointed me in the right direction then almost fell over trying to look at me from around the corner. It made me laugh

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I was in a pretty crummy thrift store trying to buy a wool Pendleton blazer (so perfect for the 80 degree NC summer:rolleyes: ) and got to listen to the two shopowners (older ladies in their sixties) argue for about 10 minutes, because I reminded them of someone and they couldn't figure out who.
.....Sandra Dee.....
...Jane Powell....
and finally (wait for it)
....Lindsey Lohan in Parent Trap.
I'm pretty sure it was a compliment?

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Okay.......just posted this in the Hairdos thread......I was trying to cover my rollers so I could run an errand, as I forgot to set my hair before bed last night.
And I headed to the store....Where a red-eyed drunk told me in the checkout line that I looked like someone from "The Tudors."
I just said thank you. :)

mehair.jpg

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
MissAmelina,

I wouldn't have said The Tudors, but to me you have a striking resemblance to Leighton Meester (sp?), who plays Blair on Gossip Girl. (and that is a compliment, I think she (and you!) are gorgeous!)

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
ShoreRoadLady said:
lol lol I guess it was the ultimate compliment - he thought you looked really vintage! :p

lol I KNOW! He was only off by about 375 years, no biggie. :)

Thank you for the compliment, Lau Mo! Although, I am so old I had to look up who she is. :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Last winter my MIL gave me a bunch of knits and some wool skirts. I wore the short sleeved top of an ivory twin set with denim capris, white wedge sandals (can't get it all right:rolleyes: ) and a faux tortoise alice band today. I kept the eye make-up light but colorful in blues, pinks and purples. My lips were VERY pink though. Not very vintage but my MIL really approved of it and my SIL kept goshing too.:) Wearing something that was my MIL's around her and wearing it in a way she wouldn't have made me feel a bit self conscious but now I just feel really boosted that she approved of my styling.

I could've played it safe and worn a circle skirt and the complete twin set. I might do that next time I see her but I felt I needed to see if I would get her approval of a modern styling with her old clothes first.

SayCici

Practically Family
My uncle thinks it's nice I dress like "a lady". Most of the comments I get from strangers are from older women and they tell me my dresses are beautiful. :)

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
DaisieWilde said:
I haven't been dressing vintage, but I've slowly been incorporating the look via my hair for the past month or so.
While a select few appreciate it, at work I've gotten various responses about how I look like Aunt Jemima (my Rosie do) and Heidi (rolled bangs, rolled sides, and braids).

I plan on continuing, of course, with more vintage touches to my wardrobe and exploring even more hair styling options from the 1930s and 1940s.

:eek:fftopic: Miss 1940's, I see you are from Tucson. I lived there for almost five years. Just moved up north a year ago. Still many roots and happy memories from down South. I got my MA from UofA (married at the time, my ex was a PhD student in astronomy/astrophysics).

Okay, back on topic. I plan on going shopping this weekend and dropping by some antique stores. There was one young lady in my town, who is currently studying in Italy, that epitomizes vintage style and class. She's really young, about 16, but she embraces the 1930s and 40s like no other around here. I worked with her sister and she always came in after school looking so lovely and classy. Such a wonderful thing for a young lady considering I've seen so many girls who barely wear anything nowadays. I always admire her style. She commands respect at such a young age.

Hiya there,
Yes, I was Born and raised in Tucson. I have since moved to Cailfornia;Pasadena to be exact.

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
I get "Why are you so dressed up?"...and sometimes when I'm wearing blue jeans...if that makes any sense...

Last week, my boss said I looked like "a secretary from the 50's" and it made my day.

Brooksie

One Too Many
The other day I went to where I extern at and a friend of mine that I went through school with externs there too only she has the a.m. shift and I have the afternoon. Well I came in the other day to take over and I had on a late 40's or early 50's dress and she said really loud it's June! (I am thinking yes it is the month of of June so ok[huh] ) it was very busy and several clients had to turn and look. I said what? She said you know June Cleaver - I said "why thank you I will take that as a compliment". She is quite aware of my vintage obsession because she helped me move a few weeks ago so she has seen my vintage clothing collection up close and personal - as in several arm loads to the vehicles.lol

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I was in a local antique mall when I was spotted by a group of 'loud' people. They commented that they liked my dress and then called to others in their group to come and look at me. "Wait till she turns around, you have to see her makeup, she actually goes out like that" !!! Suddenly they must have thought I was deaf. Hubby was whispering "RUN" in my ear lol

A few weeks ago, while at my son's school waiting to pick him up, one of the custodian's asked me if anyone ever told me I looked like Lucille Ball. I said "No"
He said I did because I was "wearing a red blouse(made from a 50's pattern) and had red hair."[huh]
Then again about a week later he say's "Hello Ms Ball."

Lily Powers

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
I was in a local antique mall when I was spotted by a group of 'loud' people. They commented that they liked my dress and then called to others in their group to come and look at me. "Wait till she turns around, you have to see her makeup, she actually goes out like that" !!! Suddenly they must have thought I was deaf. Hubby was whispering "RUN" in my ear lol

Have pity on those poor pea brains. After all, if the vendors selling *class* and *manners* were closed that day, how could they function with just their inbred social skills? ;)

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
My boyfriend told me I looked 'very seventies' yesterday... I was wearing high-waisted sailor jeans, a mustard-coloured jumper and a matching(ish) do-rag with curled hair and red lipstick.

Silly thing, I'm going to have to teach him. xx

SayCici

Practically Family
miserabelle said:
My boyfriend told me I looked 'very seventies' yesterday... I was wearing high-waisted sailor jeans, a mustard-coloured jumper and a matching(ish) do-rag with curled hair and red lipstick.

Hahaha, I would have been offended! ;)

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
miserabelle said:

Haha, oh well, at least he was making the effort to be nice - he meant it in a positive way I think :) xxxx x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR