Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Redneck Province

I decided to take advantage of some beatuiful spring weather this weekend while out and about with my military man. He LOVES my vintage-y look and so i do...however, i got more stink eye looks then compliments. Some people actually stared at me...and it was a fairly tame outfit. Just a black circle skirt, white tank top (tucked in because the skirt it fairly high waisted) a black cardigan and then a red belt over top. White socks cuffed and mary jane shoes. I had on my standard cat eye sunglasses, and while i did get "so 50's!" and "you look great!" I actually had one lady actually look at me and go "psssssshhh!"
I was like..."OUCH!"

I decided they were just jealous because while they were wearing stretched out sweatpants, i looked amazing. ;)

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
That's crummy, martini-time, I'm an Albertan too and I would have thought Edmonton would have been a bit cooler about vintage than anywhere else in the province. Maybe you should go strolling down Whyte Ave next time? Or maybe you did... [huh] That lady makes me so mad!

Luckily I haven't run into anything too negative here in Calgary. Keep your chin up, I'm sure you looked great!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, my...

chanteuseCarey said:
This comes from my friend Frederick; who has played at, sung for and gone to Art Deco events out here for over twenty years. We first met at the dress rehearsal night when he was the scheduled piano and vocal soloist for the California Pops Orchestra's "Silver Screen Spectacular" concerts (our entire family volunteers for CPO).

We write letters back and forth over the emails, I've been sending him emails telling him and sharing pics of my vintage ensembles that I post on FL, ever since we were both at the Yosemite Heritage Holidays Art Deco event.

Here's what he wrote:
"Your new glasses are terrific. You will be the hit of the Art Deco Ball! I love your new hair. It is very attractive and wonderfully "vintage" -- if such a term can be applied to hair.

Do your kids realize what a fun mother they have? They are so lucky, but I bet they imagine that all mothers are just like you. How wrong they are. They have no idea how fortunate they are to have you as their mother.

Thanks for the new batch of great pictures. I certainly enjoy seeing your transformation into your true self - a fun-loving, dignified, impossibly rich heiress from a 1939 Paramount film."

:)
And Freddy is hard to please!

He is of course, completely right.

Nora Mae

New in Town
Hello, all! This is my first post, but timely, as I was walking down the street today and a woman driving a car slowed down to an almost-stop and gave me a thumbs up and a giant wave... and I started to wonder if you all had similar experiences as well! I was wearing a black and white polka-dot dress with my hair in curls and a little black hat, which, apparently made her day.

Now, off into the rain to do some laundry and watch my hair flatten.

Miss 1929

64tonya said:
Thanks Darhling, you are so sweet! It was taken at my booth at the last fashion expo. I was selling these hats on ebay and someone wrote me saying they just loved my mannequin!lol
IMG_4107-1-1-1.jpg

You have EXCELLENT eyebrows!

Miss 1929

Nora Mae said:
Hello, all! This is my first post, but timely, as I was walking down the street today and a woman driving a car slowed down to an almost-stop and gave me a thumbs up and a giant wave... and I started to wonder if you all had similar experiences as well! I was wearing a black and white polka-dot dress with my hair in curls and a little black hat, which, apparently made her day.

Now, off into the rain to do some laundry and watch my hair flatten.
Welcome Nora Mae!

Where in Northern CA?

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
You have EXCELLENT eyebrows!
And excellent skin. Sigh, you are so lucky 64tonya. :)

I've been getting some interesting reactions from people lately. Generally things start out with the question, "do you always dress that way?" which I never can tell if it is meant in a good or bad way. I always reply with a "yes" to that question and lately that has gotten some good responses. I've had a few people tell me they respect my style or that it really suits me but one of the best things I've been told lately is, after a long conversation, that I seem very genuine and that how I look is a good representation of who I am. I'm glad my look doesn't come off as a facade once someone gets to know me.

Lillemor

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
I decided to take advantage of some beatuiful spring weather this weekend while out and about with my military man. He LOVES my vintage-y look and so i do...however, i got more stink eye looks then compliments. Some people actually stared at me...and it was a fairly tame outfit. Just a black circle skirt, white tank top (tucked in because the skirt it fairly high waisted) a black cardigan and then a red belt over top. White socks cuffed and mary jane shoes. I had on my standard cat eye sunglasses, and while i did get "so 50's!" and "you look great!" I actually had one lady actually look at me and go "psssssshhh!"
I was like..."OUCH!"

I decided they were just jealous because while they were wearing stretched out sweatpants, i looked amazing. ;)

Of course that's why they were starring!:) Some may just have been envious and curious in the nicest of ways. However that one lady needs to work on herself! I really wonder about those types.....

That's my regular style. Sadly, I don't have any mary janes left and I didn't find cateyes frames when I bought glasses last year. Erh...yeah....some people do look but I've not thought much about what they think.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Second go!

This saturday I'll be going out for my birthday! I'll be sure to snap some pictures of my outfit! I'll keep all you posted about looks and comments i get that night!

Thanks for all the reassuring words! All you ladies look beautiful!! Don't let anyone get ya down! Be fabulous!;)

Gigi

New in Town
ClaraB said:
I've been getting some interesting reactions from people lately. Generally things start out with the question, "do you always dress that way?" which I never can tell if it is meant in a good or bad way. I always reply with a "yes" to that question and lately that has gotten some good responses.

I also get comments along the lines of "Do you always dress that way?" People often seem to think it's a costume, but I assure you that I don't dress in a "costume-y" way. I prefer when people actually say something to me than when they just look at me. Someone in one of my classes told me, "You look so classic. You manage to pull off a retro look without looking like you're trying...it's really cute." Now, I don't normally like being called "retro" (I don't know why), but this person was very genuine, so I took it as a nice complement.

I had saddle shoes on several weeks ago and someone asked me if I was rockabilly. I told her I wasn't, and she said, "Then why are you wearing those shoes?" I HATE when people think I'm rockabilly, especially since they don't actually seem to know what rockabilly is. There's nothing wrong with rockabilly, but I wear more of a classic 50s look.

I find that older people are usually more complimentary than younger people. Going back to fellow college students, many of them can't seem to understand why I don't wear flared jeans, flip-flops, and hoodies on a regular basis.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I'm...

...lucky. My "vintage" is really only coat and tie with a fedora. I have never had anyone say anything bad. As I said in another thread, a nine or ten year old friend of my daughter asked why I was dressed like Abraham Lincoln (in a Federation). That's as close a it gets to negative.

I get tons of positive feedback. I put this down to "it looks good on you" syndrome. By that I mean people like to see others dressed up, but don't want to take the trouble or risk censure themselves.

If you've ever watched What not to Wear, you'll notice that many of the people are genuinely humiliated when they are shown the video of what they really look like.

I think you get more positive vintage comments and fewer negative comments if people could see themselves as well as they see you.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
A few months ago I had to appear in court as a witness against a salesman who'd pocketed some of the money I'd paid in cash to a local TV station for advertising. I took the opportunity to dress up a little and went in my Sean Jean single-breasted gray pinstripe with peaked lapels - very vintage vibe. When I got there I noticed that myself and the TV Station manager, who's case I was there to support, were the only two people in the entire courtroom wearing suits. The judge assumed I was an attorney there to represent someone, and looked kind of puzzled when I said I was just there as a witness.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
One night I got Marlene Dietrich, the other night I got Marilyn Monroe! I was wearing a mouche both nights (and my short curly hair).
MarleneDietrich14.gif

Bob-Henriques-Marilyn-Monroe-207193.jpg

I say never disagree with a compliment :D

I had a guy come into the loading dock today, look at me for about 2 minutes, while his partner had me filling out paperwork. He then goes "BOY, YOU GOT SOME SORTA 60'S THANG GOIN' ON WIT CHO HAIR!!!" I just did what my pop always tells me to do "Smile and Nod"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters