Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
miss_killin said:
I received my first snoods in the mail on Monday :D and was super excited to wear one to work yesterday! I wore a black skirt and a lovely coral cardigan with my grandmothers pearls and my new snood. I was feeling quite pretty. About two hours into work my boss comes inside to say, "You're even starting to look like a mother, wearing hair nets and everything!". I just smiled, he is a 60 something year old man from Canada who wears navy slacks and a baseball cap to work everyday. However, what I was disappointing in was my boyfriends reatcion. I was giddy to get home, hoping for a compliment or two. As soon as I walk in the door he bursts out in laughter and proceeds to tell me I should get a part time job serving lunch at the local school's cafeteria. To snood or not to snood :(

Guys are easily replaceable and generally not worth your time or effort, don't change yourself for someone who can change you out easily.Go for the snoods if you like them!!!! No ones opinion matter but your own!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Snood! My husband knows better than to object to any style whim of mine. My style has changed over time but it's best to let me make the decision as to when and if my style is going to change!

"Where are you going?" *sigh* Take a very deep breath! This must be the single most tiresome question!:mad: I know no harm is intended in the question and most people are just curious and may even hope to start a pleasant conversation but the question is so misplaced.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
miss_killin said:
I received my first snoods in the mail on Monday :D and was super excited to wear one to work yesterday! I wore a black skirt and a lovely coral cardigan with my grandmothers pearls and my new snood. I was feeling quite pretty. About two hours into work my boss comes inside to say, "You're even starting to look like a mother, wearing hair nets and everything!". I just smiled, he is a 60 something year old man from Canada who wears navy slacks and a baseball cap to work everyday. However, what I was dissapointed in was my boyfriends reation. I was giddy to get home, hoping for a compliment or two. As soon as I walk in the door he bursts out in laughter and proceeds to tell me I should get a part time job serving lunch at the local school's cafateria. To snood or not to snood :(
More proof that guys are...well...dumb! To hell with him! You dress for you right? So you keep doing what you love, and others (the smart ones) will admire you for it!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:
Guys are easily replaceable and generally not worth your time or effort, don't change yourself for someone who can change you out easily.Go for the snoods if you like them!!!! No ones opinion matter but your own!
64tonya said:
More proof that guys are...well...dumb! To hell with him! You dress for you right? So you keep doing what you love, and others (the smart ones) will admire you for it!
:eusa_clap Ain't it the truth sisters!

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
Lillemor:
you dealt with that in a far more dignified way than I would've! What a vile person!

Miss Killin:
Next time he says it, ask him if he wants gravy with that! People are so pants.

I used to get yelled at by the other kids at school for how I dressed, but I shrugged it off. Then one day as I came through the gates, three boys pelted me with stones. I lost my temper, yelled at them, ran into the school, grabbed the deputy head, she came outside, yelled at them as well, and put them all on detention. Frankly, once it becomes physical abuse, I put my foot down because if they think they can get away with it once, they'll do it to someone else, who might not be able to cope. I had to give a formal report and as I walked to the office, I went past the ringleader, who was sat at a desk outside the staffroom, reading aloud in a snivelly voice from a book, "prejudice is wrong". Ooooh, I was rather pleased with myself! That nasty little brat learnt a lesson that day.

As mean as it sounds, I get annoyed when people comment on how I look. I mean, really, mind your own business. Women do it in the loos, often, "Ooooh, I love your hair." What am I supposed to say to them. "oooh, thank you!" or "If you love it so much, why don't you do it too instead of look rubbish?" I'm not here for your entertainment! Leave me alone! Arrrgh... or "how do you get your hair to look like that?" If I'm at a rockabilly do and can share tips, fair enough, but why am I going to spend time explaining to someone when from their appearance it's quite clear they're not going to make notes and try it out for themself! It's like they feel they have to speak to the odd person, rather than stare. Because staring would be rude, I suppose.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
helenhighwater said:
As mean as it sounds, I get annoyed when people comment on how I look. I mean, really, mind your own business. Women do it in the loos, often, "Ooooh, I love your hair." What am I supposed to say to them. "oooh, thank you!" or "If you love it so much, why don't you do it too instead of look rubbish?" I'm not here for your entertainment! Leave me alone! Arrrgh... or "how do you get your hair to look like that?" If I'm at a rockabilly do and can share tips, fair enough, but why am I going to spend time explaining to someone when from their appearance it's quite clear they're not going to make notes and try it out for themself! It's like they feel they have to speak to the odd person, rather than stare. Because staring would be rude, I suppose.

The hair thing bothers me the most. I constantly get (or got before I cut my hair really short) "I wish I had your beautiful curls!" Well, ya know what, sister? You can have my beautiful curls. My hair is stick straight, won't take a perm, falls out of curling iron curls in 30min. When I say that I sleep on curlers every night for my beautiful curls, it's "oh, I could never do that. I wish I could get those curls without alot of work". UGH!

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Thank you ladies! I bought a few different colors, so I think I'm going to wear them a bit and decide for myself if I like them. And I will absolutely ask if he wants gravy next time! lol lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
kamikat said:
The hair thing bothers me the most. I constantly get (or got before I cut my hair really short) "I wish I had your beautiful curls!" Well, ya know what, sister? You can have my beautiful curls. My hair is stick straight, won't take a perm, falls out of curling iron curls in 30min. When I say that I sleep on curlers every night for my beautiful curls, it's "oh, I could never do that. I wish I could get those curls without alot of work". UGH!

Maybe it's just their misguided idea of paying a compliment to your efforts and dedication.[huh]

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
I had an intresting one a few weeks ago. I started a new job and wore nude stockings with a black back seam. The outfit itself wasn't vintage, but a full skirt etc, very cute.

My bosses met with me later in the week and said as gently as possible in the nicest way (I appreciated this) that conservative dressing was preferred. I normally am VERY appropriately dressed and the skirt was knee length. I guess I didn't think they were risque. Are they?

Anyway---everyone else that day LOVED the stockings and said how cute they were. So that made me feel better. Even DH who isn't that into vintage liked them! :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
Maybe it's just their misguided idea of paying a compliment to your efforts and dedication.[huh]

When I get it from strangers, I usually just smile and say "thank you". It's when I get it from friends over and over again that I get irritated.

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
Oh yes, all the "wow, it's such a lot of work"... and then they start to look at you as though you're mental. But hey, didn't you just tell me you "loved" my hair? Flippin' 'eck, make your mind up!

Vampy: hmmm... methinks it was seen as not being conservative in their naughty minds where they'd gone "seamed hosiery = stockings = oooh la la"! Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I could give you the first ten different examples of this in my life in relation to so many things I do and decisions I've made that people don't understand and keep asking about again and again...:rolleyes: I fully understand the frustration with these people.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
vampygirl13 said:
I had an intresting one a few weeks ago. I started a new job and wore nude stockings with a black back seam. The outfit itself wasn't vintage, but a full skirt etc, very cute.

My bosses met with me later in the week and said as gently as possible in the nicest way (I appreciated this) that conservative dressing was preferred. I normally am VERY appropriately dressed and the skirt was knee length. I guess I didn't think they were risque. Are they?

Anyway---everyone else that day LOVED the stockings and said how cute they were. So that made me feel better. Even DH who isn't that into vintage liked them! :)

Maybe someone found the seamed stockings less "cute" and more sensual, so their ethics got foisted on you for that reason. I'm glad they weren't rude when they expressed their work clothes preference, though.

Today I have on a vintage cotton dress, circa 1958. It's shirt-waisted, full skirt, a little below knee length and the sleeves are rolled to the elbow. The shoes are late 40's remakes that work well with the style. Our front desk receptionist just came thru my office and said, "And how are you today, Mrs. Cleaver?" lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Darhling said:
it is strange that the 'dealbreaker' seams (hardy har har) to be seamed stockings. An outfit can be with or with them and reactions can be very different.
This is the truth. I can wear a big, fluffy skirt with a crinoline, hair done in a wet set with pantyhose and people just have nice things to say. The same outfit worn with seamed stockings and I get whistles from strangers and dirty looks from girlfriends.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
kamikat said:
This is the truth. I can wear a big, fluffy skirt with a crinoline, hair done in a wet set with pantyhose and people just have nice things to say. The same outfit worn with seamed stockings and I get whistles from strangers and dirty looks from girlfriends.

A lot too depends on how obvious the seam is -- darker seams on nude stockings will always attract more attention, for better or worse, than same-color seams. And same-color seams on *cotton* stockings go virtually unnoticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters