Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lorena B

Practically Family
Lilimor, i am so sorry you had to put out with that situation.

Unfortunately, there is still a lot of people that think in that horrible way.
No one should make another person to feel like is not welcome.
My opinion is that she was so jealous and annoyed for your good taste and style that she just decided to attack you in that way.

Dont give a thought about it, she really shown her colours and got herself in evidence at the eyes of everybody else that overheard her.

And well done of you. You walked off her tall and behaved as the lady you truly are. Kudos to you

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh Lillemor, how hideous.

You definitely handled it so beautifully.

I frankly often wish I WASN'T white as there are so many out there who give us a bad name! But hopefully that mentality is dying out.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Lillemor, what a truly awful thing to have happen, I'm very sorry to hear it. Some people are so bitter and such sad cases that they want others to feel bad just like them. It gives them a feeling of superiority and joy I'm sure, the only way they know. You handled it in an elegant and graceful way. Some thing that vile woman will never have. Hugs xxx

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lillemor said:
I've walked away from so many situations rather than argue or fight out of pride. These days you really can't predict who's capable of going over the edge and doing something "stupid" in retaliation.

Exactly. I dont think she was ignorant, sad, or anything of the sort. I think she knew EXACTLY what she was saying, and she choose you to say it to because you were there, you had a specific look, and most importantly, you didnt feel like a physical threat to her.

I commend you for showing quiet dignity in absorbing that remark. Ive had a few myself, and they do become apart of you.

LD

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smuterella said:
Lillemor - my utmost respect to you for handling this with dignity, I would like to think I would have behaved as you did but I would probably only have managed to be silent through being stunned. You are a poised, strong, beautiful and intelligent woman and don't let a rude, ignorant, ugly bigot get you down.

xxx

I second this comment from Smuterella, you are truly a lady and showed yourself in the worst situation.

When my brother and I were travelling in Denmark, he had a similar incident from a Dutch friend! I'll write you the details if you want, but it really isn't important, as that person is no longer in our lives.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thank you all for your words of support. Some other people have told me that it irritates them that I left her in a situation where she may have assumed that I didn't understand her.

In the past it would've been important for me to do something to let that woman know that my Danish language skills are as good as hers and that I'm not some none-Danish speaking foreigner. I don't feel this need to convince anyone of anything any more. I feel freer because of this.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against foreigners (should say none-Danes since the term foreigner depends on your location) in general or none-Danish speaking people.:)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Just yesterday...

I had just got done having my hair done in a vintage style at the Crocker Galleria Hair shop in SF, and had on my vintage red raffia little late 30s hat, vintage 40s eyeglasses, and a V-I black with red dotted s/s with smocked torso blouse (great for dancing), and the guy at the Farmer's market stall I was buying bakery goods from said, "Lady, did you just get back from the 40s?" To which I replied, "No, I didn't just get back from the 1940s, I am the 1940s."

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor, you were far more of a lady in that situation than I could have been.

I'd have at least had to smirk something like "Who wants to look like you?"

And that's if, IF, I was successful in, as my dear (and far more pacifistic than I) mother would say "expressing yourself using your WORDS."

I admire your quiet courage and also your restraint.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Lillemor, I'm so proud of you for handling that situation the way you did. It's disgusting people still even think like that woman, let alone act on it. Absolutely appalling. That's probably the most lady-like reaction I've ever heard...so classy. I know with my temper I could have never reacted that stylishly, so I really applaud you. :eusa_clap

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor, you handled that situation very tactfully. Good on you! A decade ago, I would have been astonished at her words, but today, I know it happens too often. My childhood best friend, who is black, left after only 1 year at Wellesley because the white girls hated her for being black and the black girls hated her for "acting white".

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor - That is dispicable! I do not know what is wrong with people. You handled it perfectly, good for you!

I keep getting great comments! A few days ago, I was sitting outside a cafe with a girlfriend and there was a table with 3 guys dressed in the newest trend in Denmark - the yacht yuppy look (slicked back hair, navy sweater with a polo underneath or cravat, nice pants, sailor shoes and raybans). One of them came over to us when thhey were leaving and whispered 'you look bloody fantastic!' lol Both me and my friend were stunned!

Lillemor

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Lillemor, you handled that situation very tactfully. Good on you! A decade ago, I would have been astonished at her words, but today, I know it happens too often. My childhood best friend, who is black, left after only 1 year at Wellesley because the white girls hated her for being black and the black girls hated her for "acting white".

I know why I keep going over it; It's because it doesn't happen as often as it used to so I no longer have the thick skin to protect me and just let it wash over me. The more frustrating but inovert comments and actions wash over me because people know it's easier to get away with and I experience it often enough to become immune and I can't actually think of a specific incident to list as an example.

Get stopped every morning by a couple of nice elderly men who stop in front of me to say goodmorning.:) They actually stop! They don't say anything else and one older gentleman found some excuse to chat to me in the supermarket about nothing in particular. The one older gentleman always wears a suit and the other one is just in nicer casual wear than most older people (or anyone) wears today so I'm flattered in a none attracted way; I take it as a compliment on my style.

Darhling, if people would just make half the effort of those guys in my area!:rolleyes: I've always liked that casual, sports/yacht/polo/golf style and just wish all men would make that effort! *Writes note to hubby!*;) I had no idea it was trendy. I was hoping it would become trendy again. I also hope that men who like to dress casual and nice at the same time will always dress that way even if it's not trendy. That's the style the casual older man was wearing minus the ray bans.lol

Mary

Practically Family
I think 15-20 people told me I had a pretty dress this saturday. It got tiresome. I want to hear I'm the pretty one. :mad: :p

2009_0423palett0001.jpg

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Mary said:
I think 15-20 people told me I had a pretty dress this saturday. It got tiresome. I want to hear I'm the pretty one. :mad: :p

2009_0423palett0001.jpg

You do look lovely! I think that dresses are so infrequently worn by most people that they tend to comment on it...[huh]

The comment that I get most frequently is "Where are YOU going??" as if they assume that I have something special to do if I am wearing a skirt. (And they want to know where boring old me could possibly have to go!) I also get "You're so dressed up!" I have taken to smiling and saying something along the lines of, "Not as dressed up as I would LIKE to be."

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
from my Art Deco pianist friend

This comes from my friend Frederick; who has played at, sung for and gone to Art Deco events out here for over twenty years. We first met at the dress rehearsal night when he was the scheduled piano and vocal soloist for the California Pops Orchestra's "Silver Screen Spectacular" concerts (our entire family volunteers for CPO).

We write letters back and forth over the emails, I've been sending him emails telling him and sharing pics of my vintage ensembles that I post on FL, ever since we were both at the Yosemite Heritage Holidays Art Deco event.

Here's what he wrote:
"Your new glasses are terrific. You will be the hit of the Art Deco Ball! I love your new hair. It is very attractive and wonderfully "vintage" -- if such a term can be applied to hair.

Do your kids realize what a fun mother they have? They are so lucky, but I bet they imagine that all mothers are just like you. How wrong they are. They have no idea how fortunate they are to have you as their mother.

Thanks for the new batch of great pictures. I certainly enjoy seeing your transformation into your true self - a fun-loving, dignified, impossibly rich heiress from a 1939 Paramount film."

:)

miss_killin

Familiar Face
I received my first snoods in the mail on Monday :D and was super excited to wear one to work yesterday! I wore a black skirt and a lovely coral cardigan with my grandmothers pearls and my new snood. I was feeling quite pretty. About two hours into work my boss comes inside to say, "You're even starting to look like a mother, wearing hair nets and everything!". I just smiled, he is a 60 something year old man from Canada who wears navy slacks and a baseball cap to work everyday. However, what I was dissapointed in was my boyfriends reation. I was giddy to get home, hoping for a compliment or two. As soon as I walk in the door he bursts out in laughter and proceeds to tell me I should get a part time job serving lunch at the local school's cafateria. To snood or not to snood :(

JennyLou

Practically Family
Every time my grandmother sees me in vintage dress she always says that I look like her sister and that my hair is an exact same style that her sister would wear. My grandmother was a tomboy but her sister always dressed stylish back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters