Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

zendy

A-List Customer
I was at the coffee shop last week and a gaggle of old women came in from the porch when i was trying to order. They started feeling my dress and touching my hair and saying, "ohh look how cute" and poking at mt sides saying " you are wearing a corset, how refreshing."
It was so embarrassing and adorable at the same time.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
zendy said:
I was at the coffee shop last week and a gaggle of old women came in from the porch when i was trying to order. They started feeling my dress and touching my hair and saying, "ohh look how cute" and poking at mt sides saying " you are wearing a corset, how refreshing."
It was so embarrassing and adorable at the same time.

That's surprising, especially out West. :confused: Most people here won't get close enough to prod.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Oh, i sure hate it when people poke at you without permission, arrgg, that is sooo rude!!:rage:, fortunately has not happened to me in a very long while!.
The latest compliments i have been getting lately are (ok, not the best) but i still feel quite charmed about them is : " oh, you look very Dita von Teese"
I obviously take it for the vintage dressing Dita not the one wearing D&G and modern designers stuff.
Still, i understand that for most people she is the most popular stereotype of a glamorous or retro girl so, i dont mind to be called that at all.

Inky

One Too Many
Sheesh, it happens to me all the time. Now most people will ask (it's usually in reference to my tattoos) but some just grab my arm or go down to touch my leg (!!) without asking.

I wouldn't touch a stranger in a million years! Fascinating that it happens to so many. There must be a lot of touchy-feely people out there.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Saturday night on Fremont st to see The Comets I was walking arm in arm with hubby when another arm appears, at first I thought it was one of my friends then I realized they were in front of me and the extra arm is pulling me to stop. This girl want to tell me her friend loved my dress and hair, then the friend started to tell me. Fortunately she didn't add her arm to the mix lol It's those touchy people again. Some time back I was shopping and I thought I caught my skirt on something but this woman had hold of it looking at the Bull Fight pattern !!! Why would you do that ???

Neany73

New in Town
I think because you're out of the ordinary you become an object and not a person.

I've just moved to London and it's giving me some confidence back after it was very bruised with some not so nice comments when I lived in Cambridge (lots of nice too, but the bad ones stick longer!). Now I find that when I'm working (in a fabric shop in central London, so a highly creative place) I'm getting people stopping in their tracks and just staring at me when I ask them if they need help. Luckily it's been good comments everytime... but for those few seconds I'm getting ready for the "are you in fancy dress or something?" comments and often worse ones that I used to get.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Neany73, I dont think you will have big problems in London, is quite an open minded city.
The worse that has happened to me there is, hearing a bunch of chavs laughting when i passed by, and to be honest, that wont make me cry the whole night long thinking how mean people is.lol

Odalisque

A-List Customer
goldwyn girl said:
Some time back I was shopping and I thought I caught my skirt on something but this woman had hold of it looking at the Bull Fight pattern !!! Why would you do that ???

She's lucky you didn't kick her as a reflex.
I would have. Maybe with a little intent though ;)

betty valentine

New in Town
Once I was waiting for the bus and there was a group of highschool girls nearby... I overheard them saying things like "she looks like I love Lucy" and other various comments involving nick at nite. I felt like they were poking fun, but I really didn't care. This is who I am.
one of the lawyers at work says I'm "a girl out of time" and compares my outfits with retro tv stars. one day I even wore jeans and pigtails and she compared me to ellie mae clampett, haha. I think I've been stereotyped.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Today as I was leaving work for lunch a co-worker said "You look so cute!" (I'm wearing a black 30s dress I made and a pink cardigan sweater.) I get to the grocery store and I'm greeted with a guy saying "Halloween." I did respond to his highly original insult, but if I wrote it here it would get me banned from this forum. ;)

Lenore

Practically Family
Hair confusion

Hello Ladies!

I've been slacking since our office building went under construction (Mostly because I don't want to mess up any of my pretty clothes) so a few of our new employees haven't seen "the Real Lenore" as my boss calls me. Since construction is nearing completion, I've started to pull a few things out and fix myself up a little more, more for me than anyone else as I'm still stuck in an empty building with a skeleton construction crew. Yesterday, I put forth the effort and did some adorable Victory Rolls, and I got the following comments.

Contractor: "Wow... very Marilyn Monroe-ish, isn't it?"

New Maintenance Man: "What's up with the Flock of Seagulls hair?"
^He ticked me off, but I didn't reply. :rage:

Today, I'm feeling very Rita Hayworthy with my pin curl set styled to perfection, and I hear:

Contractor: "So.. who is it today? Brigitte Bardot?":eusa_doh:

New Maintenance Man: "The 1950's called. They want their hairstyle back."
(Are you sensing a pattern here????)

I count the days until construction is complete and not only can I be me again, but I don't have to see Mister Meanie Maintenance but very rarely.

It's a pity, our last maintenance man always had a compliment for me.

Edited: Pulled Duplicate Signature.

Inky

One Too Many
Lenore said:
Hello Ladies!

I've been slacking since our office building went under construction (Mostly because I don't want to mess up any of my pretty clothes) so a few of our new employees haven't seen "the Real Lenore" as my boss calls me. Since construction is nearing completion, I've started to pull a few things out and fix myself up a little more, more for me than anyone else as I'm still stuck in an empty building with a skeleton construction crew. Yesterday, I put forth the effort and did some adorable Victory Rolls, and I got the following comments.

Contractor: "Wow... very Marilyn Monroe-ish, isn't it?"

New Maintenance Man: "What's up with the Flock of Seagulls hair?"
^He ticked me off, but I didn't reply. :rage:

Today, I'm feeling very Rita Hayworthy with my pin curl set styled to perfection, and I hear:

Contractor: "So.. who is it today? Brigitte Bardot?":eusa_doh:

New Maintenance Man: "The 1950's called. They want their hairstyle back."
(Are you sensing a pattern here????)

I count the days until construction is complete and not only can I be me again, but I don't have to see Mister Meanie Maintenance but very rarely.

It's a pity, our last maintenance man always had a compliment for me.

~Lenore

tell them you've gone back to the past because that's where all the real men are :D

and welcome to the Lounge!

Lenore

Practically Family
I should! (but then they'd comment that they were going to tell my husband! lol) and Thank you!

On a positive note, the secretary of one of our old tenants, who is about 75?, just walked in to say hello. She stopped at the door and practically shouted "Look at your haiiiiir!!! I love it, I love it, I love it!"

Makes a gal feel pretty nifty. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot