Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
I love reading this thread... laughing, getting angry over the rudeness of people, and finding that others get so many similar reactions that I do while out and about in the "vintage mode"! ;)

Elaina: Wow. I have to say that is probably one of the most sad reflections of modern women. (And that's putting it mildly). I love your reaction and responses though! I've never been verbally "assaulted" for how I dress, but I hope if it ever happens, I'll be as quick with a witty reply!

My most recent story: my husband took me to Disney's Magic Kingdom a few weekends ago. I wore a 40s inspired blue dress, my favorite "faux 40s" wedges, hair up in rolls with a flower, makeup done in my usual red lip and black liner, and carrying a cute parasol. Pretty different from the usual amusement park wear, so I got a lot of stares and people pointing at me throughout the day. But the sweetest moment was when we had just gotten off a ride, and an older couple (in their 60s) came up to me. They absolutely loved how I dressed and were telling me how I reminded them of their mothers from that era! It was so lovely to hear their stories! :) A bit later, one of the park employees (also an older gentleman) stopped us and said he loved my "classic, straight-from-the-40s" look. That made me grin!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
swingkitten85 said:
They absolutely loved how I dressed and were telling me how I reminded them of their mothers from that era! It was so lovely to hear their stories! :) A bit later, one of the park employees (also an older gentleman) stopped us and said he loved my "classic, straight-from-the-40s" look. That made me grin!

Don't you love it when people aren't only nice enough to compliment you, but they get the era right? lol

Going by your avatar, you deserve the compliments - absolutely stunning!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
klind65 said:
What's the loveliest/ most pithy/ most enthusiastic compliment you have received on your vintage presentation?

My all-time favorite was probably from a completely fabulous antique dealer. I was wearing my favorite vintage suit, vintage jewelry, full-fashioned stockings, '50s style hair and makeup. She told me that I was "perfect" and that the world needed more people like me! The nice comments totally make up for all of the times my sister makes fun of my red lipstick.

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
swingkitten85 said:
I love reading this thread... laughing, getting angry over the rudeness of people, and finding that others get so many similar reactions that I do while out and about in the "vintage mode"! ;)

My most recent story: my husband took me to Disney's Magic Kingdom a few weekends ago. I wore a 40s inspired blue dress, my favorite "faux 40s" wedges, hair up in rolls with a flower, makeup done in my usual red lip and black liner, and carrying a cute parasol. Pretty different from the usual amusement park wear, so I got a lot of stares and people pointing at me throughout the day. But the sweetest moment was when we had just gotten off a ride, and an older couple (in their 60s) came up to me. They absolutely loved how I dressed and were telling me how I reminded them of their mothers from that era! It was so lovely to hear their stories! :) A bit later, one of the park employees (also an older gentleman) stopped us and said he loved my "classic, straight-from-the-40s" look. That made me grin!

This is my favorite thread, too! I'm glad to see that the positive comments are outweighing the negative! ;)

P.S. I love your blog, Casey!

50sGal

New in Town
I wear 50s Vintage eveyday and I also have quiet alot of tattoos.
I live in a small town and work in a lovely little Vintage shop where everybody knows everybody! I get the nicest compliements from the loveliest old ladies and the old men! I think that it takes them back to their younger days-minus the tattoos!!! Although alot of them are blown away by them!;)

Aarika

New in Town
I went to a wedding recently wearing a pink and white striped '50s sundress and a '50s purse with white lace gloves. There was a guy there who said, "You look like an actress!" and he wanted to take a picture of me later lol

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Finally got good compliments the other day.
85090122.jpg

"You look like you just stepped out of an old movie! Very beautiful, darling!"

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
GlamourDoll said:
85090122.jpg

I can totally see why you got that lovely comment--you look gorgeous!!! :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
GlamourDoll said:
85090122.jpg

You've got one of the most amazing profile's I've seen in a long time! Great bag and shoes, too!

50sGal

New in Town
I work in a cute vintage shop, I always get " Oh you look the part" and they think that I only dress this way for the shop! I always say to them that this is how I always dress, most people are amazed! Sooo funny!

Antje

One Too Many
Today was really great, I got 2 comments like "are you inspired on japan today"
and I there was a lady who asked me if I liked 30's style and she immediatly started talking about the series "the house of elliot"

I didn't wear vintage clothing only my hair was inspired a little that way
(we al wear the same black clothing in our salon)

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Thanks ladies! :)

I just think it's funny how you can get bad comments from others in your really nice dresses, then get good comments from others when you just have a simple day dress on!

Oh well! Can't win 'em all! [huh]

Feathers

Familiar Face
I usually get the "you have that flapper thing going on" comment (even when I'm just in regular ol' clothes). Or I'll get compliments on my dress which include 'wherever did you get it?'...I do take it as a compliment. I'm still working on the vintage clothing though - trying to refocus from decor and furniture.

billysmom

One Too Many
I frequently wear vintage suits to work. It's a large hospital, so I'm usually moving from meeting to meeting through a sea of visitors. Many of them are elderly. They're the ones whose eyes light up and smile. Complete strangers call out "great outfit". There's just something about fine tailoring and great lines that gives people a lift!

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
I get some pretty good comments when I dress vintage, even when I was in high school when I commonly got "O_O" stares.
College, the comments range from "very elegant..." to "Everybody should dress like you..." <-I'm serious, someone said that. I was flattered but I blushed the same shade as my lipstick shade that day. When it comes to the vintage furs I use, I do get the occasional glare but the positive heavily outweigh the negative.

SayCici

Practically Family
Magdalena said:
That gets me thinking ,I'll be going to high school a year from now.( I know I'm young!!!;) :eek: )Do you think I should brave it and wear it or should i tone it down? I 'm a little scared of what my peers will think. I'v already worn a bit of it in front of some of them and I just wanted to crawl into a hole.The girls can be really nasty!!!Please tell me what you think!!!
Do you think I should brave it and wear it or should i tone it down?
Would you 'tone down' your personality? :) Be yourself, and be confident! You won't have any trouble making friends, most likely people will be drawn to you. And if anyone doesn't want to be your friend just because of the way you dress, who needs them?

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Girl, I went threw junior high thinking the same thing. I thought about it for some time.

Alot of times I had gotten mean comments from kids that were narrow minded and had low self estem? But I wore it regardless. But I also mixed in black vinyl corseted gowns with platform boots that were 5 inches tall at times and a purple mohawk with ripped heavy mental band tees (kat von d style). I had a wide spectrum of taste then. Esp before I went vintage purist. But nevertheless I didn't let the mean things get to me.

Now I can't say I wore vintage everyday. But I also went to a technical school and it was very hard not to get dirty just sitting at my desk. But the point is, that there will be mean people that make fun. But you have to ignore them. You may sit by yourself, like I did, but eventually you'll make friends with people that like you because your different, unique, and have a mind of your own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo