Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Yesterday at Remembrance Day ceremonies in a small town around here, i was the ONLY one who wore a dress and heels. There were people there in honest to god, sweat pants. I didn't get any comments, just odd looks. I couldn't believe the people who just didn't seem to care! There was a girlfriend of one of the guys in my boyfriends regiment and she was wearing jeans and a dirty t-shirt telling me she didn't get dressed up because "it was too early" I was like...um...i was awake at 5:30am to look like this so don't tell me it was too early! Sheesh...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
*martini*time* said:
Yesterday at Remembrance Day ceremonies in a small town around here, i was the ONLY one who wore a dress and heels. There were people there in honest to god, sweat pants. I didn't get any comments, just odd looks. I couldn't believe the people who just didn't seem to care! There was a girlfriend of one of the guys in my boyfriends regiment and she was wearing jeans and a dirty t-shirt telling me she didn't get dressed up because "it was too early" I was like...um...i was awake at 5:30am to look like this so don't tell me it was too early! Sheesh...

Good job :eusa_clap I got the weird looks in my long coat and heels too. It's amazing how people justify such disrespect. One of the veterans wives was kind enough to tell me how nice I looked... I guess she noticed the same!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
C-dot said:
Good job :eusa_clap I got the weird looks in my long coat and heels too. It's amazing how people justify such disrespect. One of the veterans wives was kind enough to tell me how nice I looked... I guess she noticed the same!

Nice job ladies! Today I got my usual Life Magazine e-mail and the photos of the day were people saying goodbye to the men heading off to war and what was so obvious was the effort that the ladies went to to look good during WWII - beautifully done hair, smart coats, gloves and hats - nowadays its sweatpants and trainers.....

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Miss Golightly said:
Nice job ladies! Today I got my usual Life Magazine e-mail and the photos of the day were people saying goodbye to the men heading off to war and what was so obvious was the effort that the ladies went to to look good during WWII - beautifully done hair, smart coats, gloves and hats - nowadays its sweatpants and trainers.....

Exactly! Beauty was your duty - The soldiers needed morale, which was beautiful women to come home to. Anything for victory.

Personally, I think all soldiers, past and present, still deserve the respect. I wouldn't think of embarrassing my soldier by showing up in something I'd wear to walk the dog.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
C-dot said:
Exactly! Beauty was your duty - The soldiers needed morale, which was beautiful women to come home to. Anything for victory.

Personally, I think all soldiers, past and present, still deserve the respect. I wouldn't think of embarrassing my soldier by showing up in something I'd wear to walk the dog.

C-dot...somehow I think you look good even walking the dog!

I get very sentimental about military people. When I was still in retail, I met a greater variety of the public. I used to love it on Memorial Day when the older fellas would come in sporting their hats or jackets that spoke of their days in service. I just wanted to hug them and say thank you.

In an effort to stay on topic...if I'm off this Thanksgiving, I might wear one of my new dresses. I can't wait to hear what the family says. I won't hold my breathe for "you look nice" but rather will brace for "Lucy, I'm home" or "where are you going?". If that happens...I'm putting them all up for sale on eBay! :p (the family that is, I'm keeping the dresses!)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot said:

Thanks...It was just odd to me...i thought more people would be dressed in a more appropriate look. At least the man most important to me appreciated it.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou said:
C-dot...somehow I think you look good even walking the dog!

You're sweet :)

Here, just for you:

Dog001edit.jpg

*martini*time* said:
Thanks...It was just odd to me...i thought more people would be dressed in a more appropriate look. At least the man most important to me appreciated it.

That's all that matters. When everyone else in the world is wrong, it still isn't right!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Indeed - Chihuahua's and big ol' Labradors are two different stories lol I wear sweaters and clean black pants, so I imagine I still look nicer than other dog walkers/lazy heathens of today. Oh well.

Back on topic, last Friday I was waiting at a bus stop, and a young man asked me why I was dressed "like that" (long coat, red vintage heels, seamed stockings, victory rolls, beret.) I assumed he was like every other snickering eye-roller in town, and monotonously explained I always dress vintage. He smiled wide, told me he was a photographer who was experimenting with vintage style shoots, and that my look was fabulous. He even offered to shoot with me sometime. :)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
Back on topic, last Friday I was waiting at a bus stop, and a young man asked me why I was dressed "like that" (long coat, red vintage heels, seamed stockings, victory rolls, beret.) I assumed he was like every other snickering eye-roller in town, and monotonously explained I always dress vintage. He smiled wide, told me he was a photographer who was experimenting with vintage style shoots, and that my look was fabulous. He even offered to shoot with me sometime. :)

Wow! What a great compliment! Are you going to get the shoot done? You must have looked great!
ps. cute puppy.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thank you! :)

I've exchanged a few emails with him, but haven't had any word for a few days. I'd love to have a shoot done and be like the beautiful pin-ups on here that I envy!

PS. That there dog is an old bag of 9 who thinks shes a puppy lol

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I won't even pick my honey up from work at the garage in yucky clothes. I certainly wouldn't ever greet him returning from war in schlepping-around-at-WalMart clothes!!

Claireg

One of the Regulars
50's girls had it going on...

So I tried my first day at work completley 50's. I work in court so can go REALLY OTT - suits are a must.
I put my hair in rollers the night before (a first) and wore my new blue vintage suit. My avatar shows the result. i wasnt that happy with the hair - am waiting to get a middy cut next week so its a bit boofy.

My goodness what a reaction!
I had nothing but comments all day, the best was from an older gentleman who works in court also who I was suprised to hear yelling down some stairs to me "you look HOT today" and a very well dressed lawyer's reply "I have been thinking that all morning but decided to keep my appreciation on the inside"!!
I have never in my whole career gotten this reaction.
I am so suprised what a bit of makeup and grooming can do.
Those girls were onto something thats for sure.
I am hooked, at this rate I might score me a boyfriend!!

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
C-dot said:

:eusa_clap You have such an excellent way of putting things!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
I've gotten all sorts of comments here in NYC...most of them are nice...I was wearing this crazy purple/black 30s cocktail hat the other day at dinner- giant sculptural bow/tiny black veil...and the people sitting across from us told my boyfriend that my had "made their entire night!" while I was in the restroom. Very sweet!

But when I was walking around Harlem one day, I had a guy yell out, "Well, it ain't Halloween yet!" Yikes.

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
For the second time in a month, someone has told me I look like a young Elizabeth Taylor. The most recent one was able to specifically pinpoint her look in National Velvet. I don't see it, but it's a very sweet compliment! lol

I also wore my vintage golden yellow evening gown to an art gallery opening on Thursday, and the gallery owner simply gushed at me, telling me how fabulous and elegant I looked. :)

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
23SkidooWithYou said:
In an effort to stay on topic...if I'm off this Thanksgiving, I might wear one of my new dresses. I can't wait to hear what the family says. I won't hold my breathe for "you look nice" but rather will brace for "Lucy, I'm home" or "where are you going?". If that happens...I'm putting them all up for sale on eBay! :p (the family that is, I'm keeping the dresses!)

You really made me chuckle 23SkidooWithYou. lol I get the where are you going comment all the time too. The worst thing is I feel like I have to make something up sometimes, just to make life easier. Especially to the family members who live in sweats. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran