Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Compliments and other reactions

Edward

Bartender
I was walking my dog over the week end and was wearing a silverbelly Open Road. A couple pre-teen boys rode by on their bicycles. One of them said, "Hey sir, I like your Freddy Krueger hat." Really? Freddy Krueger? It's a silverbelly Open Road! I usually get Indiana Jones, but Freddy Krueger? I just responded with a "Thanks", and continued walking my dog.

Heh, I used to get Freddy Kreuger, years ago. In those days I was wearing a black wool trilby and a black wool trenchcoat....

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
I had to make a run to a local pharmacy this afternoon to fill a prescription... since a cold front was beginning to force its way through, I was sporting a scarf along with a tweed, elbow-patched jacket and my newsboy cap... I got all kinds of comments... I just smiled and thanked each person that commented or asked... my favorite though was a little old black woman that just KNEW I was a guitar player... she was so sweet.

People do notice!!

~shoes~

-30-

A-List Customer
Walking home last night, I decided to stop and purchase a Coke at a local pizza restaurant. Upon my entering, one of two men turned around, then
mentioned to his buddy as to my presence and my clothes. (1950's dark blue fedora - Manleigh Custom Hatters - 352 College St, Toronto;
black leather jacket and dark blue trousers.) His friend, after taking a side-glance, blurted "Where's your horse?"
I made no return comment.
Their food having arrived, number one made it to a table, while number two promptly allowed his to meet with the floor, face down.
Needless to mention, I believe that it was he who was The Cowboy and it was His Horse that had stepped in it.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
I get a lot of compliments on the wool wide brimmed fedora I wore most of winter, from people young and old, but I also get stared at (and maybe not always in a complimentary way) a fair amount, as well. I remember one time especially when at the bridal shop looking at bridesmaid dresses for my sister's wedding, I felt people were staring, but then I took a good look around and realized just about everyone was in jeans and sweaters and sweatpants and I looked like this:

True%2BGrit.jpg

Show up at a bridal shop looking like you just stepped out of True Grit and you will get weird glances, haha.

I get a lot of compliments on the wool wide brimmed fedora I wore most of winter, from people young and old, but I also get stared at (and maybe not always in a complimentary way) a fair amount, as well. I remember one time especially when at the bridal shop looking at bridesmaid dresses for my sister's wedding, I felt people were staring, but then I took a good look around and realized just about everyone was in jeans and sweaters and sweatpants and I looked like this:

True%2BGrit.jpg

Show up at a bridal shop looking like you just stepped out of True Grit and you will get weird glances, haha.

Awesome! :eusa_clap

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up

I get it all the time. :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'd probably give you a few weird glances myself if you looked that much like Jeff Bridges. lol

That was actually a decent remake of the original. It pretty much stayed with the original script. Nevertheless, as well as Bridges did, the Duke and Robert Duvall were better in the original....

John Wayne...

True_Grit_JW.png

Robert Duvall, "Ned Pepper"...

true_grit_robert_duvall.jpg

Last edited:

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Zombie_61, more Mattie Ross...being female, I don't know that I can own a beard or an eye patch as well as Bridges, haha. I actually thought about being Mattie Ross for Halloween, except I felt that wasn't fair since I already dress more or less like her all winter.

T Jones, I need to see the original sometime, as I enjoyed the remake, but know the originals are often better!

That was actually a decent remake of the original. It pretty much stayed with the original script. Nevertheless, as well as Bridges did, the Duke and Robert Duvall were better in the original...
Technically speaking, the Coen Brothers' True Grit wasn't a remake. Both movies were based on the 1968 novel by Charles Portis, so it's another translation of that novel from the page to the movie screen. There was also a 1978 television movie with Warren Oates in the title role that was supposed to be a pilot for a proposed television series that would have been more of a sequel than a remake (i.e., "The further adventures of Rooster Cogburn"), but it was poorly received and the series never materialized.

I prefer the Coen Brothers' version myself. I can understand why people like John Wayne, but I've never really been a fan so I have to give the nod to Bridges. Robert Duvall vs. Barry Pepper as Ned Pepper is a tough call for me; I like both actors and think they both did a terrific job with the character. I've never though Kim Darby was much of an actress, and Glen Campbell couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag, so Hailee Steinfeld and Matt Damon take that prize. Of course, these are just my opinions; I could be wrong. ;)

I agree Zombie, while I like the original for sentimental reasons, the Coens did a great job and the bantering between Mattie and Matt Damon's character was priceless.
I liked the look of Mattie's hat, a nice BOTP look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn