Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Compliments and other reactions

Lotsahats

One Too Many
My daughter enjoys wearing my hats; naturally, she looks great in them. She had talked about borrowing a hat to wear to school today, and, when she changed her mind, I said, "You look good in hats. In fact, you look better in them than I do." My wife responded, "She looks better than you do, period!" Ouch. Touché.

A

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
At the grocery store last night, some random guy asked me if I was going be wearing my hat tomorrow. I said, no, probably one of the others I have... and then he asked to borrow it!

Uh... no!

Tom

Edward

Bartender
lol

One of my vintage hombergs appeared in a music video last year (for all of two seconds, a throwaway line referencing Churchill). People I know and know I can trust with a hat, that's grand. Some random stranger approaching you on the street, so to speak; that's a bit out of leftfield.

Edward

Bartender
I've had an intoxicated woman ask if she could try my hat on once at the Kentucky Derby. She seemed very offended when I said no...

Oh, jinkies, yes... I get that a lot. I learned fast to be careful where I wore a decent hat... so many drunken women, and men for that matter, have no respect for a decent hat, thinking only of it as some fancy dress item, and will think nothing ofl ifting it and wandering off wearing it. It's a particular problem with boaters... Sad thing is that there are quite a few kids out there who probably get turned down for trying on a hat when they're really genuinely interested and might get into them. Some ruining it for the rest...

Just where? I was out with my wife and another couple just this past Saturday night, when a drunk woman approached our table, repeatedly pointing at me. This was a casual place, and I had my hat ON as we were sitting. When the drunk reached the table, she did at least ask if she could try on my hat (a VS light sage) so that her friend could take her picture, because she just absolutely loved the hat.

It was later in the evening (following seeing "The Judge" at the movies) and I had finished one drink; I was NOT quite on my game, and as was the case for Fedoracentric, she was hot... So, she tried it on, despite me deliberately showing her the dripping wet sweatband (drunks will be drunks...).

And you know how you think of all the right things to say AFTER the opportunity is gone??? Well, I AM ready for the next one, and NO, she will not get my hat next time. Unless I can try on her pants.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Once a drunk guy also asked if he could wear my hat. A big NO was what he got. Who knows what would he do to it and if he runs away. No, no and no!

At the grocery store last night, some random guy asked me if I was going be wearing my hat tomorrow. I said, no, probably one of the others I have... and then he asked to borrow it!
"Sure. But first I'll need a $1,000 security deposit, in cash, and you agree to pay to have it cleaned by a professional hatter either before or after you return it. And if you damage it in any way, I keep the deposit. Sign here, please." :D

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I was driving an old pick up truck this morning with the windows down. While driving past a fire station a guy hollered, "Great hat!" The Bluegrass Green Campdraft still gets comments.

IMG_4136.jpg

In general, my various hats get favorable comments - aside from the Indy and cowboy remarks. Most compliments come from a re-worked brown cowboy hat that I turned the brim down and re-shaped the crown to a Jimmy Stewart inspired 6 point diamond crease. I am often asked where I got it and people are surprised when I tell them that I made it from an old standard cowboy hat. A reference to the video of Roy Rogers reshaping a hat and a discussion of making a leather band usually follows. Of course, this was all possible because I learned much of it here.

IMG_4926  Guide.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4929.JPG
    IMG_4929.JPG
    824.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
Fed--I received the same words about my Camp Draft last December from a gentleman at a filling station in West Texas. Those CDs have a big, bold, classic look in my opinion.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I was wearing my 3X Open Road and got a very enthusiastic compliment from a gentleman standing in line with me at the local QT. He remarked that it was a great looking hat and how good it was to see someone wearing a "proper hat" as he called it.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I stopped at the grocery to pick up a few things after work this evening. Saw a gentleman wearing what looked to be a decent hat go up an aisle, and when we passed, he said, "That's a nice-looking hat!" We compared lids; he was wearing a mid-50s Playboy--first one I've seen in the flesh--with a Borsalino liner, and I was in a Knox from the same era. It was fun to compare notes for a few moments with a fellow wearer.

A

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I was walking my dog over the week end and was wearing a silverbelly Open Road. A couple pre-teen boys rode by on their bicycles. One of them said, "Hey sir, I like your Freddy Krueger hat." Really? Freddy Krueger? It's a silverbelly Open Road! I usually get Indiana Jones, but Freddy Krueger? I just responded with a "Thanks", and continued walking my dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails