Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Compliments you've received

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Everywhere I've ever worked, at least one coworker has told me, "You're too smart to be working here."

Best (and first) on my '67 Chrysler; In the parking structure at USC Medical Center, as I'm entering, a man who's leaving stops next to me, rolls down his window and says, "Now that's a car!"

Lee

carter

I'll Lock Up
deadpandiva said:
I want to a bar about a month before my 33 birthday. The Watiress carded me which is great in itself, but then when she looked at my ID she sade "Wow, you look great." That made my week.

One of my coworkes said that she was intemidated by me because I liked opera and was so pretty. Only Girls give me compliments like that but I still love them.

I'm not pretty but I do like opera. :D

I can't tell if they're compliments or not but I see a lot of drivers going in the opposite direction look at me and smile as I'm driving by with the top down, my hat on, and a scarf wrapped around my neck. Putting a smile on somebody's face makes my day. :D

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe this should merge

with the non-gender-specific thread in the Powder Room "Comments youg et while wearing vintage" - or maybe that one, the "Dumbest Comments" and this one allare a category in themselves!

Anyway, my favotite one lately was "You look like the Black Dahlia". Not having seen the recent film, that brought up the image of the BD in the waiting room in the afterlife in Beetlejuice!lol But I guess she meant it nicely!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
carter said:
I'm not pretty but I do like opera. :D

I can't tell if they're compliments or not but I see a lot of drivers going in the opposite direction look at me and smile as I'm driving by with the top down, my hat on, and a scarf wrapped around my neck. Putting a smile on somebody's face makes my day. :D

Carter, clear out your PM folder so I can message you!

samantha

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
I tend to not give me compliments except for my boyfriend. Is that bad? Most of the time the guy thinks it's because I'm interested. I've given compliments in the past and it backfires in the strangest ways. Once I gave a compliment to a cousin of my ex bf (who was my bf at the time) and his cousin thought I was hitting on him and spread that rumor to the rest of the family. It caused a big family uproar. All I said was that I liked his shirt. That prevented me from ever giving another compliment to a guy. Just seems to work out better.

Edward

Bartender
Then you get the guys at the other end of the scale (praradigm example, one Edward Marlowe) that jump to the initial assumption that a girl complimenting them is taking the mickey.... lol

I went to a couple of Sex Pistols gigs last week, straight from the office and dressed as per regular office wear (shirt, trousers, cufflinks, cravat one night, silk four in hand the other, waistcoat, sports jacket, fedora, overcoat). I think i was the only person there in a fedora. :) I certainly stuck out among the younger kids - a lot of whom had "dressed up" for the occasion (how many sixteen year old Sid Vicious lookalikes can you fit in one room!!?? :p ) - and middle aged guys in jeans and t shirt, reliving a misspent youth. Braced for some kid with a three feet mohican taking the mickey, and all ready with a stinging "I became a punk at fifteen - i didn't join the army" riposte to any commentsd about not "looking right." I'll tell you what, though..... the kids did us proud. Maybe they just all got it, but nobody objected to a classily dressed guy "looking different", and I got quite probably more compliments on the fedora from the most unlikely of people than in the several weeks previously. "Don't you judge a book just by the cover..." and all that. ;)

Tell you what, though..... there's nothing quite like realise the psychobilly looking girl that you've been eyeing all night is checking you out too. Nothing vocalised, but that look was definitely one heck of a compliment. ;)

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
hargist said:
What about in an office park to a man in a business suit and fedora? I know weirdos are everywhere, but it seems less likely in a professional environment with other professionals around and security everywhere.

Having worked in a professional business park, with security guards at the entrance, this still happened where I worked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Farley

I never thought anything like that could happen in a place where background checks are done on virtually anyone who works there.

It's unfortunate that our society has reached a point where we can't be polite or complimentary to strangers without having to consider the potential consequences. :(

Haversack

One Too Many
One summer weekend a couple of years back I was getting on the bus to head downtown. I was wearing a panama Art had crafted into a planter with a blue pugaree, a dark, (but not navy), blue silk sport coat, a spread-collar stripped shirt with a muted gold paisley tie, caramel-coloured poplin slacks, and a pair of AE Fairfaxes in chestnut.

The bus pulled up, the door opened, and the bus driver, an attractive African-American woman in her fiftys, looks me up and down and says, "My, my. You look good enough to eat." Since by gabber is easily flasted, it was all I could do to maintain my composure and reply, "Well, thank you ma'am." Of course, a few hours later the treppenwitz machine kicks in and a variety of pleasant and witty rejounders occurred to me.

Haversack.

zaika

One Too Many
Haversack said:
One summer weekend a couple of years back I was getting on the bus to head downtown. I was wearing a panama Art had crafted into a planter with a blue pugaree, a dark, (but not navy), blue silk sport coat, a spread-collar stripped shirt with a muted gold paisley tie, caramel-coloured poplin slacks, and a pair of AE Fairfaxes in chestnut.

The bus pulled up, the door opened, and the bus driver, an attractive African-American woman in her fiftys, looks me up and down and says, "My, my. You look good enough to eat." Since by gabber is easily flasted, it was all I could do to maintain my composure and reply, "Well, thank you ma'am." Of course, a few hours later the treppenwitz machine kicks in and a variety of pleasant and witty rejounders occurred to me.

Haversack.

that's fantastic! :eusa_clap and i don't doubt that she was right!

retromom147

One of the Regulars
What a great idea for a thread!

Wow, this thread is great. We can all come back to it and remind each other of it when we get dumb comments from people!

Anyway, I've only had two compliments that pertain to the vintage world. Since I started actually dressing this way (I've been a firefighter, contract welder, construction worker, Military Police in the Army for my whole adult and teenage life) about 2 years ago I've been aiming for the Rita Hayworth look but keep missing.
I was shopping about a week ago with my baby wearing a full skirt an autumn colored retro-looking blouse and brown "Ginger Roger's" heels and an elderly woman came up to me and said "Yes my dear, that's the way we used to do it...you're a regular Rosie" while she patted my cheek. That made me feel so good especially coming from a woman who didn't have a hair out of place and whose makeup rivaled mine! I was smiling all day.
The other compliment was when I was a kid doing big band era impersonations at political fundraisers, school events and the like. I sang songs from Judy Garland, Doris Day, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald...etc. And a man came up to me and said that when I was singing he swore he could see Judy Garland standing right in front of him...that tickled me my favorite color.

Big Man

Strange comment from a kid ...

I came out of the grocery store last night dressed much in the same way as in my avatar (minus the Thompson, of course). As I was getting in my vehicle, a kid who looked to be about five or six years old, passed by with his mother. The little kid looked up at me and waved. I waved back. He then turned to his mother as they passed by and said: "Mommy, look at that FBI man." [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
One of the nicest compliments that I have ever received came from a newer member of the Fedora Lounge who PM'd me to say thanks for being friendly and willing to communicate with new folks on the Lounge.

I'm certainly not an old hand but do intend to be friendly and accessible. It means someything to me when someone says, "Thanks for being friendly".

Mike in Seattle

dhermann1 said:
There were actually three men in fedoras in that elevator, out of maybe 20 people. But you would expect that in Brooklyn Heights. I have to post some pix of that area, it's tres tres cool.

Ah, Brooklyn Heights...where cousins come two of a kind, like Patty and Cathy Lane...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou