Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Compliments you've received

Dracca

One of the Regulars
As a women in my 30's...I would say in todays word (where there are some odd people around) I usually do not compliment men that I do not know. It just feels safer somehow if you give a another woman a compliment, or give a much older man or younger (like teenage boy) a compliment. You have to understand sometimes that women (that are strangers) are not necessarily shy but rather cautious about stuff like that on a daily basis...and unfortunately for the majority of totally normal guys out there, there are those few that are always around mixed in with the general public that give us good reason to be. Maybe that sounds somewhat paranoid but when dealing with total strangers, it is rather true when you are a woman and a type of behavior that you somewhat adapt to.

hargist

One of the Regulars
What about in an office park to a man in a business suit and fedora? I know weirdos are everywhere, but it seems less likely in a professional environment with other professionals around and security everywhere.

I sometimes think that society has become a little too closed off. Our first instinct is to view strangers as threats, and maybe rightly so. But perhaps not. Maybe our parents drilled in the "you shouldn't talk to strangers" in our heads a little to well. I'm guilty of it and I've been trying to become more open, but I'm a guy, so it may be different.

However, I don't know if society was more open in the past. I have nothing to base it on because I've only lived in my own time.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
hargist said:
There's a great thread in the hat section called "The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard." Dumb comment stories are always great, but for every dumb comment you receive, I'll bet you get five positive ones. Be it about your hat or clothes, let's hear them!

I'll start.

This afternoon I was in the elevator with a coworker and a lady who was probably in her late 50's. As she exited her floor, she said, "I just wanted to compliment your hat. It's really fantastic."

It made my day. However I have an observation. I rarely get compliments from women who are close to my age range (30's). Why is that? Are they shy or do older women tend to like classic style more? Has anyone else noticed this?

Ah, but don't forget my dear friend... it was your hats that had me come up to you and D'OH the first time we met. As I recall, I think I frightened the pants off you two. lol

Bebop

Practically Family
Dracca said:
As a women in my 30's...I would say in todays word (where there are some odd people around) I usually do not compliment men that I do not know. It just feels safer somehow if you give a another woman a compliment, or give a much older man or younger (like teenage boy) a compliment. You have to understand sometimes that women (that are strangers) are not necessarily shy but rather cautious about stuff like that on a daily basis...and unfortunately for the majority of totally normal guys out there, there are those few that are always around mixed in with the general public that give us good reason to be. Maybe that sounds somewhat paranoid but when dealing with total strangers, it is rather true when you are a woman and a type of behavior that you somewhat adapt to.

That is so true. I have a close friend that thinks every woman that talks to him in a public setting is coming on to him.

"Did you see that?" :eek:
"No, what?" [huh]
"She was hot for me?" :D
"No she wasn't. She just asked you for directions." :rolleyes:

I can imagine what his reaction would be if a woman his age gave him a compliment! :eusa_doh:

hargist

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
Ah, but don't forget my dear friend... it was your hats that had me come up to you and D'OH the first time we met. As I recall, I think I frightened the pants off you two. lol

True, true. I think D'oh and I were shocked because:

1. You pegged us as Loungers at a Denny's in Las Vegas.

2. Beautiful women never just come up to me while I'm eating at Denny's. Though I think it happens to D'oh all the time.

Doh!

One Too Many
hargist said:
2. Beautiful women never just come up to me while I'm eating at Denny's. Though I think it happens to D'oh all the time.

Brother, I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me.

Dang it.

Dracca

One of the Regulars
hargist said:
What about in an office park to a man in a business suit and fedora? I know weirdos are everywhere, but it seems less likely in a professional environment with other professionals around and security everywhere.

I sometimes think that society has become a little too closed off. Our first instinct is to view strangers as threats, and maybe rightly so. But perhaps not. Maybe our parents drilled in the "you shouldn't talk to strangers" in our heads a little to well. I'm guilty of it and I've been trying to become more open, but I'm a guy, so it may be different.

However, I don't know if society was more open in the past. I have nothing to base it on because I've only lived in my own time.

Well, sure some places may seem like there are more normal people around, etc. and I don't know about other time periods either but my point is we are kind of conditioned that way and most of us have had some rather odd experiences out of the blue too.

Like for example...I was at a wedding once back in college, a good friend of mine from high school was getting married (male friend) and I was just being normal talking to different people at the reception as well as catching up with many old friends there. I chatted with on of the guys in his wedding party for a few minutes (literally like 3 minutes). Totally normal conversation for someone you don't know. I don't even remember complimenting him on anything although I may have said they all looked good dressed for the wedding and did a great job or so. This guy later on goes through my friends address book at his house (or we assume so, as I was unlisted and my friend never gave him my phone number) and after I went back to the town I was in going to grad school in, he was still in Dallas, he starts calling me over 50 times a day. I am not kidding, at the time I was in school full time and bar tending at night, but my caller ID shut off at 50 calls and every night it was full with this guys number. Never left a message and strangely enough I was never once home when called. This went on for three weeks, then a get a letter from him saying he thought we could be friends but apparently I am just hateful, etc...just 3 pages of yelling at me for never taking his calls, when at first I was never home to get the calls and then they got obsessive. I honestly did not know if next the guy was going to travel 500 miles and show up at my door some day.

Anyway, like I said, most women I know have had similar things happen, some more or less severe. But this is one reason a lot of women are not real friendly at times with men they do not know. Men may also get this kind of stuff happening but as a woman you are also in a position where men are generally physically larger and stronger, etc...and you are in that weaker position at all times due to that.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back to 5 compliments

Not about my hat or my clothes but how about my face? 1. I was at a sales meeting last week and one of the girls raved about how great I looked especially my skin! Thank you! 2. At that same meeting the sales director was mentioning different reasons why a gal might want flexible hours, using examples.
"Let's say Ashley just had a baby." :D I'm almost 47 years old (we don't know each other's ages) and most of the ladies were younger than I. :D
3. My mom's friend who sells antiques and has known my family since I was in college asked me Friday how well my sister and I get along since our ages are so far apart. In reality my sister is only 3 1/2 years older than I and looks much younger as it is. :D
4. and 5. later.
In addition to all the nice comments about my pictures posted here on the Lounge.
I've found that younger gals are remarkably, nauseatingly bold when they want romantic attention from a male but won't say anything nice about his appearance otherwise. [huh]
Ashley

ShortClara

One Too Many
There's a gal at work who just told me I make her want to go shopping when she sees what I'm wearing every day :) She's lovely and complimentary all the time!

zaika

One Too Many
i don't get compliments! not in real life anyway. well...not true. one of my closest friends always says that i'm hysterical. but i think that i'm hysterical to only her!! lol
at any rate...i make sure to give a few a day. genuine ones of course...it keeps me in a good mood. :D

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
This was more of a statement, but the other day I was standing in line at a bank, when a man in his seventies, who was waiting to be helped, turned to a woman waiting as well, and said, "you know it's been years since I saw someone wearing a hat". Pretty much everyone in the bank had their eyes on me......:eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if this was a compliment or belongs in the "dumbest" thread, but I think it was meant as a compliment. I wore my black Inverness cape yesterday in the wind and rain of New York, along with my new Disney, and some not exactly sober character sees me and says, "Holy s**t, the Count of Monte Cristo!" lol
Later that evening I was coming up in the elevator at the Brooklyn Heights subway station, and complimented another chap sporting a very nice fedora. He returned the compliment, and asked me about my cape. I told him I got it from MisterAntony.com in Glasgow, Scotland. He took down the name and seemed interested in getting one for himself. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? This cape is the most terrific anti rain garment I've ever worn, plus, you cast a really cool shadow with it late at night under the lamppost.
There were actually three men in fedoras in that elevator, out of maybe 20 people. But you would expect that in Brooklyn Heights. I have to post some pix of that area, it's tres tres cool.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I want to a bar about a month before my 33 birthday. The Watiress carded me which is great in itself, but then when she looked at my ID she sade "Wow, you look great." That made my week.

One of my coworkes said that she was intemidated by me because I liked opera and was so pretty. Only Girls give me compliments like that but I still love them.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
i don't get compliments! not in real life anyway. well...not true. one of my closest friends always says that i'm hysterical. but i think that i'm hysterical to only her!! lol
at any rate...i make sure to give a few a day. genuine ones of course...it keeps me in a good mood. :D
You're an amazing artist. Someone must have told you that before?

The Shirt

Practically Family
at any rate...I make sure to give a few a day. genuine ones of course...it keeps me in a good mood.
I think this is very true. I have found that if I focus on the positive in someone else, it's very difficult to stay wrapped up on myself or my own bad mood. Plus I love how it makes me feel when someone compliments me - so I have to assume that I could potentially make someone else's day! (how very presumptuous of me. ;) )
So here you go -All of you are quite lovely in your own unique ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany