Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conrad Veidt (1893-1943)

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
Everyone remembers Major Strasser in the legendary film Casablanca, starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. The actor that played the part, Conrad Veidt, was one of the great actors in Europe before he had to flee Nazi Germany in 1933.

Has anyone seen his 1928 film, "The Man Who Laughs"? I have to say it was one of the finest films I have ever seen.

33798263_o.jpg
33798292_o.jpg
33798295_o.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm familiar with Veidt from the very strange (if not very good) science-fiction romance F.P.1 (1932), where he played a cynical aviator who agrees to save an offshore airport built by his friend in order to steal his girl. The girl was the then Mrs. Laurence Olivier and the friend was "Nails" Nathan from The Public Enemy.

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
Leslie Fenton

Conrad Veidt's best films were during the "Silent Era" in Germany during the 1920's. Leslie Fenton played Nails Nathan in The Public Enemy in 1931. He married Ann Dvorak who played in the 1931 movie Scarface with Paul Muni.

33805340_o.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Veidt was the somnambulist Cesar in the classic 1920 film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Wonderful film.
I would like to see more of his silent work. A very talented actor and something of an icon (for villains,that is!)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
What a wonderful actor. He was actually quite a handsome man but used his face to good effect in a variety of roles (as demonstrated by the films mentioned).

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Doh!

One Too Many
I've never seen The Man Who Laughs, but do know that Veidt's appearance in it was the inspiration for The Joker in the original Batman comics. The still on the first page of this thread makes it all too obvious.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
It's been said already, but I'll say it again. See "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari." The plot is goofy and the acting is (not surprisingly) over-the-top. Veidt was quite good in it, though. Anyway, the real draw to it is the amazing set design. The sets are all painted wood that makes the film feel and look like a moving piece of German Expressionism.

caligari.jpg

CabinetdesDrCaligari1920-01.jpg

nightmare.jpeg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I loved him in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I actually wrote a 13 page historical fiction piece loosely based on the film (I had to write it for my history class senior year in high school), if anyone's interested in reading it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
More about F.P.1

I looked around the web for shots of Conrad in F.P.1 but couldn't find much.
The thing is - the picture was made in 3 languages at once (!!!), all with different actors.
The German film, called F.P.1 antwortet nicht (F.P.1 Does Not Reply), was quite the hit.
The English one got chopped up badly, cutting out a lot of the flying and model work for some reason, and only attracted much attention in Australia.
The French version has disappeared.

Anyway, here are the leads from each on the "aircraft platform" soundstage, which was actually built on a small island out in the Baltic. L-R, they are Hans Albers (German version), Veidt (English), and Charles Boyer (French).
veidt.14.jpg

BTW, the screenplay came from a novel by Curt Siodmak, whose name is well known to s-f and horror film filberts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot