Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering a Stetson Open Road, what pairs well with it?

Tacocaster

New in Town
I want to order the open road over seas. Meaning I can't try it on before. I've ordered 60 cm akubras 3 times, and they fit every time though the style master is maybe just a little tight. Any advice on how to fit the OR without trying it on first? Should I try to get used? Should I get the Royal deluxe or the 6x cowboy felt?
Here are my two cents. In this conversation, there really needs to be a distinction between the modern OR versus the older ORs. They are VERY different hats. I own many modern ORs, both in Royal Deluxe and 6X. I also have an Akubra Campdraft with a cattleman crease. I’m nowhere near being a hat expert, I just know what I like. The modern ORs have a shorter crown, and the felt is very thin. The Royal Deluxe is much softer and “floppier” than the 6X. Not a good or bad thing, just different. The sizing is VERY inconsistent, but in the ballpark. I’m a 7 3/8. The height of your head is very important here. If you have a tall forehead, the hat will sit higher on your head—it will hit the bottom of the crease. It’s really hard to tell you if it will fit your head. The only surefire way to know is to try it on. Do not buy a modern OR if you have plans to ever reblock it—it should be purchased with the intention of leaving it as is. The Akubra can be blocked to your liking. It also has a higher crown, so it is more versatile. This distinction makes a big difference. Even though it can be blocked with the cattleman’s crease, it doesn’t quite look like a Stetson OR. Matter of preference.

I alternate between the Royal Deluxe and 6X as to which is my favorite. The Royal Deluxe has more give, while the 6X feels a bit more firm on your head. Even still there are differences in fit between the two types—just a fact amongst mass produced hats.

I will say this—my best fitting Stetson OR is a 6X. I have other 6X ORs that don’t fit as nicely.

I only wear it brim up, which, beside the cattleman crease, is the characteristic that the average person knows the (modern) OR for. Some prefer front brim down, but it looks like a completely hat like that. The flange makes a huge difference, too. Both Royal Deluxe and 6X brims can be snapped down equally.

Here is what you can also consider: I bought an awesome older Resistol (long oval) Ridgetop western hat on Poshmark for a great price. I had a hatter cut the brim down to 2 3/4” and put a flange on it (and a front mule kick) and I absolutely LOVE IT. It is a much thicker felt, so can be re-shaped as you wish. The crown is also a little taller. The brim is raw, unlike the OR and Campdraft—this is seemingly a minor detail, but it is a big difference in the overall look of the hat. It just might be my new favorite. Here are photos for comparison:

Last edited:

Tacocaster

New in Town
Left to right: Resistol Ridgetop in crystal, cut brim to 2 3/4”, flanged, front mule kick. Akubra Campdraft in Bluegrass Green, Stetson Royal Deluxe in Natural.

C50D7267-ABF7-4ABA-B47A-D33B849C0820.jpeg
F873F52F-D6E6-4134-AC95-7EF5F9F17272.jpeg
E8EC3653-204B-4679-918C-5EB4B1B48A4E.jpeg

Tacocaster

New in Town
I should also mention that I wear the Open Road with anything and everything—T shirts, jeans, and Nike Air Jordans, western snap shirts, jeans, and boots, and I even wear them with running shorts and sneakers, but I live in Texas.

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
OK I'm in the Texas Hill Country so take that into account.

Several years ago my wife informed me of an estate sale in Johnson City. There were several hats that were billed as LBJ's personal belongings. All of them were Open Roads.

LBJ was quoted as saying that cowboys on the ranch wore cowboy hats but the man who owned the ranch wore an Open Road.

Growing up in Texas I had a real clear understanding of boots and hats as the position of a man. In the oil patch you stood at the water cooler in the office, as a company man with boots that spoke to your position. If you were newly promoted your field boots gave you up.

My Dad's hard and fast rule was a day's wages on a hat and a week's wages on a pair of boots. So, if you looked at a 1k pair of boots at the water cooler....like that. Now, this was the real deal. Not some urban cowboy B.S.

Anyway, we went to the estate sale and I bought an LBJ Open Road and yeah, it cost me more than a day's wages.

I have both straws and felts and wear them everyday....but.....I don't own a ranch.

OK I'm in the Texas Hill Country so take that into account.

Several years ago my wife informed me of an estate sale in Johnson City. There were several hats that were billed as LBJ's personal belongings. All of them were Open Roads.

LBJ was quoted as saying that cowboys on the ranch wore cowboy hats but the man who owned the ranch wore an Open Road.

Growing up in Texas I had a real clear understanding of boots and hats as the position of a man. In the oil patch you stood at the water cooler in the office, as a company man with boots that spoke to your position. If you were newly promoted your field boots gave you up.

My Dad's hard and fast rule was a day's wages on a hat and a week's wages on a pair of boots. So, if you looked at a 1k pair of boots at the water cooler....like that. Now, this was the real deal. Not some urban cowboy B.S.

Anyway, we went to the estate sale and I bought an LBJ Open Road and yeah, it cost me more than a day's wages.

I have both straws and felts and wear them everyday....but.....I don't own a ranch.

I believe LBJ was a Resistol man and not Stetson so not an “Open Road,” but hats of the same style.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
I'm almost 70 and have been sporting a modern OR--the style we associate with LBJ--since the 90s. And in the 90s I wore it with my Armani suits without a second thought.

I still pair it with a suit from time to time, although I have to wear suits less and less. But I've also paired it with chinos, jeans, and more frequently--overalls. The overalls are not only comfortable in the extreme, but are surprisingly admired by the younger cats. To me, they are just a reflection of my family heritage, my uncles being Virginia farmers.

Because of the weather here in Oregon, I rarely wear a Stetson OR in the winter. Instead, I have several Campdrafts that occupy that space. I can bash them into the many versatile shapes that original OR were worn. I love them. But on a clear day I'll wear the OR, even paired with a Barbour waxed coat or a Burberry trench. It just works.

In the summer months, if it's a mild day, I have no trouble wearing my Open Road. (I should note I only own silverbelly, which works well in the summer. I do have my eye on a sage color to wear on those winter days here when it isn't raining.) If it's very hot, I have several straws to choose from: Lock & Co Panamas, even Stetson OR shaped straws. Delmonico Hatters makes a particularly good looking OR style straw in their house brand. I think I like that even better than the Stetson OR straw.

In short, the modern OR is an incredibly easy hat to wear. Dress it up, dress it down. From Armani to overalls. At least that's been my experience. I can't imagine being without it.

Thanks for the info and snappy pics. That's the look I want, casual but with a full brim hat, and I want a proper stetson. The Western flare is cool..seems like most people massively prefer the Akubra campdraft. I have a few akubras in my collection. Great hats. I wear the hats outside so I think the 6x is better in my case. Stetson is out of the fawn, but the mixed brown is also too my taste. Any idea how long it might take Stetson to resupply fawn? IMHO the natural is the nicest color for the royal deluxe.

It's a problem for me, as I live overseas and would need to guestimate. Sizing up to 7.5 has always worked out for me so far.

Do you have any pics wearing the hats?

There hasn’t been a “proper Stetson” made in over 50 years. The company only exists as a brand name now that has been owned by multiple companies since Stetson went out of business.

I had a modern 6X Open Road and didn’t care for it, but if you want a stiff/firm felt hat and like the factory shape it’s not a bad hat. It’s not easy to reshape it, but you can make small tweaks using a lot of steam and patience.

I’ll also give a plug to custom hat makers. For about the same cost as the Stetson, and probably less, you can have a custom hat made for you. @belfastboy can make you a hat in the same style and make it to your specifications and size. Agnoulita can make you a custom hat in the style with free international shipping for just under $200 and deliver it to you in approximately 30 days. My biggest complaint with the current/recent Stetson hats is the build quality. I also don’t see the value when I can have a custom hat made for the same price. Of course I understand that not everyone feels the same.

This is the Open Road style I found from Agnoulita..https://www.agnoulitahats.com/collections/western-mens/products/the-tatooine?variant=42513195892984

I don't think it's to my taste..I'm already self conscious about wearing hats no one else ever does. I saw one guy on YouTube found a Portuguese hat make that made a custom Open Road style hat..I think it was a bit flashy for me with the feathers and all

I mean I have nice outback akubras but as an American abroad part of it is I just want classic something Americana to wear and for my collection

I’m not following you. The custom hats are indiscernible from the Stetson. The same colors, the same shape, the same brim, the same ribbon/bow, but a better made hat. The only way anyone would know know it’s not a Stetson would be if you took it off and showed the inside of the hat (liner and sweatband).

I completely understand “wanting what you want” and not being deterred. If you are set on the Stetson it’s not a bad hat and I bet you’ll really like it if the fit.

I’ve bought a few hats here liked the service:

https://www.one2miniranch.com/search.php?search_query=Open road

Well I'll try to have an open mind. I think these hats don't look the same but maybe that's just because I'm already biased. What did you think of this Portuguese maker?

I would like to get a few opinions of what others think of custom, vs open road, vs campdraft.

I bought two D’Aquinto hats a few years back (the company who made the hat in your video). I was not at all impressed with the quality and will never buy another hat from them. The hat in the video really isn’t an Open Road style hat either.

It sounds to me that you’ll be happiest with a Stetson so why not just go that way? I only suggested a custom due to my preferences, but I understand they aren’t for everyone.

I like the Campdraft, but the 5 ½” open crown is just too low for me. Most people are fine with this crown height, but at my 62cm size I just can’t get the proportions I want.
The Campdraft was the Open Road. Akubra had the license to make Stetson branded hats for the Australian market and they made The Stetson Open Road. When they lost the license to make hats under the Stetson name they just changed the model name to Campdraft and kept making the same hat without the Stetson name. I can see choosing the Stetson 6X over the Akubra if you want a stiff/firm felt and a factory cattleman’s crease. I also think the current Stetson leather sweatbands are better than the current Akubra sweatbands. Personally, I haven’t been impressed with Stetson’s quality control or build quality, but they make a serviceable hat.

Really what makes on Open Road and Open Road is pretty simple:
1. Crown blocking (shape) and height
2. Brim width and flange
3. Brim binding (narrow ⅜”)
4. ⅜” wide crown ribbon with the Open Road bow.
5. Modern Open Roads also come with the cattleman’s crease crown shape

It’s not hard for any hat maker to duplicate the look of the Open Road.

So you recommend getting a custom OR this Greek company? Well shipping should be cheaper. I think it's only an hour from Israel.

I it's funny you mention Stetson is just a brand bought buy some company. I have the gable rain Fedora by stetson. It's made in China or something, and not quality you would expect. It's okay. The brand is a main reason I'm interested in the hat TBH.

I know private equity destroyed Remington gun co..it's sad. Idk
Tis the way of the modern world.......add Borsalino to the mix although they claim to be making a comeback as a real hat company.

So you recommend getting a custom OR this Greek company? Well shipping should be cheaper. I think it's only an hour from Israel.

I it's funny you mention Stetson is just a brand bought buy some company. I have the gable rain Fedora by stetson. It's made in China or something, and not quality you would expect. It's okay. The brand is a main reason I'm interested in the hat TBH.

I know private equity destroyed Remington gun co..it's sad. Idk

I only recommend that you look at other options then decide for yourself which meets your needs the best. If it were me, I’d go with Wolfbrae from @belfastboy but I may get want something different than you. You might very well be happiest with the Stetson.

Hi Belfastboy,

Do you make a OR style hat?
Yes, If you send me a picture of exactly what you want and the desired dimensions I can replicate that hat. What size are you? Do you know if you are a long oval or regular oval? Do you want the classic OR color? A note to consider is that the postage from Canada to Israel will be expensive. I sent a wide brimmed western hat to Cyprus recently and it cost $160. A narrower brimmed hat would be less but not a lot less.

Exactly this in the fawn or brown mix.. I'm a 7.5, and I think long oval. TBH it probably won't be worth it with shipping, but since other members highly recommend your work, I'd like to know what the estimate is. Do you have pictures of something you made that's similar?

https://stetson.com/products/open-road-6x-cowboy-hat-brown-mix

https://stetson.com/products/open-road-6x-cowboy-hat-fawn
The OR is pretty basic....nothing special to it that separates it from another hat....just a basic style with a Cattlemen's crease. Do you want a soft vintage feel to it or the more stiffer version that comes from the Stetson factory? Check out the Wolfbrae thread here in the Lounge and my Instagram page.....@gaultrobert for pictures of my work. I made an OR for myself a while back but with a wider brim not the 2 3/4" as in the model you referenced.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
I've had a 6X and the RD, and I think Stetson Royal DeLuxe OR is a fine hat, certainly nicer than a 6X. No, I don't think I would wear it in really bad weather, but if you want a Stetson OR (and why shouldn't you?) I think this should be considered.

IMG_9655.jpeg

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Okay, I don't know much about making hats. I didn't realize it's so easy to make.

Seems like a cool hobby to turn into a gig. Unfortunately everywhere most homes here are condos with no garages and materials and tools are way too expensive. I've botique ideas before but that always stopped me.

Anyways

How much does it run?

I think I'd just want it stiff. Granted it's a pain in the car, but since I can't afford one here it's not a problem. In winter I wear a Filson with a stiff brim. Occasionally it whacks into something on the bus.
I don't want to discourage you from a custom hat if that's what you want. But if you've left behind a Stetson, and you want a stiff OR style hat, go back and have another look at the Akubra Campdraft. They will check all your boxes: weather, you can bash it however you want, OR style look included,

This is one of mine, brim up, Harry Truman style (pinched). But you can do the Cattleman's crease as well.
E17DDFC7-BF53-496E-975C-D44736289D0E.jpeg

I don't want to discourage you from a custom hat if that's what you want. But if you've left behind a Stetson, and you want a stiff OR style hat, go back and have another look at the Akubra Campdraft. They will check all your boxes: weather, you can bash it however you want, OR style look included,

This is one of mine, brim up, Harry Truman style (pinched). But you can do the Cattleman's crease as well.
View attachment 492019
Akubra hats represent about the best value in a factory made hat. For the money they really can't be beat if that is what you want.

Horses for Courses!

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
The crown on the campdraft looks much higher, is that just the way it's bashed?
It is higher. It is much closer to traditional Open Road dimensions. It can be bashed with some tricks to lower it a bit, but it will never look like the modern OR.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
Look through the gallery of pictures in the thread AKUBRA CAMPDRAFT here. It is filled with great pictures of the hat bashed with a cattleman's. Some guys here really are great at it and have produced beautiful cattleman's creases with CDs.

FWIW, I started out thinking I wanted my CDs to look cattleman style, and wound up loving the Truman pinch. That's the great thing about them--you can do what you want.

The current Campdraft has a very average 5 ½” open crown. You can crease it where it looks very similar in height to the current Open Road. A 5 ½” open crown is certainly not a tall crown and lower than most western hats. It’s a classic dress hat crown height and it certainly looks a lot lower on most people. Look the the several threads we have here on the Campdraft and see how it looks on others. Angles and proportions make a huge difference on how a hat looks in photos. As a size 7 ½ I doubt you’ll think the crown looks too tall once it’s creased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points