Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering shirt collar rebuilding...experiences?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
7797983798_4d0de731bd_o.png

Many of us into our difficult middle years find ourselves with a closet of perfectly good shirts whose collars we can't button. Tie-wearing, once done with a confident flair, becomes Hobson's choice: either look drunk with your collar open, or look and feel noticeably uncomfortable with it fastened.

This business, run by Mike Maldonado of San Antonio, offers to make larger collars from white shirting or from your own shirttail, which Mike will replace with fabric of your choice, for $23 per shirt plus shipping.

But has anyone used Mike's services? Is anyone else doing this to OTR shirts? Any and all experiences, referrals, etc., appreciated.

Last edited:

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
I haven't used this service, but I could foresee some issues.

The main one would be that the new collar would have to be attached to a shirt body that was designed to have a smaller collar.

For example, if you had a 16 inch collar and added one inch, the tailor would then have to re-attach it. So, in theory, wouldn't there be an extra half inch "overhang" on each end of the collar? How do they get the extra material into the body of the shirt to avoid the overhang?

I noticed on the website that they don't have any before and after pictures. I'd like to see the collar both buttoned and unbuttoned before and after.

You could do a trial with one shirt and see if you like the results.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This may sound naive...isn't it possible to just shift the button on the collar? That's what I do...
Sometimes it works. Mostly it creates a big ugly gap, and the crooked button placket down below only calls attention to it.

I messed around with a junked shirt to try to figure out where extra material might come from. You'd need to make a new neckband (aka stand) for the new collar, then find a place for more material where the neckband met the body. That would presumably be in the yoke area, at the back between the shoulders. I don't know if the body material might pucker or buckle - it would take a tailor to sus that out.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The purists among you might feel agrieved at this. At some black tie events, I like to wear shirts that can only be described as outlandish.
Or, more succinctly, LOUD. My particular favourite is the black and white pop art patterns of the sixties. In order to be presentable at the door, and long before the alcohol has flowed, I need to look, suited and booted. My shirt will sport a stiffened white collar, double, fold over cuff and a white bib front. To achieve this, I either buy a shirt that has caught my eye, or make one. Then it's simply a question of buying an old dress shirt, they are usually in very good condition for they get little wear, unpick the collar, cuffs and bib, and simply transfer them to the loud dress shirt.
To enlarge a shirt would be a similar operation, you need to remove the collar, if it's worn, it's easy enough to repair using the shirt tail, or if looks smart, replace the original collar with a white one. Now the difficult bit. You need to unpick the seem on each side all down the front, where the buttons and button holes are, first removing the buttons. Next you need to re-seem the two fronts shortening the small amount of hem. It's really useful if you have access to an overlocker. Ok now your shirt is wider but, your buttonholes won't line up. That's because the the strip of material down the front of the shirt is doubled over, for both stength and asthetics. You can either make the button holes slightly bigger and use a bigger button, or carefully patch the hole and then renew. And if you are still with me, you could also get a new shirt on ebay, and make some nice cleaning cloths with the old one.
By the way, I do a lot of ballroom dancing, which is why I go to numerous black tie events. Why should the ladies have the monopoly on the peacock appearance? I love nothing more than to take the jacket off and hear the sound of approval, or more often than not, disapproval.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haha. Good story, GHT. So much effort just for a bit of rebellion (and attention). I propably wouldn't like your shirts but I like the spirit. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Haha. Good story, GHT. So much effort just for a bit of rebellion (and attention). I propably wouldn't like your shirts but I like the spirit. ;)
So do I. Reminds me a bit of Frank Trumbauer, the jazz saxophonist turned federal aviation inspector. He would lecture to pilots on "Things Aren't What They Seem," in a natty DB blazer, crisp white shirt and tie. At the end of his talk, he'd remove the blazer to show that his shirt was cut to ribbons. "Things aren't what they seem!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran