Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contrast stitching thoughts

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think it tends to look tacky when there's too much contrast. It's a signature of the 1970s. Subtle is better, but that's just my opinion. Also, lighter thread will show dirt, or really any kind of flaw.
I can't think of anything else to say as what was just said above expresses my sentiments exactly.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I love contrast stitching. I purposely had it done on my second Himel jacket and on both of my pairs of Clinch engineer boots. However, I think it very much depends on the maker and the exact shade of the leather and stitching. Personally, I think contrast stitching looks better on jackets with very high stitch count such as Himel and most Japanese makers. To me, wider stitches makes the contrast stand out too much. That said, I have seen Aero jackets with contrast stitching they I very much liked.

Also, the contrast shouldn't be too crazy. I have seen a lot of Aero jackets with what almost looks like white stitching. A more tan color would still offer good enough contrast, but not be too tacky. My Himel jacket is a medium brown with light tan contrast stitching. It's not crazy, but it is noticable.

Finally, I think it looks best on jackets that don't have quite as much stitching being done. This also calls too much attention and looks a little tacky. My favorite jackets with contrast stitching are always cafe racers and car coats.

^ Absolutely. Less is more with regard to contrast, particularly when it's stark. The navy vic BR with cream white stitching is gorgeous but it loses it's appeal quickly on a sunburst back.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm personally not a fan of visible stitches on anything not even on denim that I would personally wear, so the idea of a contrast stitches is way beyond my zone. However I can appreciate it when done right with the subtle complimenting color on others

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
^ Absolutely. Less is more with regard to contrast, particularly when it's stark. The navy vic BR with cream white stitching is gorgeous but it loses it's appeal quickly on a sunburst back.
Exactly. I would not do contrast stitching on a sunburst back. That said, navy with cream stitching sounds heavenly.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Oddly enough, when the Sunburst model first came out the contrast stitching got raves while the tonal stitched ones got poo-poo'd.
I can definitely see that happening. Me from a year ago definitely would have been all about the most contrasting stitching possible.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Examples from Freewheelers:
DE8BB3C2-C745-472E-8013-E5C6EC2E588A.jpeg
898A0C40-971C-4E5F-9B74-270ECA10BEC4.jpeg
78910F30-FC57-43A5-BD29-01B8B6AD7EC6.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner