Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Seven Custom - Recommendations

BisonT4R

New in Town
The hardwarmer pockets on the Seven are angled and any body movement naturally seems to help mine crease back inwards rather than puff out. I do recall some people saying when I was seeking advice on mine that the pockets may bulge but it has been a non-issue for me. Additionally, Aero does a great job of reinforcing the edges of the pockets so they do seem very stiff.

I was also looking at the Badalassi when making my decison. My test jacket was in Badalassi and it was squeaky as hell. It was hard to pass on as it was a beautiful leather. Might want to ask Carrie to see if this squeak still persists in recent batches.

My Vicenza was slightly stiff at first, but it was a nice medium weight and thickness so it started softening quickly.

Goat is wonderful wearing but I never did like the graining.
I’d prefer to go with the zipper less hand warmers - good to know about the reinforced edges. I just don’t want bulging. Good insights.

Lots of good advice across different hides here so I’m getting half a dozen samples from Carrie. Vicenza, Baladassi seem like the mainstream choices, but the goat, unfinished, jerky, and kelpie also seem like they’ve got followings. I’m going to see what the current batches are like also.

BisonT4R

New in Town
I have a few ideas for your seven. 2” Front drop, smaller neck hole, thinner leather in sleeve gussets, and zipper that ends 1.5” up from bottom. A Seven with these tweaks would be just about perfect.
All good suggestions. Thurston said I can get the zipper that ends all the way down to 0.75” from the bottom (I’ll see what the best placement is to reduce flair). And I’m definitely getting the front length and back length extended - I’ve spent my adult life being frustrated that awesome clothes have a 25” back/front length.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
The Board Racer/Seven pattern has a very low margin for error. Even if you nail a perfect fit, movement and degrees of freedom will be quite restricted, especially when zipped up. It actually works exactly how a utilitarian racing shirt should - almost zero give so the jacket doesn't slide in the event of a crash

It sure looks good, and that keeps the affinity going for some time. Once practically takes over, atleast I have realized that the BR pattern is not a comfortable one to be in..

In addition, even a minor weight gain makes the jacket pretty much unwearable when zipped up

To sum up, pls be very careful when going for this style. I would have suggested the cafe racer, but Aero's CR has that wierd neck hanging issue which makes the jacket unwearable for me, and a lot of other forum members too I believe

If you are okay with Simmon Bilt, they have a brilliant pattern in the form of Tailgunner, with exceptional freedom of movement, and looks great too.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Board Racer/Seven pattern has a very low margin for error. Even if you nail a perfect fit, movement and degrees of freedom will be quite restricted, especially when zipped up. It actually works exactly how a utilitarian racing shirt should - almost zero give so the jacket doesn't slide in the event of a crash

It sure looks good, and that keeps the affinity going for some time. Once practically takes over, atleast I have realized that the BR pattern is not a comfortable one to be in..

In addition, even a minor weight gain makes the jacket pretty much unwearable when zipped up

To sum up, pls be very careful when going for this style. I would have suggested the cafe racer, but Aero's CR has that wierd neck hanging issue which makes the jacket unwearable for me, and a lot of other forum members too I believe

If you are okay with Simmon Bilt, they have a brilliant pattern in the form of Tailgunner, with exceptional freedom of movement, and looks great too.
And now I'm getting more and more curious about my board racer lol.
Aero told me that the PHWM is descended from the Boardracer and in this respect I hope that the BR will fit me just as well as my PHWM.

BisonT4R

New in Town
@trainspotter Thanks for the insights. I originally picked out the Wayfarer but wanted a more slimed down jacket (in the sleeves) without the half belt design. I wish Aero included a few more patterns without the half belt.

I did see sone comment on here at one point about adding shoulder gussets or an “action back” to a jacket. Not sure if there’s an option like this for the Seven to increase movement.

jglf

A-List Customer
I have a few ideas for your seven. 2” Front drop, smaller neck hole, thinner leather in sleeve gussets, and zipper that ends 1.5” up from bottom. A Seven with these tweaks would be just about perfect.
I asked for a front drop on my seven a few months back and was told that they won’t do it with this pattern. Might as well ask again as I know a few members on here were able to get the drop. I guess it depends on who cuts and patterns your jacket who decides.

jglf

A-List Customer
I went from a 40 PHYM to a 42 BR to gain some shoulder mobility, and so I could lightly layer under it. The BR is an inch bigger in the shoulders and chest than the PHYM which has made a world of difference in mobility. The only negative is that the jacket is a little big with just a t-shirt on, but since the torso is a concave pattern it still looks neat. Both jackets are in goatskin which is extremely comfortable. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the thick stiff leathers.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
For the OP’s reference…

Here is a shot showing the maximum pocket flare/bulge I experience and I even had to exaggerate my motion to illustrate (my gut isn’t that big yet)..

I also dropped the front zip to 1.5” from the bottom. I do not have any problem with flare and it has not caused any problems when sitting down.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 104

BisonT4R

New in Town
For the OP’s reference…

Here is a shot showing the maximum pocket flare/bulge I experience and I even had to exaggerate my motion to illustrate (my gut isn’t that big yet)..

I also dropped the front zip to 1.5” from the bottom. I do not have any problem with flare and it has not caused any problems when sitting down.
Thanks for the zipper reference. And those pocket bulges aren’t at all substantial - especially given I’ll be using the hand warmers.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm still Team Zipper on pockets. When you really use the pockets, they wear out minimally. That can look good on certain styles of jackets, but not on all. At the latest when sitting or other movements, the pockets open and ruin the figure ;-)
That's why I usually have zippers when I have a choice and it doesn't go against the style of the jacket. Or I don't have pockets at all.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is speculation. I wouldn't call it Vicenza then. People have theorized that a lot of different leathers are the same as "Vicenza" and have usually been wrong. The only ones confirmed to use it are Aero and Good Wear.
I am speculating. Based on this:
vic.jpg

I do know that the minimum order qty for Victoria SRL is very high, I tried to get some, almost triple Horween's wholesale minimum order qty. And I am guessing again that guys like Goodwear and Norshor go on group buys for their material. And I do have russet vicenza bits on one of my two tone Daytona. It is what lead me to believe what I speculated.

My biggest point is, unless the vicenza batch is soft enough, I don't think it's the best candidate for the BR jacket. The OP really needs to get the fit jacket in either the current Vicenza or the Badalassi to check out the drape for himself.

The BR fits very trim, literally a button shirt made in leather, not a jacket. Could really benefit from a leather that has a little stretch and bends and molds. Some Vicenza batch can do it some batch cannot. This is why the fit jacket from TB is critical. Needs to be in a leather that the OP most likely would chose to be effective.

BisonT4R

New in Town
I am speculating. Based on this:
View attachment 511413
I do know that the minimum order qty for Victoria SRL is very high, I tried to get some, almost triple Horween's wholesale minimum order qty. And I am guessing again that guys like Goodwear and Norshor go on group buys for their material. And I do have russet vicenza bits on one of my two tone Daytona. It is what lead me to believe what I speculated.

My biggest point is, unless the vicenza batch is soft enough, I don't think it's the best candidate for the BR jacket. The OP really needs to get the fit jacket in either the current Vicenza or the Badalassi to check out the drape for himself.

The BR fits very trim, literally a button shirt made in leather, not a jacket. Could really benefit from a leather that has a little stretch and bends and molds. Some Vicenza batch can do it some batch cannot. This is why the fit jacket from TB is critical. Needs to be in a leather that the OP most likely would chose to be effective.
Really insightful. I’ll ask Carrie about the current Vicenza batch. I believe I saw that the Unfinished HH is stiffer than the Vicenza but I’ll also check that. I did see that Thedi does custom cafe racers in deer which definitely has the suppleness to move well with the body - I’m going to ask Thurston about that this week.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Really insightful. I’ll ask Carrie about the current Vicenza batch. I believe I saw that the Unfinished HH is stiffer than the Vicenza but I’ll also check that. I did see that Thedi does custom cafe racers in deer which definitely has the suppleness to move well with the body - I’m going to ask Thurston about that this week.
Unfinish horsehide feels softer than most Vicenza but drapes about the same. Even though Vicenza is a finished hide I believe if the Vicenza's stiffness is tolerable in the tight pattern for you, then unfinished horsehide will for sure be ok too. Hope I made sense there.
I get going through Thurston for Aero jackets for US customers. If it doesn't work out can exchange for a Thedi, they carry both brands. And Thurston Thedi prices can be slightly better than going direct to Thedi. Wierd. Thedi also has a bunch of different hides, deer, goatskin, horse and cows.

BisonT4R

New in Town
@Canuck Panda @handymike I like this Thedi play after seeing their variety of hides. One of my favorite articles of clothing is a pair of natural Swedish elk gloves from Hestra and I see that Thedi does deer and elk. I also saw Almost Vintage Style’s write up of his favorite leather jacket - a Freewheelers deer hide sunset jacket in a honey finish (maybe it was natural).

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
@Canuck Panda @handymike I like this Thedi play after seeing their variety of hides. One of my favorite articles of clothing is a pair of natural Swedish elk gloves from Hestra and I see that Thedi does deer and elk. I also saw Almost Vintage Style’s write up of his favorite leather jacket - a Freewheelers deer hide sunset jacket in a honey finish (maybe it was natural).

Okay Bison…. Now you and I are definitely of like minds….

After having my Seven for a year or so, I realized I also needed something with a bit more room to add a layer for the colder Colorado weather.

I am currently waiting for a Thedi Niko through Thurston. It has been delayed several months waiting on the hide, dammit. If you have the budget for an elk or deer Thedi, I would make that a serious priority over a Seven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko