Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conversion Fodder

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Here is my $43 "conversion fodder", I mean, recent purchase from e-bay:

Stetson Legendary Rancher Style Hat - Model SF0401
This Stetson hat is like new, having been in the box since purchase and never worn.
The hat is black, with a four inch brim, size 7-7/8. It is a 4X Beaver.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

It is now chilling in the freezer. However, I expect a trip to Batsakes' Spa soon for a "brim trim" and "ribbon treatment". Maybe a little "steam bath" and "crown massage" to go with that.

Bob

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Well, after spending two days bagged in the freezer, one day bagged at room temperature with moth balls, one day bagged at room temperature without moth balls, two days bagged in the freezer again, and being vacuumed counterclockwise with an upholstery attachment, I finally was able to put my Stetson Rancher (soon to be fedora) on my head.

The hat seemed to fit from front to back, but I had a lot of room on the sides. From this, I gather I'm more of a 7-3/4 long oval. I will have to shim the sides.

As to the conversion to a fedora, I decided to visit Batsakes' this weekend to let them trim the brim and add a 1-3/4" ribbon (since they know what they are doing and I do not). I also decided not to steam the hat, but to manually work out some of the stiffness. (I got the brim almost flat and almost worked out the center and side dents from the crown.)

Here is what I hope to end up with:

medium_StetsonPinnacle2.jpg

One thing that surprised me was that some of the black dye has come off on my hands. I am assuming that the hat did not go through a thorough rinsing after being dyed. I'm glad that I did not wear the hat outside during the snow/sleet/rain that we've had the last couple of days. I have a feeling that if I did, my face would be covered with black dye.

Anyway, I have to ask if it is normal for dye from new Stetsons to come off like that?

Bob

citRon

A-List Customer
Right now I am eyeing a Resistol 4x for a possible conversion myself. The dye running has me concerned though. I wonder if a good soaking/rinsing would alleviate that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR