Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Again not my size: Suit by Ruskin, made in 1969 from original 1930's heavy wool fabric.
Beautiful multicolored herringbone weave with pinstripes. I wish I was smaller...

1940sDemobSuit4-1.jpg

1940sDemobSuit2-1.jpg

1940sDemobSuit5.jpg

1940sDemobSuit13.jpg

I have no idea. But the apparent DAKS waist treatment would suggest the timing is about right. There's just no evidence to suggest that fabric was definitely made in the 1930s. What would it matter anyway, when the fabric was made?

I was just pointing out that this guy has "history" vis a vis his claims for vintage suits. He used - before reputedly being forced to stop by eBay - to date almost anything, 80s garbage from C&A included, to the 1950s era. "Our trained eye …" "Years of vintage dealing tells us that this dates to approximately …" etc. etc. I hate to think how many people have been fooled by this guy into buying said 80's C&A, M&S etc. suits thinking they were from the 50s. The problem is that this guy (he's very well known here for another of his ex-businesses) really does know his stuff. And he gets lots of nice vintage through his hands. He just tries - or at least used to and was exposed as doing so - to rip people off.

Beware snake oil salesmen!

Mario said:
Well, good to know, then. I've had no dealings with this seller so far. Still: the fabric looks really nice.
So you believe this entire suit - including the fabric - to be of a much more recent date?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
It's not unbelieveable that fabric could have been hanging around for 30-odd years before being made up into a suit, but it is unprovable.

Speculation turned into hype.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
It's good to have you guys around...

But then I think that I'd still have bought the suit had it been my size - regardless of the age of the fabric. The suit as a whole just looks nice enough to me. I absolutely love the color and the cut.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
This seller is quite good at what he does. Very impressive. It is a shame he is not 100% honest. Especially because his knowledge and experience, and style all lead a buyer to believe he is a reputable and totally honest merchant.

I would think that with his skills, he could make a great living without taking any liberties with the truth.

When I sell, I try to err on the side of caution, and am sometimes tempted to not mention something I think is not important. but in the end, I always do. My repeat business and high rating make me proud.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Take this particular seller's claims with a rather more than gigantic pinch of salt. He's known for his … errrr … unsubstantiated leaps of logic. There is absolutely no evidence this fabric was made in the 1930s.

I've saved quite a few loungers from being ripped off by this seller.

bk

Me being one....says he and dips his lid....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I got a great deal here, even with the blue/purple colour run. It's not original to the shirt, but it doesn't look half bad with the nautical scene. What a pattern!!!! Machine washable heavy rayon. Sorry, repeatclicks!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280495149868&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

bk
What's intetesting about this shirt is that the figure is on a board, rather than water skis. That puts the probable date back a little further, maybe to the 30's rather than the 40's or 50's. That's just my guess.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Yeah, work pants are very sought after. Particularly in the larger sizes. An awful lot of people in the vintage 'scene' seem to prefer the rather more casual look of work trousers/work shirt than suit and tie.

bk
It occurs to me that this might be part of the whole "authentic" trend that has been discussed in another thread. Along with pabst beer, i imagine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats